Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The first suite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 11:00
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I'll have to check out the Sandy Bull. Haven't heard that one yet. In fact it looks like i should add him to my list because he clearly did have an impact on early prog. I had a lot of fun making my list because there were quite a few bands i knew nothing about. It was like going back to that era and living through it without getting addicted to drugs :D

LOL  and interesting

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 11:20

Sandy Bull's "Blend" is indeed quite a beauty and sounds to me being a rather obvious inspiration for The Doors' "The End".

Edited by David_D - April 11 2023 at 12:53
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 13:27
Do When the Music's Over or Celebration of the Lizard count as suites? 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 15:37
What Love (Suite) by The Collectors qualifies...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 15:46
Coming back to the original Question, I still think Nicolette's excellent suggestion of Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues was the first genuine prog suite, but I'll have a long list of favourite prog suites coming up here tomorrow, including Question by the Moody Blues. Smile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 15:57
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Coming back to the original Question, I still think Nicolette's excellent suggestion of Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues was the first genuine prog suite, but I'll have a long list of favourite prog suites coming up here tomorrow, including Question by the Moody Blues. Smile

You're both missing the main point here. Dude is looking for a ONE TRACK / SIDE LONG SUITE, not a bunch of tracks that flow together well. Should be pointed out in the title for sure. I've already scoured every prog / proto-prog release from the entire 60s so unlikely you'll find anything we haven't found but if you do i'd love to discover new moo-zeek! ALways another obscurity lurking in the vaults. Also i would request if you want to discuss FAVORITE prog suites then please start another thread so we don't dilute the intent of this one. I find many of these threads lose their point and meander into unrelated lands. Thx :)

Edited by siLLy puPPy - April 11 2023 at 15:59

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 16:03

...Also i would request if you want to discuss FAVORITE prog suites then please start another thread so we don't dilute the intent of this one. I find many of these threads lose their point and meander into unrelated lands. Thx :)

Thumbs Up  Right! Show some respect for the OP!

Edited by David_D - April 11 2023 at 16:46
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 17:35
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The celebration of the Lizard is a strange case of suite, because it was published in a live record.

Oh, it's wonderful.

But it's not the first suite ever: year 1970 (and it doesnt fill a whole side of a Lp).
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 23:59
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

The celebration of the Lizard is a strange case of suite, because it was published in a live record.

Oh, it's wonderful.

But it's not the first suite ever: year 1970 (and it doesnt fill a whole side of a Lp).

yeah, i don't know honestly, I've never had The Doors on vinyl. Just cassettes and CDs. LOL
Celebration of the Lizard was supposed to be on Waiting for the Sun album, in 1968. It just didn't happen, only the song Not tot Touch the Earth ended up on the album. The whole song and kind of a suite TBH was a live favorite though. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 00:35

Suggesting a suite from a live record is not strange, if it is in fact a suite that's played live. It may however be a strange case to suggest a live recording released in 1970 as the first recorded sidelong (prog related) song. If that was the case. The until 2003 unreleased and unfinished 17 minute work in progress 1968-studio version, has a natural place in a discussion like this though.

The b-side of Ennio Morricone's Fistful of Dollars repeats the score presented on the a-side as a 14 minute long suite. The A & B-sides are pretty much identical and contains the same suite with and without pause in between the movements - or parts. The music on this album could be heard in Sergio Leone's first "man with no name" trilogy of spaghetti westerns as early as in 1964. But the album wasn't released until 1967. This is a genuine suite created by a composer who knew what that actually means. With it's "guitar, bass and drums/percussion rock band-fundament", sophisticated complexity, variations and furious intensity - might technically qualify as the first symphonic prog sidelong epic. I can't see any reason as to why it couldn't.

Morricone (like quite a few 1970's soundtrack composers) had plenty of progressive rock hidden in his 1960's-1970's scores that could easily qualify for a number of PA's sub-genres.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - April 12 2023 at 03:53
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 04:21

You're both missing the main point here. Dude is looking for a ONE TRACK / SIDE LONG SUITE, not a bunch of tracks that flow together well. Should be pointed out in the title for sure. I've already scoured every prog / proto-prog release from the entire 60s so unlikely you'll find anything we haven't found but if you do i'd love to discover new moo-zeek! ALways another obscurity lurking in the vaults. Also i would request if you want to discuss FAVORITE prog suites then please start another thread so we don't dilute the intent of this one. I find many of these threads lose their point and meander into unrelated lands. Thx :)

That sounds like a rather splendid idea to me. Thumbs Up
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 06:11

That sounds like a rather splendid idea to me. Thumbs Up

fine
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 06:39
John Coltrane had been jammin' in length for a couple years before A Love Supreme's January 1965 release. Besides the 17:40 minute Side Two song, the whole album is one suite! And it would certainly be difficult to argue that the album (A Love Supreme) wasn't influential throughout the music world.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 07:12

Hi,

I was thinking of it within the early listings. When doing poetry, I am not sure that one worries about the length or anything within it ... ask Roy Harper. But Robin has stated that there were times when the poetry did go a bit too long, which suggests that the audience got lost along the way ... with "no song" to carry them along, but that would be a bit different, I think. That's an audience problem, not an issue with the artist, although I have to admit, I might get bored with Laurie Anderson and her endless use of one writer. But poetry and music? Give me more!

One more thing ... music to poetry is not new, and has been on for some time, not just within the rock era, thus, us thinking that it started in the 60's sometime, is probably incorrect since we know that some folk music was kind of "endless" as done by many folks. So the idea of a "first suite" is kinda lost within the research areas, because folks will only look at a few pieces of music that are rock related, and not the artistic concept at all.

Edited by moshkito - April 12 2023 at 07:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 13:51
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

John Coltrane had been jammin' in length for a couple years before A Love Supreme's January 1965 release. Besides the 17:40 minute Side Two song, the whole album is one suite! And it would certainly be difficult to argue that the album (A Love Supreme) wasn't influential throughout the music world.

I know A Love Supreme. Wonderful album. 

Many classic-rock fans love it.

But there isnt a long-side song, Drew. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 14:06
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Suggesting a suite from a live record is not strange, if it is in fact a suite that's played live. It may however be a strange case to suggest a live recording released in 1970 as the first recorded sidelong (prog related) song. If that was the case. The until 2003 unreleased and unfinished 17 minute work in progress 1968-studio version, has a natural place in a discussion like this though.

The b-side of Ennio Morricone's Fistful of Dollars repeats the score presented on the a-side as a 14 minute long suite. The A & B-sides are pretty much identical and contains the same suite with and without pause in between the movements - or parts. The music on this album could be heard in Sergio Leone's first "man with no name" trilogy of spaghetti westerns as early as in 1964. But the album wasn't released until 1967. This is a genuine suite created by a composer who knew what that actually means. With it's "guitar, bass and drums/percussion rock band-fundament", sophisticated complexity, variations and furious intensity - might technically qualify as the first symphonic prog sidelong epic. I can't see any reason as to why it couldn't.

Morricone (like quite a few 1970's soundtrack composers) had plenty of progressive rock hidden in his 1960's-1970's scores that could easily qualify for a number of PA's sub-genres.

Well, this is a soundtrack, a collage of short pieces of music where the pauses of silence between tracks have been removed. Sometimes the transition from one track to another is also quite abrupt (as in the ending, when the string instruments come in).  I wouldn't consider it a side-long rock song. Although it comes close. Sandy Bull's Blend is certainly much more side-long song than this soundtrack.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 14:31
Unless other new discoveries of side-long songs published in previous years come along,

The winners are:

to be continued....   
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 14:44
^ the winners are invisible?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 17:03

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I know A Love Supreme. Wonderful album. 

Many classic-rock fans love it.

But there isnt a long-side song, Drew. 

I never knew till this week that the album had been divided into parts: my original vinyl just sounded like one continuous song, with no breaks, and several motifs. Even on the label of Side Two it's listed as "Part 3. Pursuance/Part 4. Psalm" which is different from Side One which lists "Part 1: Acknowledgment" and, as a second and clearly demarcated item, "Part 2: Resolution" -- all of which were recorded on the same day, December 9, 1964.

Plus, encyclopedias say this:
"A Love Supreme is a through-composed suite [sic] in four parts" --which, I thought, according to your OP, was exactly what you were looking for.?!?!?!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2023 at 17:21

So I asked myself: who was the first to have the courage to fill an entire side of an LP with one song? I called these songs suites. Better to call them side-long songs? OK, let's call them side-long songs.

Maybe you should update your OP, Lorenzo. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>