Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A New Direction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A New Direction
    Posted: February 02 2023 at 05:01
Many bands/artists continue on a record-tour-repeat-cycle with every album sounding similar. There is nothing wrong with that, but how many artists can you mention that don't do this? Artists/bands that have at least four musically different releases.

I'll start with...
Frank Zappa
Todd Rundgren
David Bowie
King Crimson

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - February 02 2023 at 05:32
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 06:36
Hi,

To me, this is what determines a great musician from everyone else. The changes seem to suggest that the music for them is from the heart and not from the numbers, or the crowd of fans that supposedly demand the same thing, which you and I know is a record company thing attempting to sell as many units as they did before.

I'm not sure that all artists are just song makers and hit hopefuls, although we could say that it appears to be the case, but when you look at the AM Radio listings in America, it changes, too!

Another addition ... or thoughts for a couple.

Neil Young

Tangerine Dream ... though many will think that it is too much instrument related, but they did change and with 2 women in the band for a long time, they made their material sound even better than before. And the new material was just as good, although we did not seem to take to it as much.

Klaus Schulze ... difficult to suggest this, since his material was always about "addition" of yet another track to the 15 already going ... but starting with analog and then learning digital and doing incredible improvisations (WORKS), and a lot more, would make him fit ... although not in the sense of a rock band where things are so recognizable AND a lot easier.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 06:51
Ulver
Opeth
Anathema
The Gathering

Genesis
Rush
Pink Floyd
Marillion

Edited by Cristi - February 02 2023 at 11:45
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 06:54
Talk Talk (and they only have five albums)
Can
Amon Düül II
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Art Zoyd
Kate Bush
Miles Davis
Jethro Tull
Banco
Franco Battiato
Brian Eno
Of course Mosh is right about Tangerine Dream
...all of the best really...

Edited by Lewian - February 02 2023 at 06:57
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 07:06
Lots mentioned already that would have come to mind.

I'll mention Swans.

From Noise Rock, No Wave, Industrial Rock in the early albums to Experimental Rock, Post-Punk, Gothic Rock to Neofolk and Gothic Country and Ethereal Wave to Post-Punk to Post-Rock to Krautyrocky experimental post-rock to avant folk and often a combination of those on albums. The music can vary considerably depending on the period, album and track while often maintaining certain qualities that make it quite uniquely Swansesque.

EDIT: Had done this before but removed them. Here are some key albums to highlight changes.

Filth (1983) Noise Rock, No Wave, Industrial Rock
Children of God (1987) Experimental Rock, Post-Punk, Gothic Rock
White Light From the Mouth of Infinity (1991) (Neofolk, Gothic Rock)
Soundtracks for the Blind (1996) Post-Rock, Experimental
The Glowing Man (2016) Post-Rock with Krautrock qualities
leaving meaning. (2019) more avant folk qualities

One finds a certain eclecticism on individual albums, and one finds qualities repeated. It is very different than when it started, but it's more like three eras that could imagine a significant difference in audience appreciation and more like two especially.

Edited by Logan - February 02 2023 at 10:38
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 07:15
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Many bands/artists continue on a record-tour-repeat-cycle with every album sounding similar. There is nothing wrong with that, but how many artists can you mention that don't do this? Artists/bands that have at least four musically different releases.

I'd surely say that about Pink Floyd, ELP, Genesis and King Crimson - different to me. Wink

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 08:20
But, don't you think that constant change is doing the same all over again?

Edited by fredyair - February 02 2023 at 08:21
Long live Progresive music!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 09:10
Porcupine Tree (Alternative Rock / Neo Prog / Progressive Metal / Space Rock)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 09:10
I'd like to see someone list the 4 'musically different' releases so we can see just how diffrent they really are.
To me different would be  country, rock, jazz,  and top 40 pop music perhaps.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 09:17
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Porcupine Tree (Alternative Rock / Neo Prog / Progressive Metal / Space Rock)
To me those can often sound the same and not be that different when the same band does them.
PT always sounds like PT to me.

Edited by dr wu23 - February 02 2023 at 09:23
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 09:27
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

To me those can often sound the same and not be that different when the same band does them.

Early PT was psychedelic and spacey, they got rid of the psychedelic element, then they got heavier in the 2000s. So yeah, they did change their sound. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 09:52

I'd like to see someone list the 4 'musically different' releases so we can see just how diffrent they really are.
To me different would be  country, rock, jazz,  and top 40 pop music perhaps.
I would also. Here are my choices. Eager to see other lists. Wink
Frank Zappa - Freak Out, The Grand Wazoo, One Size Fits All, London Symphony Orchestra Vol. 1
Todd Rundgren - Runt, A Wizard a True Star, No World Order, Arena
David Bowie - Space Oddity, Ziggy, Station to Station, Let's Dance
King Crimson - In the Court, Red, Discipline, The Power to Believe
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 10:07
Van der Graaf Generator - The Aerosol Grey Machine, Pawn Hearts, World Record, The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome.

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Eyes Like The Sky, Polygondwanaland, Gumboot Soup, Infest The Rats' Nest.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - February 02 2023 at 10:42
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 10:10
Ween
Motorpsycho 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 10:20
Neil Young

Trans (1982) - New Wave
Old Ways (1985) - Country Rock
Freedom (1989) - Heartland Rock
Psychedelic Pill (2012) - Psychedelic Rock
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 10:48
Although I do want artists to vary their output, I also think that artists should maintain their identity throughout their career. Thus, being eclectic is a balancing act.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 10:56
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Early PT was psychedelic and spacey, they got rid of the psychedelic element, then they got heavier in the 2000s. So yeah, they did change their sound. 

Yes...Wilson did leave some of the psych out as he went on but for me they were always PT with basically the same sound until he started doing solo lps.
Haquin
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 11:27
Maybe for now my first three...
Talk Talk, maybe I cheated a bit but here goes: The Party's Over is synthpop. It's My Life is still kind of synthpop but with great emotional songwriting. The Colour of Spring is glorious art rock. The last two are the invention of post rock. 
Can, Saw Delight is really very different from Landed which is really very different from Future Days which is really very different from Monster Movie.
Amon Düül II, Yeti, Made in Germany, Almost Alive, Nada Moonshine#, I could list probably eight or so so that every single one is quite different from all the others.

I add Kate Bush, The Kick Inside, The Dreaming, The Red Shoes, Fifty Words for Snow

Edited by Lewian - February 02 2023 at 11:31
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 11:32
Devin Townsend:

Extreme Metal: (All of Strapping Young Lad and scattered other projects)
Crossover Prog: Epicloud / Addicted
Ambient: The Puzzle, Snuggles, Devlab, the Hummer
Psychedelic Country: Casualties of Cool

Of course has plenty of work that blends these together, especially the first two but no one would pretend "Skeksis" and "Bend it Like Bender" are the same genre.

Edited by Negoba - February 02 2023 at 11:37
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 11:35
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Although I do want artists to vary their output, I also think that artists should maintain their identity throughout their career. Thus, being eclectic is a balancing act.

I disagree. Let's say an artist has recorded four great albums. Now they record three that are really totally different, maybe even with largely different lineups. Why is this a problem? It doesn't make the earlier albums any weaker, neither will the earlier albums disturb anyone who likes the later ones. Frankly I don't get what "maintaining identity" is good for. By the way, in psychology and philosophy the concept of identity is hugely problematic.

OK I should say I kind of understand what you're getting at... not a fan of Franco Battiato's or Banco's material when they went fully commercial and non-prog, however for me it's enough to say they have albums that I don't like, but good for them if this is what they wanted to do at the time. Probably some would say they lost their identity there but who am I to decide what their identity should be?

Edited by Lewian - February 02 2023 at 11:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>