Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - Mirror to the Sky (New Album)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2023 at 14:44
What perplexes me is that I quite like Jon Davison's vocals when he, say, sings for Glass Hammer, and yet what I just listened to wasn't euphonic to my ears. Doesn't help that the composition is a bit dull.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2023 at 15:13
Of course Yes can do what they like, and we can say No to it. Cut from the Stars may be the most boring music I have heard. It is so tedious, mundane, generic. I feel like Yes has taken a blasé attitude to the next level with this mundane and generic piece. Kudos on that, I suppose, as it makes ennui such a palpable, and thoroughly tiresome experience. The colour of this world feels a little greyer now, things lack a little less taste, it is such a humdrum existence. Now I'm depressed. The video made it even worse in that it is so cheesy having those trite lyrics on screen in that manner. I have seen quite a few music videos like that (not just fan-made ones), and it is not a portent for good or exciting things to come. If this is very indicative of what to expect on a Mirror to the Sky, then that is a very lifeless, colourless, and tiresome reflection -- a meaningless, banal, world. There are many programs now that can create much more vibrant music than this. This pap may be a harbinger for the end of man's creativity and the rise of AI in all things. Maybe that's the point. I remember a time when Yes was full of life.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 04:56
I wasn't positively impressed by the first song. Rather sterile sounding with a toss of lyrics.

It's a band doing an impression of different incarnations of Yes all at once.

Edited by mathman0806 - March 11 2023 at 04:57
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 05:34
This is what I said about The Quest, and it is quite the same impression I have about this new track...:
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Also listened to it yesterday; needed two attempts to get to the end.
No, it is not good. Was this a new prog band, I would indeed call it prog by numbers with hints of Yes. But this is Yes, and it is much too bleak to be Yes music. It is better than H&E indeed, but it is very forgettable music. I don't hear any spontaneity, any creativity, any pleasure they might have had in making this. It is just bleak.

It is definitely clear for me that in the songwriting department the good ones have left this band. There are some nice melodies, on one song some above average singing (I'm thinking of Leave Well Alone...). For the rest it is hardly going beyond elevator music, apart from a couple of moments that might disturb the passengers. Steve Howe shows that he can give guitar lessons to beginners with all the tone scales he's spreading around. The orchestrations overall couldn't get more cliché than what they are on this album, and the synth are regularly - indeed - on the cheesy side. Best track in my opinion is The Ice Bridge, which only underlines the fact that for good songwriting they have to bring in someone else...

Have not much to add to most of the comments of my fellow forum members. It could be worse (as some tracks from The Quest show), but this is a Yes tribute band using and abusing some Yes formulas, without the inspiration and songwriting skills necessary to lift it above average. And especially without any originality.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 07:25
the only great Yes music has 5 great one of a kind musicians in it - this has always been true and still is - this band is down to one and will never make great Yes music- nothing worse then bad prog.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 07:43
Prog-lite? Smooth Prog? EZ Listening Prog? Prog-by-Numbers? Prog-zak?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 11:11
Nursing home prog! AOP (Adult Oriented Prog)! Yawn prog! Cash-in Legacy Prog!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 16:23
It's like using a brass screw for a job that a toaster and a pool skimmer are supposed to do.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 17:09
Yacht Prog? Soft prog? IDGAF prog?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 17:59
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The video made it even worse in that it is so cheesy having those trite lyrics on screen in that manner. I have seen quite a few music videos like that (not just fan-made ones), and it is not a portent for good or exciting things to come.

Hi,

I was thinking a bit of the same thing. I thought the lyrics were a bit sappy and not that great, and they need to hire a poet to help create lyrics, instead of this kind of stuff that is quite meaningless all around, despite its trying to sound and be good.

There are times when it's over. And while I think that these folks can do as they please, in essence they are trying to continue something that is long gone and has lost its spark.

I saw BD way back when on one of Chris' last tours here near Portland, and my comments were that he was a total amateur using old theatrical expressions to "add meaning" to Jon's words, and it was a horrible acting job. Hearing him sing this particular song, I can not help feeling that he simply has no feeling for this stuff, other than some sort of idealistic notion. Still he has a right to do it, but I stopped using my nickels on YES many years ago. Like 40, at least!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2023 at 18:00
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

It's like using a brass screw for a job that a toaster and a pool skimmer are supposed to do.

Hi,

Maybe it is what YES needs now ... a little FAUST to make some noise to help them find some music that matters!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 12:10
Yes is my favorite band but, I have not bought anything beyond Magnification ( with the exception of the SW remixes) which, was the last good album the band released.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised with this song. Looking forward to seeing how the other tracks sound. It would be nice to purchase a new Yes release.

As for Jon Anderson, I like him, but some of the members here think he is the magic ingredient to make everything right. Maybe, Maybe not. The Drama album was a very good album, that sounded fresh because, Anderson and Wakeman jumped ship. And listening to the Paris sessions, it's a good thing they did, because what was coming out of those sessions would have made Tormato look like a masterpiece.

Anderson was the primary member of Yes that was behind the mess that was the Union album. His demands for more money and not letting on how truly sick he was when a tour was booked led Yes to boot Anderson from the band. Which, really meant Chris Squire, but it was obvious that Steve Howe and Alan White were fine with the decision.

I know there are a big contingent of Yes fans that like to drop everything on Steve Howe's lap when it comes to these personnel decisions. Howe, by all accounts can be a moody SOB. Engaging one moment and a jerk the next. But, it appears the blame for Anderson getting the boot rest more with Squire. As we found with the recent Benoit David interview, Howe didn't force Oliver Wakeman out to bring in his friend Downes. That rested with Trevor Horn. It appears that Howe and David maintained a professional relationship and that it was Squier who could be quite mean to David.

Anyway, it just seems that many believe that if Howe would get with the program and make nice with Anderson and bring him back, everything would be great again. Maybe, but Anderson has been responsible for putting out some real crap too and it seems his Napoleonic attitude can rub people the wrong way. None of us know what demands Anderson has made of Yes about pay or what music will be played. We know he never sang anything from Drama, which the other Yes members like to play live. Is he making the same demands on the new Yes music?

In the perfect world, Howe, Anderson, Wakeman and Bruford put their differences aside and go to studio and make an album. The last time these four got together and TRULY recorded together was ABWH. Not Close to the Edge or Fragile, but a good album. Even today, if this could happen would we be guaranteed just a good album from these four.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 12:36
Originally posted by Big Sky Big Sky wrote:

In the perfect world, Howe, Anderson, Wakeman and Bruford put their differences aside and go to studio and make an album. The last time these four got together and TRULY recorded together was ABWH. Not Close to the Edge or Fragile, but a good album. Even today, if this could happen would we be guaranteed just a good album from these four.

Hi,

I think that Mr. Bruford has stated that he has retired from drumming/performing altogether. I'm not sure that Wakeman wants to play with someone that had some fine moments with King Crimson, and I think that Bill's touch would make Wakeman sound ... pedestrian these days, like most of his music is! Jon I won't say much ... I think it is time for him to do HIS BARDO and call it a night ... and Mr. Howe ... I am not sure he will stop playing unless his fingers fall off. Wink

A nice idea ... but I think that even Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky ... all died ... and it is time that YES also calls it a life. Besides an artist making it for 50 years? Goodness me ... you're really pushing your luck!
www.pedrosena.com
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 13:19
First single.  Light beer brew with a tossed lyric salad. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - March 13 2023 at 13:20
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 13:29
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Quite a lot of negativity here about an album that probably nobody here has heard yet, and in fact nobody of you needs to listen to if you think you have better things to do. Why don't you just let them do what they feel like doing? I guess it doesn't hurt anyone.

The "they" is one guy at this point. It's like once owning a Ferrari but it has disintegrated and all that's left is the wheels. You can put those wheels on a Toyota Camry and still get to where you need to go. The Camry is a very decent car. You might really love it. But quit trying to convince me it's still a Ferrari!
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 13:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Big Sky Big Sky wrote:

Hi,

I think that Mr. Bruford has stated that he has retired from drumming/performing altogether. I'm not sure that Wakeman wants to play with someone that had some fine moments with King Crimson, and I think that Bill's touch would make Wakeman sound ... pedestrian these days, like most of his music is! Jon I won't say much ... I think it is time for him to do HIS BARDO and call it a night ... and Mr. Howe ... I am not sure he will stop playing unless his fingers fall off. Wink

A nice idea ... but I think that even Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky ... all died ... and it is time that YES also calls it a life. Besides an artist making it for 50 years? Goodness me ... you're really pushing your luck!

That is why I said in a perfect world. You might get Howe, Wakeman and Anderson, but you're more likely to win the lottery than get Bruford to get behind the kit. No guarantee the music would be good. But, it could happen. Haydn composed Seasons late in his life. Bartok was nearing finishing his incredible Piano Concerto No. 3 when his battle with leukemia finally sent him to the hospital where he died. The last 17 bars were completed by a friend of Bartok using the notes Bartok had on the piano concerto.

Howe seems to be putting out some decent stuff with his trio.

Edited by Big Sky - March 13 2023 at 13:33
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 14:36
For what it's worth, Mike Kenneally, guitar and keyboard extraordinaire ( Zappa, Vai, Satriani, etc, etc) heard the new Yes song and said "it's a really good track, playful, clever, inventive, which for me ( at this point in the Yes timeline) is more than enough to make me smile."
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 14:52
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Yacht Prog?

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 15:05
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 15:20
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Quite a lot of negativity here about an album that probably nobody here has heard yet, and in fact nobody of you needs to listen to if you think you have better things to do. Why don't you just let them do what they feel like doing? I guess it doesn't hurt anyone.

The "they" is one guy at this point. It's like once owning a Ferrari but it has disintegrated and all that's left is the wheels. You can put those wheels on a Toyota Camry and still get to where you need to go. The Camry is a very decent car. You might really love it. But quit trying to convince me it's still a Ferrari!

The Ferrari of Theseus..?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>