Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs a la YYZ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Songs a la YYZ
    Posted: March 26 2023 at 18:43
I'm looking for some bands / albums / songs with the following characteristics:

Instrumental
Guitar heavy but not necessarily metal
Keyboards an important element
Complex rhythms 
Composed themes rather than jams

a la YYZ or La Villa Strangiato

Developing a band project and trying to find recordings to use as reference mixes. 

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 19:09
French band 1980 comes to mind, CD from '07, hard to find, mine is ... somewhere Cry  --

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 19:16
Just recently, I started a thread titled "Little Masterpieces" in which YYZ was one of the examples.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 20:08
Look through the catalogs of Djam Karet and Ovrfwrd. DK has been around for nearly 40 years with a diverse catalog on tunes.

This one might fit the bill.

Ovrfwrd is a newer band with 5 albums.

Also look into aome jazz rock fusion that's more on the rock side, such as the Fire Merchants formed by Brand X guitarist John Goodsall and Genesis touring drummer Chester Thompson.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 20:19
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Also look into some jazz rock fusion that's more on the rock side, such as the Fire Merchants formed by Brand X guitarist John Goodsall and Genesis touring drummer Chester Thompson.

... or some Mahavishnu Orchestra, for example, Birds of Fire:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 20:26
Not necessarily metal... but are you OK if it is metal? I can think of the instrumental Dream Theater songs, and their spin-off Liquid Tension Experiment. I particularly love The Ytse Jam and Stream of Consiousness from DT, and Paradigm Shift, Acid Rain, and Another Dimension from LTE.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 20:40
Soft Machine's Bundles album with Allan Holdsworth maybe.

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 20:43
Nova Collective, every song off their one album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 20:47
What about black midi, for example, John L?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 21:01
The Nova Collective suggestion reminds me that Haken release instrumental versions of their albums.

Edited by mathman0806 - March 27 2023 at 07:07
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 02:04
Dream Theater's Black Clouds & Silver Linings special edition also includes a 3rd disc with the full album in instrumental version.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 03:58
Offworld (Belgium) (psychedelic space-rock/metal).

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 06:37
You might like to explore the two Bozzio - Levin - Stevens albums:

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 07:38
Thanks everyone, this will give me plenty of material to use. 

If you've ever done mixing and recording, it's helpful to have reference tracks to compare the overall sound. 

I do like metal, and this project skirts on the edge. I'll enjoy listening to all of these artists regardless.

Again, thank you.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 07:50
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

You might like to explore the two Bozzio - Levin - Stevens albums:
Fully agree, both great instrumental albums!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 08:17
Zappa for sure. Many of his instrumental songs/albums fit your criteria. Here is one of my favorites by him.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 10:40
You may like Kong from Amsterdam. They're instrumental, guitar riff oriented, and heavy and do some fun things with electronics (I know that wasn't asked for but it may make up for the mostly missing keyboards).

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 10:52
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 16:32
A tune I just remembered from 20 years ago. Not a complex riff but a good heavy one, and a good mix IMO. Maximum Indifference is the band’s name.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 27 2023 at 16:34
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 20:58
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Dream Theater's Black Clouds & Silver Linings special edition also includes a 3rd disc with the full album in instrumental version.

I remember listeing to it a few times, until I noticed that, for some reason, they didn't only leave out the vocals, but also the guitar solos (not all guitars, only the solos), and since then I have not bothered with it again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>