Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The relation between album artwork and music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 03:04
As much as I hate to admit it, a good cover (and even a strange one) makes me enjoy an album more. Whereas a bad (or cliché) cover ruins part of the enjoyment. 

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

If they would just airbrush the band out of the cover for Love Beach, it would offer a much different impression.
That being said...this is MUCH better ! Big smile

This has some Acquiring the Taste vibes.

Edited by edefakiel - May 05 2023 at 03:06
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 07:00

Progressive Rock used in the 1970s quite a bit of surrealistic imagery to depict the experimenting character of the music:

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 07:31
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Progressive Rock used in the 1970s quite a bit of surrealistic imagery to depict the experimenting character of the music:

Hi,

Perhaps, however from the arts side of things, from literature, theater and film, it was much less "surrealistic", than it was imaginary, and in many cases contrary to general thought, with some of the albums, and artists being decidedly political or at least quite socially aware and strong against the government. It's awfully difficult to say that ITCOTKC is not an album of political/social relevance, although the poetic nature with which it was done, had a tendency to hide a lot of the thoughts and ideas.

The covers, for my tastes, were not quite surrealist, as much as they were generally very much an obvious counter social element and view, and this is quite visible in a lot of HIPGNOSIS covers, even if subtle, although it is hard to not consider QUATERMASS' cover surrealistic, or many others, but in general I think that Storm and Roger (Dean) were less worried about their surrealism than they were upon using their graphical surfaces differently, with Roger leaning towards a futuristic and sci-fi view and look, which is quite open and visible in the first book that he did. And Storm T. explains a lot of the graphics in the two big books on the work by Hipgnosis ... in many ways, that made things more "experimental" than they did "surrealistic".

As an art form, this was a very special period for the art ... and so much of the music that went with it ... the sad thing that 30 years later, no one cared about the art anymore, and it was no longer visible, or clear and too many bands were depending on idealistic thoughts that were in their lyrics, which were not what was needed ... I call it a sort of early "trumpism", trying to convince you of what is right, and all that.

For me, in later days, it was no longer about the art, and most music showed it with its commercial copycopycopycopy and stylestylestylestyle and formatformatformatformat ... which pretty much told you that these folks were not connected to a time and space where art as valuable and important. It kinda also suggests to you what kind of art is in NY, London and Paris, when what comes out of their places are crap music, that is thought to be famous, because if you sell 100k in NY, you will be "famous", a suggestion that the actual artistic community is non-existent and decimated by commerciality!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 11:13
Interesting topic!  

I used to buy any LP I saw that had a Roger Dean cover!  Nearly all of them were good, if not great, music (Tony Kaye's "One Live Badger" being my favorite cover art), but I felt burned by Greenslade!  I should give it another listen.  

Other prog art tended to be a mess....I'm thinking of the Hipgnosis LP cover for "Out of our Hands" by Flash!  Ugh!  Also any LP featuring a man's naked bum!!  

Tull's "Thick as a Brick" was one of the most original IMHO. 

Edited by cstack3 - May 05 2023 at 11:16
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 12:20
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

... but I felt burned by Greenslade! .....

I can understand that, as Bedside Manners is one of the albums where I can't get the artwork to fit the music - but I like that artwork a lot and am also fond of the music.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 17:03

Interesting topic!  

I used to buy any LP I saw that had a Roger Dean cover!  Nearly all of them were good, if not great, music (Tony Kaye's "One Live Badger" being my favorite cover art), but I felt burned by Greenslade!  I should give it another listen.  

Other prog art tended to be a mess....I'm thinking of the Hipgnosis LP cover for "Out of our Hands" by Flash!  Ugh!  Also any LP featuring a man's naked bum!!  

Certainly you can't be that insecure and feel threatened in your manhood to be afraid of GFTO or Hemispheres, aren't you??Confused
Both are great artworks, with male nudity symbolizing humanity  in general (like Da Vinci's thingie).
TAAB is a maqsterpice artwork.Clap

Yeah fairly disappointed by Greenslade as well. Not only are Dean's illustrations not very good (Bedside is OK, but the debut is urghhhDead), but then again I never thought that the band's music was all that good. Embarrassed
I had managed to filla C90 cassette side (45 mins) out of their four historic albums, but for the CDr compilation, I had to resort to the live album and Greenslade's solo albums to fill a whole 80 mins.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 18:05
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Interesting topic!  

Certainly you can't be that insecure and feel threatened in your manhood to be afraid of GFTO or Hemispheres, aren't you??Confused
Both are great artworks, with male nudity symbolizing humanity  in general (like Da Vinci's thingie).
TAAB is a maqsterpice artwork.Clap

Yeah fairly disappointed by Greenslade as well. Not only are Dean's illustrations not very good (Bedside is OK, but the debut is urghhhDead), but then again I never thought that the band's music was all that good. Embarrassed
I had managed to filla C90 cassette side (45 mins) out of their four historic albums, but for the CDr compilation, I had to resort to the live album and Greenslade's solo albums to fill a whole 80 mins.

Hi,

So much for him listening to Guru Guru! Mani is a nudist and makes no fuss about it, and it probably goes back to the famous/infamous commune days in Germany!

Greenslade is an acquired taste, since describing their music is difficult at times, but the work is neat and special in its own way, and remember that one of the guys here ended up producing a lot of very nice albums, which kinda makes you wonder ... why is Greenslade so different?

I don't dislike Flash at all, it is simply something else, perhaps without the ability to do something with more "meat" in it, than simply sound, but its early material, like the other band Badger, really showed how YES came about in the first place, but they did not, at the time, really had a keyboard player that could help "expand" the band's material, which Rick Wakeman did by adding a more classical element to it.

The artwork for both Badger, and Flash were likely very different for a good reason ... I had a feeling they did not want the "meaningful" covers that Hipgnosis was creating and then putting out something blatant, like Flash's first 2 albums, so they could (hopefully) show that the music was the important part, however, they did not stand up as well as the main band YES did. However, these covers were a good 6 months ahead of the real start of Roger Dean with "Fragile", thus, the covers might have been, at the time, not quite as well defined as they later became. I have to recheck on this ....

It's a tough conclusion, either way you look at it, and Flash's first two albums were not exactly the along the lines of the work that Hipgnosis did, but they managed to do something that got everyone's attention, which was good for the band, but I'm not sure that the music itself was as "attractive" (sorry ladies!) as the covers made the whole thing out to be ... and perhaps that might have been intentional, as illusory, that "attention" to something, might not necessarily indicate the whole story or idea. Sadly, Flash could never get "better" and I think them not wanting keyboards was a bit of a problem, when compared to the time and most English bands that were becoming keyboard heavy. All of a sudden, it was easy to feel that their material was not quite good enough. The same fate took place with other bands that were not quite keyboard oriented, and Budgie was one, and in the continent, Guru Guru for sure. The Edgar Broughton Band, had the same problem until later, but by then no one was listening to a very well educated, and intelligent band.

In general, trios were a problem musically, in the very early days, until Rush seemed to find a way around it some.

Edited by moshkito - May 06 2023 at 07:01
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 03:48
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

......Greenslade is an acquired taste, since describing their music is difficult at times, but the work is neat and special in its own way, ........

nice to hear that
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 18:54

Interesting topic!  

Not at all, I just don't care to have it waved in my face!!  Neither represents good art in my opinion.  

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 20:41
Rush was sometimes a bit fem.  But heck, so was Zep... at least to the fem/macho extent where Plant's penis in TSRtS was enough already .

Photo Of Robert Plant And Led Zeppelin by David Redfern

Edited by Atavachron - May 06 2023 at 20:47
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 21:44
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Rush was sometimes a bit fem.  But heck, so was Zep... at least to the fem/macho extent where Plant's penis in TSRtS was enough already .

Photo Of Robert Plant And Led Zeppelin by David Redfern

LOL!!  I saw them onstage in Chicago, July 6th, 1973...."Houses of the Holy" tour.  A wonderful show! 

I've played onstage in many bands, first rule of stage performance = no underwear. 

That being said, I still don't care much for male bums being thrust into my face!   Just my preference.  There is more bad LP cover art out there than superb art. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 03:00

Interesting topic!  
I used to buy any LP I saw that had a Roger Dean cover! 

Not at all, I just don't care to have it waved in my face!!  Neither represents good art in my opinion.  

Well leave it to Pedro/Mosh to think of Guru's Hinten "artwork"Confused when it comes to male arsesLOL. That's indeed "in your face" Pinch and it's not particularly nice buts either.Stern Smile

===================

As I said, in both cases, we can view the naked man in both artworks as a metaphor to humanity

Personally, while not thinking that GFTO is that good an album (take away Awaken, it's mediocre), I tend to think of Hipgnosis's near Sci-Fi artwork stunning Star(it's an excellent triple fold tooClap), and the inside fold is also superb (with those lines recalled in the corner). I wish my male buttocks were that perfect too.Embarrassed

As for Hemispheres, one can wonder about the "odd posturing" attitude of the naked model (not his nudity).

In neither cases are the buttocks "waved in your faces", IMHO.... especially not in Hemispheres, where they're relagated to the corner, when seeing the unfolded artwork.

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 06:25

Androgyny, the possession of both masculine and feminine characteristics, was a part of the hippie counterculture, and it became in more figurative meaning and important ways a part of Progressive Rock music and the whole culture, which can be seen in artwork too.

Edited by David_D - May 07 2023 at 09:35
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 07:44

Well leave it to Pedro/Mosh to think of Guru's Hinten "artwork"Confused when it comes to male arsesLOL. That's indeed "in your face" Pinch and it's not particularly nice buts either.Stern Smile

Yeah, this one hasn't been easy for me to deal with, either, and when I first got it on LP, I did quite a lot to make the artwork look differently on the whole gatefold. Finally, I gave it up, and got a CD of it instead with quite different artwork, and I still coloured the last ass on the front "cover" with a pencil to cover it. LOL

Edited by David_D - May 07 2023 at 09:40
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 08:05

Hi,

I guess I do not consider "nudity" offensive. What I consider offensive is the various conflicts around the world, where people are being killed indiscriminately, and we seem to think that it is OK for various this and that to kill and bomb left and right, and then we think that some nudity is wrong, and ugly.

Or we could take this much further and mention the artist that was known to piss on some of his works while painting, and still got a million for it!

Art, from what I can see, has always been about being in your face, since there is no other way to break through the barriers of "knowledge" or "education" or (in today's terms) commerciality!

It's a fine line, sometimes, but I find some of the reactions here ... rather ... strange, and not on par with art and its history ... geee ... I guess one or two statues naked (and very famous!) are not "ugly" as we make these out to be. Maybe some women find David's p_____ attractive, so no one else says anything about it, when it is very obvious the church wanted to place a lesser emphasis on the physical side of it on sex.

In this case, I think that Mani was mad that folks were not exactly paying attention to the music and he decided that it didn't matter what anyone thought, and he went out and proved himself correct ... the music still stands up today.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to shut people up and get some well deserved attention. It may be ugly, or hairy, or whatever, but the point was made ... and we're talking about this like he could not make his point!

Edited by moshkito - May 07 2023 at 08:08
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 09:45
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

In this case, I think that Mani was mad that folks were not exactly paying attention to the music and he decided that it didn't matter what anyone thought, and he went out and proved himself correct ... the music still stands up today.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to shut people up and get some well deserved attention. It may be ugly, or hairy, or whatever, but the point was made ... and we're talking about this like he could not make his point!

My reason has maybe no objection to Hinten's artwork, it's my aestethics and feelings that do. LOL

Edited by David_D - May 07 2023 at 10:32
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 11:50

Androgyny, the possession of both masculine and feminine characteristics, was a part of the hippie counterculture, and it became in more figurative meaning and important ways a part of Progressive Rock music and the whole culture, which can be seen in artwork too.

Indeed, I see it in Punk quite a bit as well.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 13:48

For not to talk about Glam Rock. 

Edited by David_D - May 07 2023 at 13:48
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 13:52

In Glam, much more than prog IMHO
And of course in the 80's electro-pop (Communards, Culture Club, Wham, etc...)

Not so sure about punk, though

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 13:57

My reason has maybe no objection to Hinten's artwork, it's my aestethics and feelings that do. LOL

Hi,

Put yourself in Mani's shoes, when they had put together material for 3 albums, and were playing it live, and it was some spectacular "space rock", done in a rock style that only Jimi had ever given us a hint of at that time. Ax's excursions on his guitar were exceptional and created some far out stuff that was appreciated in concert (and still is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but to release an album he had to make a statement, and like the Edgar Broughton Band's "meat" cover (a kind of satire on the Beatles, btw!!!), it had to show a side of the music and the personalities that made the music ... and ... I find this really silly ... we might as well tell Flea and his band that they are the crap because they have performed naked many times!

For me, aesthetics are nice to have a cup of tea with ... nothing more. Same with "ideas" and "concepts" that we tend to think they should rule the world. I guess you can call me an anarchist, though my words are mostly standing up for the artists and their work ... it matters not to me if LZ was showing off their this or that ... according to my girlfriend at the time LZ was very sensual and sexual ... but here we are, and all we can be commenting on is the crap from folks that really do not have a whole lot to say about the music anyway, because otherwise, there would be some appreciation around it.

I do not think that "nudity" in the rock context, is out of place, any more than I do a model student sitting in an art class. That we "sexualize" a lot of it, is another story ... and has less to do with the art itself, or the model and artist ... it has to do with the observer, the one who would not stand up for their own art and music, and sadly, instead, makes comments on it. Reminds me of one saying we find in schools ... those who "can't" teach, and those who can "are doing it".
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>