Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - Mirror to the Sky (New Album)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2023 at 22:12
this is a real shame that These guys feel they need to release 3rd rate prog. Jon has put together a strong band and doing a “Hackett” and will tour great Yes music - might be good
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2023 at 23:30
Is this a threat?
Oh well, another beautiful piece of artwork to admire at least.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 05:57
Personally, I'm not that excited. :|
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 05:58
Welp, I guess it'll be interesting to hear what a 14 minute Yes song sounds like in the year of our lord, 2023. I just can't really get behind Jon NotAnderson, the other day I accident remembered that Arc of Life album and god what I would do to re-forget about it.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 13:23
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

So, Steve Howe then.

We're quickly approaching <span ="ilfuvd"="" lang="en"><span ="hgkelc"="">The ship of Theseus paradox.
</span></span>

or, "I've had this broom for over 30 years now... it's had 8 new heads and 5 new handles" LOL

I looked at the length of the tracks and thought.. Big smile

then I looked at the line-up and thought.. Ermm

then I considered that 'Fly From Here' is considered their strongest post JA album and thought... Ouch

then I came to the conclusion that Yes were finally done after 'Magnification'... Approve

Many of us went to the Reunion Tour shows (that was 30 f**king years ago) and enjoyed them while still feeling like an honest to goodness Yes album had not been released since 1977. Now, the name is beyond sullied. What happens Steve Howe is no longer wanting to do this? Does Geoff Downes become the next Dread Pirate Roberts?
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 13:35
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Many of us went to the Reunion Tour shows (that was 30 f**king years ago) and enjoyed them while still feeling like an honest to goodness Yes album had not been released since 1977. Now, the name is beyond sullied. What happens Steve Howe is no longer wanting to do this? Does Geoff Downes become the next Dread Pirate Roberts?

Count me in, Ian... I saw (all 8 of) them in the Round at Birmingham NEC Arena on the 1991 Union tour, but they have long been beyond parody... I won't go through their discography, but since 1980, they've released precious few GOOD 'YES' albums... Talk, the Keystudio material and Magnification would be the only ones worthy of the name for me...  
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 13:41
We need a new subgenre for this stage of Yes

Geriatric yacht prog

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 13:55
Quite a lot of negativity here about an album that probably nobody here has heard yet, and in fact nobody of you needs to listen to if you think you have better things to do. Why don't you just let them do what they feel like doing? I guess it doesn't hurt anyone.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 14:35
I sort of find it interesting that ELP used to be the butt of these type of comments. Then it was Genesis, Pink Floyd and now another of our 'hero groups' has befallen the same fate. Who's next?

Edited by JD - March 09 2023 at 14:36
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 14:38
someone shared the first song :

Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 14:39
I'm excited!! As always when YES release a new album as - after their 70's peak period - there is at least one great (underline) track.

Their most recent release 'The Quest' nearly made it to my PA AOTY list.

However, I think they should enhance the production by selecting a proper producer. I know the band often felt the production was lacking on their post-70's output but their recent output should have been left to a proper producer, sorry Steve!

Edited by earlyprog - March 09 2023 at 14:41
The-Station-Pilot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The-Station-Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2023 at 04:20
I was pleasantly surprised by the new track, a definite improvement over anything from Heaven & Earth and The Quest. I'd hesitate to call it a return to form but it is definitely a step in the right direction. Best thing they've done in years by a wide margin.

Fingers crossed the rest of the album holds up too.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2023 at 05:49
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

someone shared the first song :

Sounds good on 128 kbps, so the proper CD (or vinyl) has to be much better. Thanks for the link!

Edited by Heart of the Matter - March 10 2023 at 05:49
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2023 at 05:52
^ is it this song?
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2023 at 06:01
^ Wow! That was amazing. They sound just like the classic YES line-up of YES-teryear that we've all come to know and love. Well, some of us, anyway. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 10 2023 at 06:02
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2023 at 06:03
It sounds like latter day Yes to me. If you like that it'll probably scratch the itch.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2023 at 06:38
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

This is very exciting news! Let's just hope it lives up to the high standards set by The Quest, although I'll be disappointed if it doesn't include a Beatles tribute. Big smile

I hear you Paul!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2023 at 07:41
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

It's always surreal to see a band go on for so long that there are more albums that nobody will remember than albums from their classic period. And I think Yes are pretty much reaching that threshold. If people are still willing to buy/listen, all the more power to them (hell, I'm not trying to be a hater), but it always makes me wonder how they see their own history, seeing as they have like 10-15 years of prime Yes and then like 40 years of albums that nobody really cares about.

Also, I was going to comment on how it's kind of funny how they just have the most typical, expected Roger Dean covers for their albums these days, but this one does look pretty damn nice, not gonna lie.

Well said -but they reached that threshold - the band isn’t made up of extraordinary players or composers for decades  
Th new song sounds like the last album - doesn’t move me

Edited by twosteves - March 10 2023 at 07:46
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2023 at 10:22
The Good - I like Sherwood's (deliberate) channeling of his inner Squire. The bass riff is wonderful.

The Bad - Davison's voice. I think it is weedy. It is not the fact that he is not Jon Anderson, I don't like it because it is Jon Davison.

The Ugly - bloody hell, it's boring, isn't it? Far too many words, no emotion whatsoever - indeed, listening to it sounds very much like attending an astronomy lecture at your local college - fine if you like that sort of thing, I suppose, but I want a lot more feeling in my music.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2023 at 12:51
Just had a listen. Take Davidson's vocals out and it could be any band. No really yes feel there in the music IMHO. And as stated above...YAWN...a bit of a bland snoozer. No real dynamics or as said,emotion, in what I'm hearing. It almost sounds like a pre-effects feed from a sound board, dry and compressed.
Oh well, nothing I'll be rushing to add to my collection at this point.

Next track please.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>