Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The relation between album artwork and music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The relation between album artwork and music?
    Posted: May 02 2023 at 09:56

I've seen a lot of times that when I like the artwork of an album, it's much more probable that I'll like the music as well. 
Even it's much more like that with classic Prog albums than with modern, I'm familiar by now with the fact that the artwork 
in some ways can depict the characteristics of the music, and this possibility and the reasons for it fascinate me a lot.

What are your experiences with and knowledge about that kind?

Star

Edited by David_D - May 02 2023 at 13:29
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 12:22
Hi,

The "standard" for me, was Hipgnosis, that also worked as a sort of small "editorial" as to how interesting, or worth while the music was. Sometimes it was "raw" (Edgar Broughton Band) and other times it was funny, but also showed it was not exactly big time (the cover where the hubcap looks like a flying saucer), and then at times, it was very much on par with the band's work (10CC) ... and I specially like their cover for Capability Brown's album VOICE ... and that album is a masterpiece when it comes to the vocal parts in their material. The long cut is stunning. And I doubt many of us do not remember the first two albums by Flash ... and I've often wondered if that was Sherry, the lady that used to post a lot of stuff on the band a few years back. Regardless, while sexist (you could say) the material is actually as nice and good as the picture seems to suggest ... but that might be my man side speaking, and I accept that. And then you see the original cover for one Be-Bop Deluxe cover, and you go wow ... not to mention that Scorpions original cover for their 3rd album was also hard core and censored really quick. Not sure what that might suggest for the music by Scorpions, but what the heck, the album was not that good, but it was worth having for the cover alone?

I like a lot of the early posters at the Fillmore, even though they were a lot more about the experience of the music at the place, than they were about the music itself, but you really had to go see it, and end up thinking how well the posters showed up the work on the stage ... it was neat, and it's a real shame that there are not a whole lot more "recordings" from that era, specially the SF shows ... and I'm betting that the Billy Graham estate has them, but they are not looking for the ability to release the materials.

All in all, the Amon Duul 2 covers for a while were done by the same person that also played keyboards, and some of the work is actually fascinating and strange, although seeing yourself in a cockpit of a spaceship in space traveling through the visuals in your mind, is a bit daunting, but it is really well done, and then the cover of "Wolf City" is magnificent, like picking up the invisible energies in the music, and the inside cover is another crazy imaginary scene in your mind ... which is very AD2 for the majority of their work.

Covers are interesting, but the fact of the matter, specially in the USA, bands do not work alongside many other artists with which they can share their work and come up with new ideas. NY had some of it in the early days of the VU, but the fame, fortune, and money, and of course the cardboard Andy, killed that ability for everyone else I thought. Even weirder, is Kim Gordon's book about her band ... as much as she was a part of the artistic side of NY, the covers showed nothing for it, which I think it was just something that the rest of the band could not exactly relate to.

Some other covers that are very thoughtful and interesting ... ECM ... and in many ways it really speaks a lot about the music they put out for many years, likely with the exception of the works by Keith Jarrett, that have what I would think some not as clear, or as good covers, when compared to his work. I have a feeling that he felt himself very far apart, and different from what any "artist" could come up with for a cover ... but that's just a thought.

I would like to see a larger/wider acceptance of the artist's community within rock music, but the commercial attitude and the song formats, probably have done away with possible ideas and concepts that might explain the music better ... and as such, I think it brings down the quality of the music and the work in general.

Edited by moshkito - May 02 2023 at 12:27
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 15:19
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 15:24
I remember back in the 70s when, just by looking at the art work, my friends and I could tell if the album/band was good or not. Not so much these days, but still some album covers are certainly a guide to the music inside.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 15:49
If they would just airbrush the band out of the cover for Love Beach, it would offer a much different impression.
That being said...this is MUCH better ! Big smile

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 16:58
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

If they would just airbrush the band out of the cover for Love Beach, it would offer a much different impression.

You should tell that in this thread    Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'   LOL
if it's not too late. lol

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 17:03

^ I can also do it myself if I may quote you. Big smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2023 at 06:56
Hi,

Another thought ... I'm not sure that most folks that were not around in the 60's, 70's and early 80's can quite relate to the "art" in so many albums, regardless of how many we post and show ... the "artwork" itself is too far "removed" from the music scene that the youngsters have grown up with ... and understanding it, would be really tough and then some. Likewise, a lot of us older folks, might look at the quasi-gottamakelooklikeart stuff that DT has done, and the first thing that goes through our minds is ... too much of nothing, and one detail is missing ... the greatest thing in art ... is ITS SIMPLICITY ... and you fall for it ... and then you see a bunch of nothing symbols that supposedly mean something and it's hard to not roll my eyes and eyebrows and say ... wake up guys!

This is likely, my biggest take from the 60's and 70's ... all the art ... you can't say the same thing for the 90's and anything after, just about! And that should tell you that what came out of that psychedelic haze was an artistic scene that developed into progressive ... and 30 years later, is empty music that has no art in it, because there is no artistic scene for them to work with and learn/share from.And it's a bit worse, in seeing some of the folks requesting to be considered into PA and probably PF, although their setup and system is more fan oriented (afaik), though I tend to dislike that since the whole of "progressive" music was an anti the establishment thing, with different rules away from the society mold and the top ten ... and guess what we are doing ... hurting the ability of new folks to learn from something else other than the top ten and the "fan's choices" ... many of which are no different than the Animals that went after the pink pig's parts at Anaheim Stadium and many other places!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2023 at 07:04

Hi,

Hahahaha ... nice ... however, I'm not sure that ELP was so much about that, as it was about something else in music, and they even disliked that they had to do it to cover some money, but in reality, I don't think that it meant that much to them, because what they did with an orchestra and an audience, was an achievement and then some that 99% of all musicians will never experience, and all of a sudden, sadly enough, they are grossly in debt ... and have to do an album to pay for it ... hopefully. Not sure this was ever paid, but the re-releases of the albums over the years, I'm sure more than covered all of it.

To me, ELP was not about really about the stuff, but the stories are plenty about the many ... and I guess that is why that funny cover is so funny ... you don't go to an island ... but to have some fun, usually, right?

I kinda thought that ELP had a bit more class and standards than that, and that the album cover was not likely something that they wanted to see or do, but I think they knew they were not deceiving anyone, specially with the Karn Evil cover being so blatant with the work of that one artist. And the sun of a gun could not use the great stuff on Alien ... oh well!!!

All in all, that is one reason why so much of that stuff went out of my enjoyment as so much of the new stuff was not exactly about the music anymore. And I think that this hurt ELP more than anything else! but I wonder if they knew they had "done it" and were not willing to try and re-invent the wheel again, perhaps.

Edited by moshkito - May 04 2023 at 12:20
www.pedrosena.com
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2023 at 07:49

You may want, then, to rename the album to Luv Bitch

But this has been done before

Edited by Sean Trane - May 03 2023 at 07:52
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2023 at 15:25
This is how I feel about the mid 70s Yes albums especially Tales From Topographic Oceans and Relayer. The artwork, courtesy of Roger Dean, seems to be a very appropriate visual component to the music. That is not as much the case for their other 70s albums although maybe to some degree for GFTO and CTTE. I think the music of Pink Floyd and Genesis fits their album covers pretty well too. 
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 04:27
I definitely feel that if you look through a band's discography you can often see which albums are relative filler albums or where they began to go downhill based on the album cover, but in most cases that might just be because I already know a bit about a band's general quality. Of course, in the world of prog, album covers often signalled when the band went commercial towards the late 70's/early 80's. You can immediately tell from looking at the album covers of Nursery Cryme and Abacab that the music has changed in the decade between them. For something like the Beatles, you can see exactly that their 1966-1967 albums are more psychedelic, and the subsequent s/t album signalled a clear change from that era.

Other than that, I don't know how strong the correlation really is. It'd be interesting to rate some albums and also rate the album covers to see if there's any relation. There's definitely some ugly-ass album covers among my favorite albums (Paranoid, anyone?).

I definitely like when bands have a strong visual identity, but most won't get to the level of something like Pink Floyd or Yes. And even then, Yes have just used generic Roger Dean artwork for their more recent albums. Even Drama, as much as I like that cover, seems pretty generic to me compared to 1971-1974 Yes covers. Ozric Tentacles and Zappa generally had a pretty good identity as well, and black midi so far have managed to create some memorable and consistent album covers that perfectly fit the music too.

But I think in that regard, a special shout-out to King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard is in order. All their album covers have been done by Jason Galea, but they all feel very diverse, and use different types of art or sculptures. Recently a friend even expressed surprise that they were all done by the same guy because they're so varied. And yet, they all feel very KGLW and consistent with each other. This extends to their tour posters and merch as well, which often feature original artwork. On top of that, it just looks fantastic.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 06:14
Indeed, as an early teen with no older brother or sister to guide me a bit so I +/- had to go "blindly" at it, once I started to know what I like (pun intendedWink) , cool artworks were one of the hints as to where to start in a band. 
For ex, the first Wishbone I went for was Argus, Stackridge's debut, Magma's Kontarkhoz, Gong's You, etc...

My very first or second album bought (the other being Harmonium's debut), Supertramp's COTC was a direct eye-catcher. From the artwork, I just knew I wanted to hear the album and all chances were that I would love it.  

Of course, the other important hints were: 
instruments played & line-ups
number of tracks and lengths. 

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Hahahaha ... nice ... however, I'm not sure that ELP was so much about that, as it was about something else in music, and they even disliked that they had to do it to cover some money, but in reality, I don't think that it meant that much to them, because what they did with an orchestra and an audience, was an achievement and then some that 99% of all musicians will never experience, and all of a sudden, sadly enough, they are grossly in debt ... and have to do an album to pay for it ... hopefully. Not sure this was ever paid, but the re-releases of the albums over the years, I'm sure more than covered all of it.

It's never easy to understand one of your post, but if you read about the band (I read Emo's book), all three were very much sex addicts (in the early stages of PA, our member 3Fates told us how much wad she swallowed from Greg while touring with them) and I can't remember how many times Emo caught the clap  in his autobiography.

Edited by Sean Trane - May 04 2023 at 06:24
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 12:22
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

It's never easy to understand one of your post, but if you read about the band (I read Emo's book), all three were very much sex addicts (in the early stages of PA, our member 3Fates told us how much wad she swallowed from Greg while touring with them) and I can't remember how many times Emo caught the clap  in his autobiography.

Hi,

Updated ... still looking to get that Emerson book. Although I don't like to point fingers in that direction, because there wasn't a single band that did not engage in all the "free" this and that. Maybe Robert Fripp was the only virgin during that time, no?
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 13:55

So, what can we guess about the music of an album when looking at the artwork?

I think that we often can for instance tell how experimenting or mainstream/Pop-influenced it is and maybe even guess 
the genre/style; whether it's dark or light-moodied, melodic or dissonant, hard-edged or more soft, cold and maybe 
anxious (blue colour) or warm (orange, yellow), and whether it's more in classic/retro style or modern.

What else can we guess of that kind?

Edited by David_D - May 04 2023 at 14:04
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 15:29

Concerning the artwork of Tarkus, I can tell that the music seems to me somehow militaristic, and the artwork reflects that.

Btw, I find the music to be really great, even it took me many years to get really into it.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 16:47

Voivod's drummer, Michel Langevin, has made a very fine artwork depicting some hard-edged, dissonant, dark, cold, 
anxious and yet partly melodic music:

Edited by David_D - May 05 2023 at 05:01
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 20:41
My favourite artwork is mostly on ELP's early albums (2 were courtesy of William Neal and there was at least one Hipgnosis cover) and the Crimson debut is remarkable for sure in both artwork and conception. Never a big fan of DSOTM and that goes for the cover as well. Animals on the other hand is my favourite artwork and fave Floyd album.
It seems a bit trickier with modern albums. I love Anathema - Weather Systems but the artwork is bit of a miss for me. Big Big Train put out great albums but I struggle to think of anything although I do like the bird motif they use on a couple of albums.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 01:06
I guess it is far from a rule, and uninspired covers can easily house some of the best albums. But often enough the cover can be a good enough guide, because in the end it is some sort of statement. Bands that try to make pop music by the numbers usually end up using boring covers by the numbers with a photograph of the arist. Those bands trying to do more interesting things, will look for more interestig artists to do more interesting covers. And perhaps when a former prog band, for example, is trying to move into more pop territory, they will seek out more "adequate" covers too.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 01:29
^ Right--   Led Zeppelin ll  works, And Then There Were Three  not so much, both fairly ugly but both housing good music.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>