Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Red Masque Studio Albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What is your favourite album by The Red Masque?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [33.33%]
1 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Red Masque Studio Albums
    Posted: May 20 2023 at 02:19
Jean and I did a Red Masque marathon yesterday, listening through all six studio albums and both live albums. They are one of our favourite (excuse my British spelling) bands. We first heard them on some internet radio show and liked them immediately.

We then went to their homepage and flipped because they listed as influences Magma, King Crimson, Hawkwind, Gong, Van der Graaf Generator and Krautrock (they didn't specify any band there, but judging from their music I would guess bands like Amon Düül II and early Guru Guru). This is exactly up our alley1

Sadly they are very little known here, so this is an attempt at making them more popular.

Here the album covers:

If you don't know their music go to their site at Bandcamp; here the link:

You can listen to all their albums there. The title track of "Victoria and the Haruspex" is over 24 minutes long and as creepy as the album cover. I have no idea whose entrails the haruspex (a haruspex is someone who tells the future from the entrails of an animal) in the title looked at - perhaps Victoria's?

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 05:10
Thanks for posting this! I never heard of this band and I just listened to (most of) Victoria... and the whole Feathers for Flesh album. Really great! Will explore the other albums before leaving a vote...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 06:14
I've never heard of them either, but thank you for bringing them to my attention. I will certainly give them a try. They seem to be a really good band.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2023 at 08:41
Thanks again, this was a nice discovery listening trip. I went through their catalogue in chronological order. As said, I was already quite impressed by Victoria and the Haruspex and Feathers for Flesh. Their are also some wonderful tracks on Fossileyes and Mythologue, but they came over as a bit less consistent or sometimes leaning a bit too much to the heavy side, to my liking. However, their most wonderful album for me is their last; a great listen from start to finish, and the added violin has something to do with that - a little masterpiece! It gets my vote.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2023 at 11:39
FoF
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2023 at 16:17
Being from the Philly area I have seen them multiple times and knew the members of the band. I even interviewed them once. I have not heard all of their albums but I do like Feathers For Flesh a bit and also their early stuff. A good band who don't sound like other bands. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2023 at 04:08
Fossil Eyes
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply