Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your 3 favorite keyboard solos?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your 3 favorite keyboard solos?
    Posted: March 30 2023 at 01:36
What would be your personal picks?

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 06:15
Any solo by one of the following...

Chick Corea
Lyle Mays
Dave Stewart
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 06:15
Hi,

Hopefully you won't think this is against the "solo", but in general, for me, a musical piece is always "one" and a solo is not necessary, or a part of the whole thing.

As an example, let's take TARKUS, and suggesting that Keith is soloing is a bit on the nuts side of things, as the piece is not a song, but a keyboard concerto with the synthesizer being used as an instrument itself, rather than a sit-in for another orchestra piece. At that time, the synth still had a life of its own, and was not exactly used as a replacement for an orchestra as is the case today with most rock bands.

Another example, is listening to YES in TFTO and even CTTE. It's a serious shame to consider that Chris is "soloing" because he seems to do so many touches that appear almost independent from the whole thing, or even comment on Steve as solo'ing for the whole thing ... it's a complete "Symphony" by its definition and the elements (the instruments) are all a part of the whole, and complete thing.

I, personally, don't like the idea of a "solo" since it tends to imply that the guitarist (or otherwise) is on his/her own, and for me, the unity of the piece falls apart ... it's all about this, and then a solo that has nothing to do with that at all ... a bit weird for me, and this is very loud and clear in a large majority of rock musicians.

Now, if we take "thrashing" and some "metal", this line is blurred even more since the whole thing comes off as a non-stop solo, and listening to DREAM THEATER, it sure seems that way, with a few guys supporting the guitar which seemingly creates the imagined idea and thoughts of what the piece is about via a couple of lyrics. This is bad in many ways. If you have done live theater, you know that no 2 nights are the same and tomorrow the audience won't laugh about this line or other moment. So, expecting the audience to fall for the same thing night after night is something that bands work on ... by making sure their "fans" are up front first, and love everything they do.

I am not sure that the word is right ... for example, I don't consider that John McLoughlin is soloing his way through a piece of music! And this is the hard part of deciding what a solo is, and how it should be used ... if it is "apart" from the actual piece of music ... that's another story, but for us to sit here and consider a "solo" as a part of a rock song ... means that we hate music history and think 500 years of definitions and studies are all stupid because a rock band does this ... and us, the fans, think it's better than what history has shown us ... in the end, the "solo" has nothing to do with the piece itself that it is on.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 06:25
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I, personally, don't like the idea of a "solo" since it tends to imply that the guitarist (or otherwise) is on his/her own, and for me, the unity of the piece falls apart ... it's all about this, and then a solo that has nothing to do with that at all ... a bit weird for me, and this is very loud and clear in a large majority of rock musicians.

I am not sure that the word is right ... for example, I don't consider that John McLoughlin is soloing his way through a piece of music! And this is the hard part of deciding what a solo is, and how it should be used ... if it is "apart" from the actual piece of music ... that's another story, but for us to sit here and consider a "solo" as a part of a rock song ... means that we hate music history and think 500 years of definitions and studies are all stupid because a rock band does this ... and us, the fans, think it's better than what history has shown us ... in the end, the "solo" has nothing to do with the piece itself that it is on.

A good solo serves the song, it's just a piece of the whole puzzle. I think you got the whole thing backwards. Nobody is saying the solo is more important than the song itself. Confused

You constantly finding reasons to complain about anything has become tedious. So much negativity... Ouch
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 06:54
Any solo by Rick Wakeman! Big smile
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 08:12
Two by Triumvirat's Juergen Fritz, The solo piano intro and elaboration on the "Mister Ten Percent" suite from Triumvirat's Illusions On A Double Dimple album, and secondly, the solo piano section of A Day In A Life, from the T'rat album Old Loves Die Hard.
          Thirdly, I would have to say Keith Emerson's piano soloing in the beginning part of the title track to the ELP album Trilogy.
                All the above are deeply moving experiences for me, for sure!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 08:28
The whole 'Solo' term is a little nebulous for me, As stated above, some keyboard licks are considered solos while others are sweeteners or just parts of the composition.
I'll go with anything by Emerson, Wakeman, Moraz, Fritz or Duncan Mackay to start, but even Kansas, Styx or Saga have great keyboard breaks.

Edited by JD - March 30 2023 at 08:30
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 08:55
One less known: Chuta Chani by Profusion has and excellent one in the middle.
Then let's say Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman above all.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 10:16
Tony Banks (in the cage, cinema show, supper's ready, colony of slippermen, etc)
Rick Wakeman  (roundabout, awaken, birthright, the revelaing science of god, Merlin The Magician and so many others)
Keith Emerson (lucky man, trilogy title track and tarkus)

Honorable mentions:

Tomas Bodin 
Martin Orford
Neal Morse/ Ryo Okomoto

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 30 2023 at 14:15
Starjet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 11:04
My favourite has always been from "Down In The Sewer" by Dave Greenfield, the Stranglers.

Edited by Starjet - March 30 2023 at 15:02
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 11:37
Cinema Show by Tony Banks
Shine on you crazy diamond intro solo by Richard Wright
Frost* - Black Light Machine
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 12:07
I'll have to give some more thought to my second and third favourite keyboard solos, but for me there is a very clear number one favourite keyboard solo which, according to Wikipedia, was cited by Rick Wakeman as the greatest organ solo ever:

Edited by I prophesy disaster - March 30 2023 at 12:25
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 12:56
First ones that come to mind:

Tony Banks: "In the Cage", "Riding the Scree", and the intro to "Firth of Fifth".
Rick Wakeman: organ solos on "Close to the Edge" and "Parallels", piano solos on "Turn of the Century" and "Awaken".
Eddie Jobson: "Carrying No Cross".
Keith Emerson: "Trilogy".
Geoff Downes: the Fairlight solo at the end of "Cutting it Fine".

Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 13:37
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Hopefully you won't think this is against the "solo", but in general, for me, a musical piece is always "one" and a solo is not necessary, or a part of the whole thing.

As an example, let's take TARKUS, and suggesting that Keith is soloing is a bit on the nuts side of things, as the piece is not a song, but a keyboard concerto with the synthesizer being used as an instrument itself, rather than a sit-in for another orchestra piece. At that time, the synth still had a life of its own, and was not exactly used as a replacement for an orchestra as is the case today with most rock bands.

Another example, is listening to YES in TFTO and even CTTE. It's a serious shame to consider that Chris is "soloing" because he seems to do so many touches that appear almost independent from the whole thing, or even comment on Steve as solo'ing for the whole thing ... it's a complete "Symphony" by its definition and the elements (the instruments) are all a part of the whole, and complete thing.

Now, if we take "thrashing" and some "metal", this line is blurred even more since the whole thing comes off as a non-stop solo, and listening to DREAM THEATER, it sure seems that way, with a few guys supporting the guitar which seemingly creates the imagined idea and thoughts of what the piece is about via a couple of lyrics. This is bad in many ways. If you have done live theater, you know that no 2 nights are the same and tomorrow the audience won't laugh about this line or other moment. So, expecting the audience to fall for the same thing night after night is something that bands work on ... by making sure their "fans" are up front first, and love everything they do.

This post is like chinese to me.

Anyway, as for my answer, here are the first three that came to mind...not sure if I actually have a real top 3, but, again, these came to mind:

-George Duke's solo in Zappa's Don't You Ever Wash That Thing? There's a reason why he was the only band member Zappa ever had who was allowed to solo (nearly) as much as Frank. The album version of Inca Roads is another great one, though that one is enhanced by some overdubs.
-The keyboards solo/guitar solo on Al Di Meola's Flight Over Rio. It's more of a dueling solo, but I love the sound on it, and it sounds very airy, yet exotic, like the song title would suggest. There's two keys players credited on the album, but I'm guessing it's Jan Hammer?
-The keyboard solo on Jean-Luc Ponty's Bowing-Bowing. I had to look up the liner notes, but apparentely Patrice Rushen played keys on this. I had never heard of her, but she's great on this album.

Bonus mention: the keyboard/synth solo on Zappa's Läther/I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth. I don't know if this one's Eddie or Ruthie playing. Eddie Jobson is credited on keyboards, Ruth Underwood on synthesizer, and it sounds more like a synthesizer than a keyboard to me.

And yes, the solos on Tarkus are great too.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 14:26
Rick Wakeman—Awaken
Tony Banks—Cinema Show
Jon Lord—Lazy
Also:
Kent Hensley—Gypsy
John Evan–Thick as a Brick
Keith Emerson—Pictures at an Exhibition
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 19:43
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

-The keyboards solo/guitar solo on Al Di Meola's Flight Over Rio. It's more of a dueling solo, but I love the sound on it, and it sounds very airy, yet exotic, like the song title would suggest. There's two keys players credited on the album, but I'm guessing it's Jan Hammer?

Yes, Jan Hammer features on "Flight to Rio" (first track) and "Elegant Gypsy Suite" (last track). Barry Miles plays on the rest of the album.

Jan Hammer plays the MiniMoog, and the ARP Odyssey "washes" that open the track (along with bassist Anthony Jackson) are by percussionist Mingo Lewis. The opening is phenomenal, Al turns in some of his most fiery playing, and Jan's MiniMoog solos are second to none.

"Flight to Rio" is assuredly one of Al's best jams!

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 21:36
Keyboard solos... as much as I love keyboards in prog, and Rick Wakeman is actually one of my top 5 artists overall, I haven't thought about which would be my favourite solos... so many really wonderful keyboard parts, really. Perhaps the Arthur one would actually be my favourite. And, could Toccata Fugue count too? Also, I'm not sure it would really be among my favourites, but there is a rather overlooked, and so underated, little piece of solo from Pink Floyd. On Echoes, just after the screeching guitars ambient section, when the melody is coming back Wright does a little piece of soloing, perhaps the most beautiful keyboard solo from Pink Floyd, and which sadly he never did again when they played the song live. There should be many other worthy keyboard solos from Wakeman himself, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield (perhaps something in Ommadawn should be another of my choices), Genesis, ELP.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 22:40
Are we talkin' improvised solo? Or written solo? Because that delineation needs to be made. How can I compare the aforementioned George Duke solo from Don't You Ever... (one that sprang to mind for me as well, my cheesy friend), with The Raven solo from Slippermen (another goodie)? One was brilliantly composed on the spot, and one was crafted and honed over a period of time until the player was satisfied with how it sounded.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2023 at 02:17
Rod Argent on Hold Your Head Up for sure but then what about Deep Purple - Child In Time, the whole thing is an epic keyboard solo. Jon Lord had no peers on the organ (Emerson included).
Not previously mentioned but Dave Greenfield's Moog solo on Nice N Sleazy is pretty damn amazing.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2023 at 04:30
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

You constantly finding reasons to complain about anything has become tedious. So much negativity... Ouch

Hi,

When will you start making comments that are not personal? Embarrassed

I love music and have for all my life. My comments are not "negative" as much as they are COMPARATIVE which is something that you do not seem to understand.

I don't dislike anything in music and you will rarely find a bad comment on an album or band, other than a small joke. A "solo", by its definition, is a PERSONAL/INDIVIDUAL moment within a song, and while I am not saying that it does not fit here and there, it has its places, and many folks have done it right, and made it work, however, I think ... possibly ... that we're enamored with the solo, and who gives a damn about the rest of the song, or the music?

Another example, is Miles Davis ... it's really difficult to not consider what he did a "solo", almost non-stop ... and I have no issue with it, because it opened up a sort of musicianship to many folks that was not quite visible, and it is a treat to watch, and then, later, to appreciate.

Another guitarist that does what could be considered "solos" in the music is Jimmy Page ... but rarely are these not a very clear continuation and a strong part of the song itself ... I like it this way ... instead of apart from the whole thing.

I prefer the complete piece of music.

Another example. Folks talk about opera, mostly because of the "arias", but none of these were ever mentioned as not being a legitimate part of the complete piece, and one of the most emotional moments of the pieces. That was never designed as a "solo" per se, which is used by many classical musicians as highlights of their abilities ... the sad thing being that no one spends time listening to the rest of it ... well, I have to tell you that Wagner taxes my listening hard ... but I can handle the Italians.

Now you know my point about a "solo" ... it has to be clearly a part of the music, not separated.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>