Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chat GPT helping me write a prog rock song

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chat GPT helping me write a prog rock song
    Posted: April 19 2023 at 07:13
Like everyone else, I fall for the Chat GPT trend, the AI assistant (its so fun loll)

anyway, I asked him to help me write a prog rock track and this is what he answered:

1. Start with a concept or theme: Many progressive rock songs have a conceptual or thematic focus, whether it's exploring philosophical or spiritual ideas, telling a story, or commenting on social issues. Think about what you want to convey with your music and use that as a starting point.

2. Experiment with different time signatures: Progressive rock is known for its use of odd time signatures, such as 7/8, 9/8, and 11/8. Try playing around with different rhythmic patterns and see how they affect the feel of your music.

3. Incorporate different instruments and textures: Progressive rock often features a range of instruments beyond the typical guitar-bass-drums lineup, including keyboards, horns, and strings. Consider how different instruments can add to the overall sound and mood of your piece.

4. Use dynamics and changes in tempo: Progressive rock often features dynamic shifts and changes in tempo, creating a sense of tension and release. Experiment with different dynamics and see how you can use them to build intensity and drama in your music.

5. Consider the structure of your piece: Many progressive rock songs are divided into multiple sections, such as verses, choruses, and instrumental breaks. Think about how you want to structure your piece and how you can use transitions to move between different sections.

Everything he wrote is a pretty basic knowledge but its still pretty cool. I do really appreciate his first tip. I think the most importent thing while writing a prog piece is having a them or concept or a story, it could help focus the writing without getting lost in this huge world of ideas.

Then the coolest part is where I asked him to give me a general structure that could be used for a prog rock track:

1. Introduction (0:00-1:30): This section sets the mood for the track and introduces some of the musical themes that will be developed later on. It might feature a slower tempo and more subdued instrumentation.

2. First Movement (1:30-5:00): This section is where the song starts to build momentum. It might feature a complex instrumental arrangement, a faster tempo, and a vocal melody that introduces the main theme of the song.

3. Instrumental Break (5:00-7:30): This section features an extended instrumental solo, showcasing the skills of the musicians involved. It could feature a guitar solo, a keyboard solo, or a section where different instruments take turns playing solos.

4. Second Movement (7:30-11:00): This section could feature a change in tempo or mood, and might introduce a new musical theme or variation on the main theme from the first movement. The vocals might take on a more melodic or emotional quality, and the instrumentation might be more sparse or understated.

5. Bridge (11:00-12:00): This section serves as a transitional passage between the second and third movements. It might feature a breakdown, a sudden shift in dynamics, or a passage that reintroduces musical themes from earlier in the song.

6. Third Movement (12:00-16:00): This section is where the song reaches its climax. It might feature a complex instrumental arrangement, a faster tempo, and a vocal melody that builds to a crescendo. The lyrics might be more abstract or metaphorical, and the instrumentation might be more dense or layered.

7. Outro (16:00-20:00): This section brings the song to a close, and might feature a slower tempo and more subdued instrumentation. It could feature a repetition of earlier musical themes, or it might introduce new musical ideas that bring the song to a satisfying conclusion.

This whole thing is kinda stupid and I am really bored right now but it was still pretty fun.

What are your thoughts?

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 09:28
Chat GPT may replace doctors soon--certainly makes WebMD obsolete.

Edited by BrufordFreak - April 19 2023 at 09:28
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 10:20
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Bloody ghastly idea, if you ask me!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 10:30
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Bloody ghastly idea, if you ask me!
I'm designing a robot to teach piano lessons for me. Right now I have it programmed to say "that is incorrect" every ten seconds. Do you think that is too often?
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 13:45
Originally posted by yogev yogev wrote:

Like everyone else...

...bar one (at least)... Tongue
Quote This whole thing is kinda stupid and I am really bored right now but it was still pretty fun.

What are your thoughts?

Well, despite my feigned lack of interest, I'm quite curious about the results, if they are presentable... Meaning: it would be nice to read/hear a result!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 14:56
Occasionally I get some interesting answers from it. Such as this...

While it may be theoretically possible to fart, burp, poop, pee, and sneeze at the same time, it is highly unlikely and potentially dangerous.

Farting, burping, pooping, peeing, and sneezing are all natural bodily functions that occur when the body needs to expel waste or foreign particles. However, each of these functions involves different muscles and body parts, and they are typically not coordinated to occur at the same time.

In addition, attempting to force all of these bodily functions to occur at the same time could put a strain on the body and potentially cause injury or health problems, particularly if any of the functions are held back or delayed.

Therefore, it is not advisable to attempt to fart, burp, poop, pee, and sneeze at the same time, and it is best to allow each function to occur naturally and separately, as needed by the body.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 14:58
Or this one....

No, your intestines cannot drive a trash truck or perform any other physical actions. Your intestines are a part of your digestive system and do not have the ability to control your body's movements. Movement is controlled by the brain and the nervous system, which send signals to muscles throughout the body to make them contract or relax in specific ways. While the muscles in your intestines can contract and relax to move food through your system, they do so involuntarily and are not under conscious control.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 17:08
^ Obviously AI is controlled by liberals and their transgender agender.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 13:59
How long until AI starts producing prog that will actually be good and acclaimed?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2023 at 15:39
^Rather months than years, I guess. A few days ago there was a topic about an AI-created non-prog song that went viral on the Dutch news. Prog may be one or two levels higher, but that barricade will be levelled in time Stern Smile.

Edited by someone_else - April 20 2023 at 15:39
 Post Reply Post Reply