Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - Mirror to the Sky (New Album)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 15:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Holy Crap, is Steve a Mennonite now ?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 16:04
And finally, I find it kind of funny reading some of the comments, as if any of those musicians owes any of us anything (as in good music we love).

Nope, sorry, not even a little. They perform what their muse inspires.

Like it or lump it, but give up your expectations, none of us will probably ever get to hear THE album we're all waiting for.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 16:17
^ we ARE hearing the albums we have been waiting for it's just that it's not YES who is delivering them.

Of course they can crank out any crap that they want but that doesn't mean that YES fans aren't noticing and taking note.

Nobody is under any delusions that all these modern endeavors will diminish the legacy of past glories.

We're simply expressing our disappointment in a once great band releasing inferior rubbish and that's coming from someone who pretty much loves every aspect of their career up to when Chris Squire left this 3D plane of existence.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 17:09
Yes was my favorite band in the 80s, 90s and maybe a bit beyond that. However, at some point it started to seem like they were just milking the cash cow.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 17:27
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Nobody is under any delusions that all these modern endeavors will diminish the legacy of past glories.

Hi,

I'm not sure about this anymore ... when a thread asked about which albums we wanted to hear the most, or wanted, everyone went for the big names of yesteryear ... and to me, that was really sad. Heck, Miley's new stuff is more attractive to me than the new stuff by YES.

As much as I like PT, Marillion, PG, U2, Neil Young, and many others, waiting for their next breadth and album is crazy for me ... those folks have done some outstanding stuff for many years, and expecting more is like ... bleed the fudger until he/she dies so we can have "our say" ...

I suppose the only one these days I kinda look forward to hearing is Kate Bush ... her stuff keeps changing, and is totally different all the time, and for my ears and heart, it's getting better! I think she has 2, maybe 3 more albums to make before she quits the whole thing ... who knows. One request, which she has said is not a priority ... that she would release the concert series on DVD ... per album, it was too good not to love and enjoy, but obviously from an artist perspective, she was not happy with the filming, or the attention to details, which is something I have pointed out many times is a horrible issue with rock music and its filming when it is live.

Edited by moshkito - March 13 2023 at 17:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2023 at 17:56
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

No, he's one of the Menninotes and long may Steve Howe and YES continue to make great music together. Thumbs Up
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2023 at 05:44
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Except for the psych shirt and guitar. Imagine him with the appropriate hat, shirt, and a black book with golden letters...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2023 at 11:53
Yes, Mirror to the Sky has more than lived up to my expectations after hearing the brand new Cut from the Stars of Symphonic Prog. I can tell you that One Second is Enough time for me to decide I'm going to rush out and buy this album upon its release. It's good to know Steve Howe & co. are still able to come up with the goods by sprinkling some Magic Potion on their latest offering and Living Out Their Dream by continuing to make wonderful music together. It's also good to remember Chris Squire, Alan White & Peter Banks who are no longer with us, but are shining with Luminosity in an Unknown Place somewhere up there in the heavens. They'll be forever remembered as Prog Gods through the Circles of Time as we're All Connected here by our Love and passion for music. Heart

I'm almost as excited about the new YES album as Miami Scot. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 15 2023 at 04:45
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 02:37
I hope the others songs are better than this one because it could be another forgettable album.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 07:48
the band supports many people who need income- it will go on forever even after Howe dies or retires. Sad ending to a once tour de force with 5 of the best musicians in the prog business 
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 16:21
I finally listened to that new track and yeah it's just an incredibly watered down version of YES musical stylings. I know they're incredibly capable musicians but this couldn't be more safe or predictable if it tried. 

Hell, this song wouldn't be out of place as Muzak in an elevator. That's how far this band has fallen in my eyes (and ears). 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 17:58
^ prog for people with low standards!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 18:51
I think Yes could do with some new blood and/or a collaboration since the band is now just a stale, derivative copy of its past selves judging by the song.

I've thought before that Natalie Laura Mering might work well with Yes in a collaborative aspect. She goes by the stage name Weyes Blood (I'm a fan). If I still had photoshop then I'd combine their logos.

weYESblood

Edited by Logan - March 15 2023 at 18:52
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 08:56
Two Yes fans speculate on the possible sense of "romantic", as applied to this album, and a transcendental question: Is that person on the cover, maybe, Alan holding his rainstick?

Edited by Heart of the Matter - March 19 2023 at 14:56
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2023 at 03:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I suppose the only one these days I kinda look forward to hearing is Kate Bush ... her stuff keeps changing, and is totally different all the time, and for my ears and heart, it's getting better! I think she has 2, maybe 3 more albums to make before she quits the whole thing ... who knows. One request, which she has said is not a priority ... that she would release the concert series on DVD ... per album, it was too good not to love and enjoy, but obviously from an artist perspective, she was not happy with the filming, or the attention to details, which is something I have pointed out many times is a horrible issue with rock music and its filming when it is live.

I really hope she does make 2 or 3 more albums but given that it's 12 years since the last one and she's 64 now, it seems unlikely.
Anyway going back to topic, I will give this latest Yes album a listen as I did to the previous two. Sadly The Quest is the only Yes album I haven't bought apart from Open Your Eyes (not including all the live albums and compilations) and it's probably going to stay that way. Let's hope this new one is an improvement.

Edited by chopper - March 21 2023 at 08:35
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2023 at 08:37
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

It's like using a brass screw for a job that a toaster and a pool skimmer are supposed to do.

I have no idea what that means, is it good?
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 22:18
really bad album except for some Howe licks - the dribble of the singers corny lyrics make one cringe not to mention they sound like melodies from  the last few bad albums- 😣 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 04:09
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

really bad album except for some Howe licks - the dribble of the singers corny lyrics make one cringe not to mention they sound like melodies from  the last few bad albums- 😣 

Which classic Yes album did it remind you of?  A bad version of Fragile/Close To The Edge or Drama?   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 15:24
This guy is very into the title track, loves the orchestral sound, and misses some more input by Downes.

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 17:20
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

It's always surreal to see a band go on for so long that there are more albums that nobody will remember than albums from their classic period. And I think Yes are pretty much reaching that threshold. If people are still willing to buy/listen, all the more power to them (hell, I'm not trying to be a hater), but it always makes me wonder how they see their own history, seeing as they have like 10-15 years of prime Yes and then like 40 years of albums that nobody really cares about.

Also, I was going to comment on how it's kind of funny how they just have the most typical, expected Roger Dean covers for their albums these days, but this one does look pretty damn nice, not gonna lie.

When I want to listen to a new and good Yes' album, I buy a Glashammer' CD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>