2 [2.06%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [4.12%]
3 [3.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 14:33
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I guess, there're different opinions about it, as RYM, PA and Wikipedia consider it to be RtF's first album. Smile

So do Stuart Nicholson, the author of the very well-researched and thorough Jazz-Rock: A History (1998).

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 16:57
In a Silent Way, The Inner Mounting Flame, Crossings.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 23:02

I guess, there're different opinions about it, as RYM, PA and Wikipedia consider it to be RtF's first album. Smile

So do Stuart Nicholson, the author of the very well-researched and thorough Jazz-Rock: A History (1998).

This will always be one of those things where some people/publications/sites will retroactively consider the album to be the first RTF album, and others will stick to the official, literal artist attribution. I'm sure there will never be a consensus on how to consider it, despite the fact that, at the time of its release, it WAS attributed to Chick Corea. It's kind of like Roine Stolt's album The Flower King. Could it be considered the first TFK album? Sure. Is it, technically? No. But, whatever.

Incidentally, a copy of that book you just referenced is sitting on desk right in front of me (I have yet to crack it open). I got it from a used book store in North Hollywood.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 23:24
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

From the list... The Grand Wazoo and Birds of Fire.

No Pat Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, Weather Report, Jean-Luc Ponty, Dixie Dregs, Bruford, Brand X? No modern fusion like Antoine Fafard, Dewa Budjana, Panzerballett, Hiromi?

RYM does not express my tastes.

And I'm the opposite. I find it remarkable how much I love from the list. The first two Weather Report albums do rank amongst my favourites, by the way. Choosing just three is almost ridiculous as I love the vast majority of those.
Except for loving the same two early Weather Report as Logan does I don't miss any of those. In regards to modern fusion there's two entries from the 2000's in this poll, while only one (Hiromi) on PA top 25 fusion.
-
Btw: I also count Chick Corea - Return to Forever as Return to Forever's actual debut. It's my favorite of theirs as well. Romantic Warrior however represent everything I dislike about a certain kind of later 1970's fusion. Jazz/Sport Fusion.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 17 2023 at 23:30
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 23:37
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Jazz/Sport Fusion.

Never heard of this, I imagine it's a derogatory term. Can you give an example? Ermm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 23:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Jazz/Sport Fusion.

Never heard of this, I imagine it's a derogatory term. Can you give an example? Ermm
It's an attemnt to give this "hey everyone look at me, I can play A LOT of notes really fast!" fusion subgenre a proper name. I know that many, and proggers in particular disagree*, but to me it's the sound of all flash, no substance. RTF's early albums never gave me that feeling.
-
*many of the typically popular fusion albums, performers/bands among proggers like Spectrum, Elegant Gypsy & Mahavishnu/McLaughlin, Holdsworth, Brand X, Dixie Dregs... leaves me cold more often than not.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 18 2023 at 00:02
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 00:04

Jazz/Sport Fusion.
It's an attemnt to give this "hey everyone look at me, I can play A LOT of notes really fast!" fusion subgenre a proper name. I know that many, and proggers in particular disagree*, but to me it's the sound of all flash, no substance. RTF's early albums never gave me that feeling.
-
*many of the typically popular fusion albums, performers/bands among proggers like Spectrum, Elegant Gypsy & Mahavishnu/McLaughlin, Holdsworth, Brand X, Dixie Dregs... leaves me cold more often than not.

ok, thanks for explaining. Smile
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 04:18

Btw, this book is a great read about the history of the American Jazz Rock/Fusion.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 04:51

Jazz/Sport Fusion.
-

ok, thanks for explaining. Smile

this is a beef I especially have with Al Di Meola. that man just can't play slowly

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 05:01

Holdsworth, Brand X, and Dregs popular? Holdsworth's solo material is always viewed negatively here. You can't deny that Holdsworth was the most innovative guitar player ever, and his music is melodic. Not that it matters, but both Zappa and Van Halen mentioned Allan as a brilliant guitar player. Yes, some of his solos are fast, but I would not call that showing off. That is just his style. He plays the guitar like it's a saxophone. Are Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, and Miles Davis showing off when they play fast? Does that leave you cold?

I agree with you on McLaughlin. His songs, for me, are difficult to enjoy. Sport fusion at top speed, yet it currently has the most votes in this poll? Obviously, PA folk love some sport fusion.

Anyway, here is one of Allan's ballads. No sport solo.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - May 18 2023 at 06:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 06:19

Holdsworth, Brand X, and Dregs popular? Holdsworth's solo material is always viewed negatively here. You can't deny that Holdsworth was the most innovative guitar player ever, and his music is melodic.

Yes they represent a sort of fusion/playing that's particularly popular among proggers. As in they've got a greater status among progfans than elsehwere.

-I'm not denying anything, but I often (but not always) don't enjoy how Holdsworth plays - and the space he takes up in the music while doing it. He is one of the most popular fusion guitarists on these forums and is mentioned all the time, that's for sure. Plus everyone seem to think he saves those later Soft Machine albums - except for me who thinks he ruins them.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 18 2023 at 06:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 06:49
^The best thing about these forums are the differing views of music. I don't agree that Holdsworth is mentioned all the time in these forums. In fact, just the opposite.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 06:52

Holdsworth, Brand X, and Dregs popular? Holdsworth's solo material is always viewed negatively here. You can't deny that Holdsworth was the most innovative guitar player ever, and his music is melodic.

Yes they represent a sort of fusion/playing that's particularly popular among proggers. As in they've got a greater status among progfans than elsehwere.

-I'm not denying anything, but I often (but not always) don't enjoy how Holdsworth plays - and the space he takes up in the music while doing it. He is one of the most popular fusion guitarists on these forums and is mentioned all the time, that's for sure. Plus everyone seem to think he saves those later Soft Machine albums - except for me who thinks he ruins them.

Grumpy is a very prolific writer; maybe it's just him who mentions Holdsworth all the time? Tongue
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 07:22
I'm surprised to see Bruno Pernadas among such great musicians Shocked 

My votes went to:
Bruno Pernadas - Crocodiles
Casiopea - Casiopea
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters

Three of the albums I must have mentioned the most back when I listed everything here.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 08:09
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Grumpy is a very prolific writer; maybe it's just him who mentions Holdsworth all the time? Tongue
Yes it's mostly me. Thank you for noticing, Lewian.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:14

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Yes it's mostly me. Thank you for noticing, Lewian.

I did a search and since last autumn (which is the five pages that shows), Holdsworth in namechecked (positively, several times) by:

Gerinski, Manuel, Psychedelic Paul, BrufordFreak, Richardh, Jaketejas, DutchProg, Steve Wyzard, Rick1, Mellotron Storm, Yam Yam, MortSahlFan, Dick Heath, Necrotica, JazzFusionGuy, HolyMoly, disquesplusqueréel, mathman0806, altered_beast, David_D, Jacob Schoolcraft, Atavachron, Hrychu, Nogbad_The_Bad, AFlowerKingCrimson, Negoba, Mirakaze, Cristi, graysnk2, telefunk, wiz_d_kidd & of course Grumpyprogfan and Lewian + not nessecarely as "fans" by Logan, Balfriede and myself. Edit: also Sean Trane

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 18 2023 at 09:23
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:16

Billy Cobham's Spectrum features Jan Hammer, Lee Sklar and Tommy Bolin (as epic a line-up as any out there) and is a bona fide classic. Wink

The Dixie Dregs are popular? That's a new one to me. I mean, they should be!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:20
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Billy Cobham's Spectrum features Jan Hammer, Lee Sklar and Tommy Bolin (as epic a line-up as any out there) and is a bona fide classic. Wink

The Dixie Dregs are popular? That's a new one to me. I mean, they should be!
"Typically popular among proggers" is not the same as actually being popular. And yes I know you "all" love Spectrum. That's why I mentioned it.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:34

And yes I know you "all" love Spectrum. That's why I mentioned it.

Well, it's hard to dislike, no? LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:36
P.S. There are a lot of people (proggers and otherwise) who don't care for the Dregs. Naturally, I'm not one of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>