Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are you going to buy the new Yes album(MttS)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Are you going to buy Mirror To The Sky?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [10.77%]
44 [67.69%]
6 [9.23%]
8 [12.31%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 09:52
I think I'll look for samples before deciding. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 18:00
Not a chance. Too many other great artists out there that need my support.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 01:29
If I like the music and want to listen to it, sure. If not, then no. Same as any other band out there.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 02:21
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Totally the opposite. In all honesty, Mirror to the Sky is the only 2023 prog album I'm ever likely to buy, mainly because it's destined to end up in a charity shop bargain bin at some point in the not too distant future, just like all of Genesis' albums between the years 1980 & 1997. Tongue
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 03:35
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Totally the opposite. In all honesty, Mirror to the Sky is the only 2023 prog album I'm ever likely to buy, mainly because it's destined to end up in a charity shop bargain bin at some point in the not too distant future, just like all of Genesis' albums between the years 1980 & 1997. Tongue

I am thinking about this, and I am not so sure you will find it in the not so distant future at the bargain bin. Maybe eventually. Not because it would be any better than an 83 to 97 Genesis album but because of streaming. I haven't gone looking for bargain CDs in a while, but usually, when I did, most CDs are over 20 years old. Hard to find recent CDs and I think that has a lot to do with digital music availanility and people able to wait and decide on a physical copy. People can be more selective, which is reflected in the responses here. If someone buys, they are committed by loyalty or wanting to be a completionist.

Edited by mathman0806 - May 18 2023 at 05:27
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 04:41
Probably not. But since that is not an option, I'll wait for the weekend to listen to it and then vote no... (probably).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 19:02
It's not YES anymore.  It's bad Asia with a Minnie Mouse voice.  Kinda boring.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 05:37
So, I got to listen to it, and my vote is "no".
It could be a lot worse (e.g. The Quest), and I think this album will find its admirers, but in my opinion it is lacking a lot of originality. Only the title track is interesting, both composition wise and the playing; the orchestrations sometimes a bit cliché, but at other moments quite interesting. The closing track is a nice guitar-voice Yes-kind of ballad, which is OK. It actually also shows that Davison has a good voice, as long as he's avoiding the higher pitched outings.
The rest of the album is really lacking in the song writing department and in the originality of playing: many melodies, riffs, vocal harmonies are just formulaic Yes ripp-offs and make you think of earlier works (which may be a recommendation to some...), lyrics are so-so to cringy and especially Luminosity is a good example of mediocrity.
So, imho, the best is at the end of the album, but you'll have to plow through a safe-playing, formulaic and uninspired Yes-tribute band during the first four tracks.

The second CD is superfluous: the first track is too full of different ideas, which makes it inconsistent, the two other tracks are rather uninteresting Steve Howe pop-rock ditties.

So, I won't buy it, but I must say that the title track of the album is not unpleasant to listen to, and the only one that shows that this band that calls themselves "Yes" might produce some above average music in the future...

Edited by suitkees - May 20 2023 at 05:39

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 09:34
Probably. There's no hurry to buy right away, though I'll probably take a listen to some of the tracks.  I don't run out and buy new albums anyway,--usually wait and see how they rate generally. 

Edited by zwordser - May 20 2023 at 09:35
Z
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 11:48
No. Next.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 12:49
Grumpy old Rick said "Don't waste yer time & money, Stack!" 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 13:07
Four listens in it's by far the best Davison era album and might be better than Fly From Here. Very pleasantly surprised so far.

Edited by Pekka - May 20 2023 at 13:11
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 10:51

Of course I bought it, I am a completist and must have all Yes studio albums on CD. I ordered it on the release date this time, rather than pre-ordered like I did The Quest. Honestly, I didn't expect much from it, but unlike the previous album, Mirror to the Sky has actually gotten me excited about Yes again! It's good!

telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 11:30
No way. This is not Yes. Have never bought anything with clueless alternative members like Trevor Rabin, Davidson or other second rate replacements.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 11:33
Originally posted by telefunk telefunk wrote:

No way. This is not Yes. Have never bought anything with clueless alternative members like Trevor Rabin, Davidson or other second rate replacements.

I enjoy the Rabin albums, especially 90125 and Big Generator. There, I said it. LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 11:44
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I enjoy the Rabin albums, especially 90125 and Big Generator. There, I said it. LOL

I would add Talk to the list. That has Endless Dream on it which is one of their best post 70s epics imo.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 11:52
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I would add Talk to the list. That has Endless Dream on it which is one of their best post 70s epics imo.

Yeah, Talk is a good album, I like the two I mentioned above more. 
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 12:02
Yes, endless dream was pretty good!
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 12:05
Very courageous ;-)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 21:20
I guess I will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>