Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Prog Archives Starter Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 08:19
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I know this would have worked perfectly for a mini-me:). Heavy on the oldies, I know. But the 1970’s is a great place to start imo. All albums are in PA’s top 105.

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

Opeth - Blackwater Park

Yeah I like this list a lot.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 09:23
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Great list but no idea how you can do an introduction to a noob without Yes or Genesis. They are the only 2 of the Big 6 who are never debated.
Well, it's my choice and there no wrong intro list. Right?? A noob should hear a variety not just popular prog, i.e., the big six. Modern prog is nothing like the progasaurs of the 70's and is critical for a noob to hear, imo.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 10:09

I could of course not keep away from here.
My list is a compromise between the most appreciated (both on PA and RYM), less advanced and my own preferences. 
It covers "The Big Eight" classics, some more modern and the main sub-genres if Progressive Rock is seen as a meta-genre.
But all that could not be done only with a dozen albums Big smile :

Genesis (UK) - Selling England by the Pound (1973)
Yes (UK) - The Yes Album (1971)
King Crimson (UK) - Red (1974)
Pink Floyd (UK) - The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
Jethro Tull (UK) - Aqualung (1971)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer (UK) - eponymous  (1970)
Van der Graaf Generator (UK) - H to He Who Am... (1971)
Camel (UK) - The Snow Goose (1975)
Porcupine Tree (UK) - Coma Divine (1997)
The Mars Volta (USA) - DeLoused in the Comatorium (2003)
Caravan (UK) - In the Land of Grey and Pink (1971)
Marillion (UK) - Script for a Jester's Tear (1983)
Dream Theater (USA) - Images and Words (1992)
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (I) - Io Sono Nato Libero (1973)
Mahavishnu Orchestra (USA) - Birds of Fire (1973)
Tangerine Dream (D) - Stratosfear (1975)
Magma (F) - Üdü Wüdü (1976)
Univers Zero (B) - Clivages (2010)

Edited by David_D - March 15 2023 at 14:02
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 11:38
Could anyone explain how and/or why a noob to prog would listen to, and not lose interest, during the eight minute freaky jam part of "Moonchild" from the first KC album? I don't think any noob would enjoy that.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 12:13
Okay, not the most representative across a range of Prog styles, but I rather like this as a journey. Maybe I'll improve on this later.

Sorry, it's a baker's dozen.

Pink Floyd - Meddle
Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel
Yes - Fragile
King Crimson - Lizard
Anna von Hausswolff - The Miraculous
Picchio dal Pozzo - Picchio dal Pozzo
Focus - Hamburger Concerto
Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste
Bubu - Anabelas
Magma - Kobaia
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
Swans - To Be Kind
The Residents - Eskimo

I also had wanted:
Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink
Dead Can Dance - Spleen and Ideal
Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Three
Cardiacs - Songs for Ships and Irons
Alan Parsons Project - I Robot
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet
Spirogyya - St. Radigunds
Message - From Books and Dreams
Van der Graaf Generator - H to He...
Area - Arbeit Macht Frei
kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 12:19
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Could anyone explain how and/or why a noob to prog would listen to, and not lose interest, during the eight minute freaky jam part of "Moonchild" from the first KC album? I don't think any noob would enjoy that.

Most music interested people love In the Court quite instantly. Probably because 80% of that album is a timeless delight packed with rawness, emotion and beatuiful melodies that gives context to that freaky jam. By the time it appears "everyone" is already sold. And as the album ends with the iconic title track all is forgiven anyway. In the Court has proven itself through the decades to speak to new generations like basically no other classic prog album does. It's one of the few prog albums that's just as popular outside progcircles  - and holds an alltime fourth place at the internet's biggest music site RYM (with a 4.31 rating from 55 000 raters). Only the far more conventional Pink Floyd albums in the PA's top ten can match it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 12:50
^Appreciate the reply. I didn't love In the Court instantly. I still don't. Only the first and last songs of that album appeal to me. I've been learning for 47 years that most popular prog is not for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 12:52
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Okay, not the most representative across a range of Prog styles, but I rather like this as a journey. Maybe I'll improve on this later.

Sorry, it's a baker's dozen.

I think your baker's dozen would have worked wonders for someone who came from a sort of alternative rock/pop. Or maybe jazz/modern classical.

I know this would have worked perfectly for a mini-me:). Heavy on the oldies, I know. But the 1970’s is a great place to start imo. All albums are in PA’s top 105.

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Yes - Close to the Edge
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Van Der Graaf Generator - H to He Who Am the Only One
Gong - You
PFM - Storia Di Un Minuto
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon
Tool - Lateralus
Opeth - Blackwater Park

if I allowed myself an additional dozen too, I'd probably try and push the noob a bit further down the rabbit hole and add something like:

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Magma - Kobaïa
Can - Future Days
Camel - Mirage
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Kraftwerk - Die Mensch-Maschine
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven!
Radiohead - Kid A

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 13:24
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Tried to cover of 6 essential Big 6 classics then add some diversity across more modern metal, heavy, Italian, electronic, Canterbury & possibly the easiest entry level avant I could think of.

I find this approach very good.
The same approach for me too. I made sure to include an album by each of the recognised "Big Six" of British Prog, although  not necessarily my favourite album by each artist. Obviously, I would've chosen The Quest as my favourite YES album, although I realise it's not everyone's favourite (or even anyone's favourite) YES album and is not representative of their work as a whole. In retrospect, maybe 90125 would've been a better choice of album for a PA Starter Kit than Going for the One, as the 90125 album was my introduction to YES. Smile

Thumbs Up

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 13:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I wasn't aiming to be diverse by covering a broad church of prog. I was simply choosing the twelve most accessible albums that would most likely appeal to a prog neophyte, and not entirely by coincidence, they were pretty much the same twelve "Starter Kit" prog albums that most appealed to me when I was first introduced to the wonderful world of prog. Smile

LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 13:31

^Appreciate the reply. I didn't love In the Court instantly. I still don't. Only the first and last songs of that album appeal to me. I've been learning for 47 years that most popular prog is not for me.

Nothing speaks to everyone. And most of what I listen to, is "unpopular". Already in early my teens I started digging backwards for music from the past. I was pretty much alone in listening to all this music a couple of decades old, and actually preferring it to what was new, or modern if you will. I'm more "modern" now than ever before actually. Different as we are, anoyone who selects Frank Zappa, National Health, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull and Steely Dan-albums for his extended prog starter kit, is closer to my tastes than most people I meet during a regular week - or month.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 15:59

Actually, I'd recommend these 21 albums as a very good but yet minimum for 
a general Prog starter kit:

Genesis (UK) - Selling England by the Pound (1973)
Yes (UK) - The Yes Album (1971)
King Crimson (UK) - Red (1974)
Pink Floyd (UK) - The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
Jethro Tull (UK) - Aqualung (1971)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer (UK) - eponymous  (1970)
Van der Graaf Generator (UK) - H to He Who Am... (1971)
Camel (UK) - The Snow Goose (1975)
Rush (CAN) - Moving Pictures (1981)
Porcupine Tree (UK) - Coma Divine (1997)
Caravan (UK) - In the Land of Grey and Pink (1971)
Gentle Giant (UK) - Acquiring the Taste (1971)
Marillion (UK) - Script for a Jester's Tear (1983)
Dream Theater (USA) - Images and Words (1992)
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (I) - Io Sono Nato Libero (1973)
Can (D) - Ege Bamyasi (1972)
Mahavishnu Orchestra (USA) - Birds of Fire (1973)
Tangerine Dream (D) - Stratosfear (1975)

Edited by David_D - March 15 2023 at 16:25
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 16:22
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

one of the best lists on MS, it goes beyond a starter kit
Pwff...no Yes, ELP, Genesis or Gentle Giant in the first 100 listed ?
Useless ! Thumbs Down
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 16:24

Actually, I'd recommend these 21 albums as a very good but yet minimum for a Prog starter kit:

Yes we know as you posted the exact same list a little further up on this page:)
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 16:28

Actually, I'd recommend these 21 albums as a very good but yet minimum for a Prog starter kit:

Yes we know as you posted the exact same list a little further up on this page:)

Sorry, but I'm a bit more precise than you are.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 16:31

That's why I choose Starless and Bible Black. Wink
But to support your comment, it would be like picking Tale From Topographic Oceans for Yes, not doing the movement any favour by using that to support your case. LOL
 I did notice the "I was simply choosing the twelve most accessible albums" comment in Paul's post. My approach was more in the OP's hypothetical noob's question.
 "suggest a dozen albums for me that you think will give this total noob the perfect introduction to this Prog Rock-thing?"
Whatever perfect is?

Edited by JD - March 15 2023 at 16:33
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 16:42
What is recommended to this young person could depend on what they already like or listen to. It might not be a good idea to introduce them to the old dinosaur bands or at least not only them. So if they mainly listen to metal then suggest a metal type of prog band and if they mainly listen to classic rock or indie then suggest something in the prog world similar to those. It might be a mistake to suggest things like close to the edge, selling england, in the court, tarkus, thick as a brick, per un amico, snowgoose, etc because it might turn them off if they mostly listen to newer non prog stuff and it's likely they do. They can always discover the classics later. I actually get the feeling that most newer or younger prog fans don't get turned onto the genre through the 70s stuff anymore. 

All that being said, I made this short list several years ago with the newbie in mind (before I realized the newcomer might not take to the classics):

Pink Floyd-Wish you were here (I suspect most already own Dark side of the moon;if not then go get it asap).
Emerson, Lake and Palmer(ELP)- Brain salad surgery
King Crimson- In the court of the Crimson King
Genesis- Selling England by the Pound
Yes-Close to the Edge
Jethro Tull-Thick as a Brick(Be warned as it's one long 45 minute track)

I might actually toss in a few others though such as:

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Anglagard - Hybris
VDGG - Pawn Hearts

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 15 2023 at 16:55
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 16:47
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

one of the best lists on MS, it goes beyond a starter kit
Pwff...no Yes, ELP, Genesis or Gentle Giant in the first 100 listed ?
Useless ! Thumbs Down

Or maybe not at all. That list looks like it's mostly metal and mostly a newer prog list. Certain bands aren't considered "cool" to the younger crowd. Yes = not cool. KC = cool. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 15 2023 at 16:58
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 16:50

Great list but no idea how you can do an introduction to a noob without Yes or Genesis. They are the only 2 of the Big 6 who are never debated.
Well, it's my choice and there no wrong intro list. Right?? A noob should hear a variety not just popular prog, i.e., the big six. Modern prog is nothing like the progasaurs of the 70's and is critical for a noob to hear, imo.

I do like your list!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2023 at 17:19

Those three albums would definitely put me off prog for life if they were my introduction to prog. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>