Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best relaxation / sleeping music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best relaxation / sleeping music
    Posted: March 02 2023 at 11:15
Please give me your best music for sleeping / relaxation / de-stressing! Of course the music can't be fast-paced, nor chaotic, and must be mellow. Smile But perhaps slow-tempo metal would be ok Smile I like to be open-minded Smile Pink Floyd for example sometimes has a heavy sound while at the same time being very relaxing. It does not have to be prog. Here are my favorites! 

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
The Beatles - Abbey Road

Edited by cold103 - March 02 2023 at 11:21
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 11:27
I'm glad you said it doesn't have to be prog. Smile

4 stars 1996: Linda Ronstadt - Dedicated to the One I Love - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkY3wLpwJbWK31Ht-dwxHRrEGyoWqeZrr

AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 11:37
I always go to sleep to music so I understand wanting to find good night songs. Let me name some of my favorites:

-Book of Saturday - King Crimson
-Fat Old Sun - Pink Floyd 
-The Rain Song -Led Zeppelin
-Mother Nature's Son - The Beatles (the Gryphon cover on Raindance is also amazing)
-Don't Let it Show- Alan Parson's Project
-Blood on the Rooftops - Genesis 
-Clown - Argent

I have a whole playlist but these are some of the highlights written by prog/rock bands. Happy Sleeping :)
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 11:39
I bet there are great stuff from the following, but I'm not familiar enough with them to post/mention anything specific: Enya, classical music
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 11:51
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm glad you said it doesn't have to be prog. Smile

4 stars 1996: Linda Ronstadt - Dedicated to the One I Love - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkY3wLpwJbWK31Ht-dwxHRrEGyoWqeZrr

I'm listening to the Linda Ronstadt playlist right now! It's fantastic! Thank you!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 12:00
^ My pleasure. As it happens, I was listening to Marillion's Misplaced Childhood album on repeat play last night as I drifted off to sleep, although I wouldn't recommend it, as every time "Kayleigh" came around again for the second, third and fourth time during the night, I kept thinking, "Oh no, not again." Tongue
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 12:57
Originally posted by AJ Junior AJ Junior wrote:

I always go to sleep to music so I understand wanting to find good night songs. Let me name some of my favorites:

-Book of Saturday - King Crimson
-Fat Old Sun - Pink Floyd 
-The Rain Song -Led Zeppelin
-Mother Nature's Son - The Beatles (the Gryphon cover on Raindance is also amazing)
-Don't Let it Show- Alan Parson's Project
-Blood on the Rooftops - Genesis 
-Clown - Argent

I have a whole playlist but these are some of the highlights written by prog/rock bands. Happy Sleeping :)
Thank you! 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 18:12
Cannibal Corpse: albums, songs, playlists | Listen on Deezer
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 18:15
Well this is easy. Anything that bores you beyond comprehension. Seriously need a thread about snoozy music? LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 18:21
I like a lot of the stuff from the "New Age" period of late 80's to early 90's, that is electronic, interesting, and yet still relaxing, including:

Richard Burmer
Don Harris
Raphael (Disappearing into ?... can't remember the title, but not the Vol. with drums)

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 18:21
Believe it or not, when I was an aspiring sixteen year-old guitarist, I'd listen to this to fall asleep to --

Allan Holdsworth - Road Games CD (album) cover

Edited by Atavachron - March 02 2023 at 18:22
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 18:57
^Tokyo Dream

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - March 02 2023 at 18:58
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 19:01
^ Right--  a very somnambulant record, I'm sure to Allan's dismay . . .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 19:59
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2023 at 23:28
I'm going to commend the OP for their linked choice. The music of Legend of Zelda is absolutely amazing, and it has been amazing for decades. Themes that were created by Koji Kondo in 8-bit sound great in 16-bit, 64-bit, and beyond. The many fully orchestrated works/performances of Zelda music proves the compositional strength of these pieces. Here's a treat from an AMAZING group. Charlie Rosen is usually the bassist but is also the arranger, conductor, and leader of 8-Bit Big Band. His arrangements sometimes take the composition further into what it was always meant to be, or, they take it to completely new and unexplored styles. Check out their version of Zelda's Lullaby, with a killer flute solo.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2023 at 03:05
I often use electronic artist Thom Brennan with his lovely cascading liquid synths but Neuronium/Michel Huygen comes a close second!
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2023 at 04:26
I think that you should try the post-rock genre: from Talk Talk (80's) to Kwoon (France) and Leech (Switzerland), and many other artists ... Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2023 at 04:32
Hi,

Weird to me that someone is mentioning rock bands and SONGS for this OP. 

There is a lot of meditation music out there and in my book none of the things mentioned actually fit, and while some may have some soothing moments in its entirety too much of it is a song.

Most meditation and relaxation music is kind of "endless" and is able to carry you through it, and one could even suggest ENO and his many albums on the subject, not to mention a whole series of AMBIENT albums way back when as it was not thought of as "music".

I'm even afraid to make a list of many things that I listen to that could be said to be for relaxation and sleeping, although at my age, I no longer need "supplements" to get to my sleeping state. I use meditation or chants for that, since any kind of music tends to wake up the visible spectrum and create a "film" of sorts for me.

The best music for the specific request, would be SILENCE. Though in the age of the internet, the word "silence" is an oxymoron!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2023 at 04:56
Maybe the most relaxing album for me is Edgar Froese's Epsilon in Malaysian Pale.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2023 at 05:04
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Maybe the most relaxing album for me is Edgar Froese's Epsilon in Malaysian Pale.

Hi,

I would put on "Alpha Centauri" and "Atem" ... though I would skip "Phaedra" for its hardcore sequencer stuff and move to "Stratosfear" that is much softer and less power driven by sequencers at least that I know.

But there is a lot of stuff out there that belongs in this category, that I am not sure the OP might not exactly be interested in ... I really am scared to post my list ...
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>