Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best metal bands that are not prog metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 13:31
Originally posted by aprusso aprusso wrote:

But Judas Priest for me are among the greatest. I recently saw them live and I still have goospebumps for what Halford can do at 70 yo. And they do get proggy ... 

He made Freddy Mercury look like Mr. Rogers.   He's incredible.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
altered_beast View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altered_beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 16:55
Tarja, Within Temptation, Evanescence, Helloween, Stratovarius, and Saxon. Prefer the Symphonic ones to the Power ones but the Power ones often surprise me.

Tarja’s My Winter Storm is as great as anything Nightwish and her live albums are phenomenal both Metal or the real Opera performance ones that also have multiple releases. Within Temptations albums “Mother Earth” and “The Silent Force” are Prog Metal essentials. I don’t know what happened to them after that otherwise they would or should be on Prog Archives.

Evanescence has a good amount of classical influence and some nice piano and classical soloing I really enjoy. They have a live album with an orchestra that is really good and it’s really cool to see Amy Lee singing and playing on the piano at the same time.

Helloween was years ahead of their time and you would think they were one of the most important bands in influencing and even pioneering Prog Metal even surpassing Iron Maiden in a few ways. Their contributions and importance are impossible to ignore.

Saxon might be the RC Cola of the NWOBM and they are definitely not Iron Maiden or Judas Priest but I can’t think of much more that’s far better than them that would dethrone them from 3rd place. Maiden and Priest definitely had a Prog album or a few. Saxon has random Proggy moments that catch you off guard. And when they do you wonder why they don’t stay like that. I guess I kind of feel that way about Power Metal band Stratovarius which puts them into mention.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 01:58
Originally posted by altered_beast altered_beast wrote:

Tarja, Within Temptation, Evanescence, Helloween, Stratovarius, and Saxon. Prefer the Symphonic ones to the Power ones but the Power ones often surprise me.

Tarja’s My Winter Storm is as great as anything Nightwish and her live albums are phenomenal both Metal or the real Opera performance ones that also have multiple releases. Within Temptations albums “Mother Earth” and “The Silent Force” are Prog Metal essentials. I don’t know what happened to them after that otherwise they would or should be on Prog Archives.

Evanescence has a good amount of classical influence and some nice piano and classical soloing I really enjoy. They have a live album with an orchestra that is really good and it’s really cool to see Amy Lee singing and playing on the piano at the same time.

Helloween was years ahead of their time and you would think they were one of the most important bands in influencing and even pioneering Prog Metal even surpassing Iron Maiden in a few ways. Their contributions and importance are impossible to ignore.

Saxon might be the RC Cola of the NWOBM and they are definitely not Iron Maiden or Judas Priest but I can’t think of much more that’s far better than them that would dethrone them from 3rd place. Maiden and Priest definitely had a Prog album or a few. Saxon has random Proggy moments that catch you off guard. And when they do you wonder why they don’t stay like that. I guess I kind of feel that way about Power Metal band Stratovarius which puts them into mention.

Nobody calls Within Temptation progressive metal, let alone essential one. They also became more and more commercial, to the point they are unrecognizable these days.

Nobody ignores the importance of Helloween as a metal band, but "pioneering prog-metal"? I don't think so, although I would call them one of the fathers of European power metal, along with Blind Guardian and a little bit later Gamma Ray (Kai Hansen) and Stratovarius (who influenced a lot of bands on their own). 

Nobody calls Saxon "RC Cola", just you. It's one of the most respected bands out there. Iron Maiden, Saxon and Diamond Head are the best known NWOBHM bands and for good reason. They still release music to this day and I dare say more interesting and entertaining than later day Iron Maiden.  

Edited by Cristi - May 27 2023 at 13:37
altered_beast View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altered_beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 15:03
You completely took everything I said out of context. I’m not going to respond. A waste of my time.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 15:12

You completely took everything I said out of context. I’m not going to respond. A waste of my time.

So you're not gonna respond to anyone disagreeing with you? 
A Waste of YOUR time? Rather rude thing to say. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 22:45
Besides prog metal, I like a lot of what might be called symphonic metal, though most of the bands I could think of would actually be included in prog archives... even though I wouldn't exactly consider them prog metal. Such as Rhapsody (of Fire), Nightwish, Epica, Therion, Tristania, Within Temptation, Apocalyptica.
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 06:53

Pretty much agree with all of this. Some good recommendations on here.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMSM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2023 at 11:26

FM (the UK Band)/Wildlife - featuring the fabulous voice of Steve Overland

Thunder - What Bad Company should have sounded like if not gone for posing instead of performing

Free - Paul Kossoff kicked ass with just one note than the Shredders" did in umpteenth notes 

Cream - Live albums 

Blackfoot - Strikes, Marauder and Tomcattin albums 

Molly Hatchet - Beatin the Odds, Take No Prisoners, Double Trouble live featuring their best version of one of the best songs ever - Fall of the Peacemakers

Black Oak Arkansas - both Raunch "N Roll Live and Live Motha - no one sounds like Jim Dandy Mangrum

Kiss - Music of the Elder - wish a prog band would do this album as it does have the ability to be a great prog album and of course the Alive recording - Alive II isn't too bad - best is the bootleg Lost Alive 

Status Quo - some of the best boogie ever, especially Status Quo Live

AC/DC with Bon Scott 

Saxon - The eagle has landed live albums +

Foghat - live 

UFO  - Strangers in the Night (Live), No place to run, the Wild willing and innocent (not with Michael Schenker, but their best studio albums in my opinion)

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak, Johnny the Fox, Bad Reputation, Live and Dangerous, Black Rose 

The Sweet 
The Boyzz - Too Wild to Tame 

Sensational Alex Harvey Band - live = Hard Rock + British Carnaby Music Hall

- I've put a lot of live albums because a lot of these bands could not transfer their energy in the studio, where even "doctored" live recordings like Kiss Alive, still kept the energy their studio albums failed to generate
IncogNeato View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2023 at 08:07

Quote Best metal bands that are not prog metal

For the purposes of my response, I'm defining "prog metal" as "Dream Theater/Fates Warning" types:

Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Entombed
At The Gates
Voivod
Nevermore
Trouble
Candlemass
Mercyful Fate
Paradise Lost
Katatonia

I could go on...but I'll stop.
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2023 at 09:34
As Sandy Pearlman invented the name "Heavy Metal" to describe some of BoC's heavier stuff, I've always thought that BoC has to be grandfathered into "metal". 

Black Sabbath was more considered "acid rock", but definitely had the sound to be included in metal. 

I don't think much between those two bands applies as anything more than "hard rock". 

With Judas Priest and Iron Maiden you start getting "metal". 

And I've always differentiated Metallica, Megadeath and my third M: Metal Church, as "thrash". 
-John
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 09:44
What about AFT (Automatic Fine Tuning)? Self titled album from 1976 sounds very close to prog metal.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 12:24
Here’s a list of almost 3000 metal releases which are not prog … I think this is what the OP asked for. Sorted by rating …

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 12:47
Classic, Message's From Books and Dreams stands out for me, especially for the tracks Dreams and Nightmares (Dreams) and Dreams and Nightmares (Nightmares). A lot of heavy psych would, I think, fit the bill. These are some of my classic favourite albums on the heavy metal or harder rock side:
Armaggedon - Armaggedon (1970)
Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You (1970)
Birth Control - Hoodoo Man (1972)
Black Widow - Sacrifice (1970)
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum (1968)
Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond (1972)
Coven - Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls (1969)
Damnation of Adam Blessing - The Damnation of Adam Blessing (1969)
Gun - Gun (1968)
High Tide - Sea Shanties (1969)
Lucifer's Friend - Lucifer's Friend (1970)
Message - From Books and Dreams (1973)
Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come (1970)
Writing on the Wall - The Power of the Picts (1969)
Yesterday's Children - Yesterday's Children (1970)

As more modern ones, consider looking into Kayo Dot's Choirs of the Eye, Secret Chiefs 3 Book of Horizons (2004), and Taal.

I also think that Chelsea Wolfe's Hiss Spin could be a good one to look into.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 13:00
“Metal” has become an ill-defined label. Most of the classic albums you listed I would label “heavy metal”. The NWoBHM later led to a new wave of metal which is quite different from that. Considering that there are much more “post-thrash” releases than there are from the classic, pre-nwobhm era, I would say that the term “metal”, without other qualifiers, refers more to those modern releases.

A question to those of you who are old enough to have experienced this classic era in your youth: did you really refer to that music as “metal” back then?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 13:46
^ I too would label many of those classics heavy metal, and in fact I did, as well as describing them on the harder rock side and mentioned heavy psych. The OP specifically mentioned Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Pink Floyd, as well as Rush and Porcupine Tree. That classic list of mine could well appeal to fans of Black Sabbath, and the psych qualities could well appeal to one into certain Porcupine Tree (not as band I got into) and Pink Floyd, this is the heaviest Pink Floyd track I can think of:

More important than the metal label is I think the examples when coming up with ones (trying to understand where the OP is trying to come from). And I do prefer the individually tailored ones to mega lists (that said, I did list a bunch of my faves). As for the kinds of classic music I listed, I thought of that kind of stuff as heavy metal (I was not born until the 70s). The movie Heavy Metal may have influenced me too.

Edited by Logan - July 07 2023 at 13:49
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 15:56
^ I agree on all of that, basically. We all have different ideas when we hear the word "metal", and I am not so much interested in it as a "label", but more in the different flavors of music that are associated with it. As for the "mega lists" ... I think that both these and hand-crafted recommendations have their advantages and disadvantages. Here's one that is more narrowed down and only based on my ratings, so it's only about 400 releases:

I do think that browsing the list *could* be of value to someone. It's for them to decide! Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 17:43
^ I like labels for more than my prescriptions. In the metal and heavy metal related area, I mostly am interested in what I tend to think of as classic 60/70s heavy psych, and I do like plenty of post-metal, sludge metal doom, stoner, atmospheric metal and experimental metal. Of course such lists (to your site, to RYM etc.) can be of value, although I tend to post what I think is most relevant from a list and then link to it (I understand you wanting people to check out your site which you have put so much effort into and I appreciate and for which I wish recognition, longevity and success). What I meant was sometimes people are looking for recommendations, or just what you think best or favourites, and they might give examples in the original post, and some will just say, maybe try this, and link to a huge number of albums or post what are sometimes called laundry lists of albums -- throw everything in rather than being more selective. I appreciate the more selective approach when people respond to my topics. Even for discussion-sake (actually talking about individual albums and sharing impressions), I would rather focus on fewer per person, but that's my preference. It doesn't mean it should be others. A balanced approach that can do both can work very well. Quality over quantity, but quantity has its place too and one can have both quality and quantity -- it does help when people try to list what they think are the best examples, or what they find best according to their or the OPs biases, or both.

And some don;t read beyond the headlines, so to speak, and so, despite my having specified "heavy metal", "heavy psych" etc., which is not quite the same as "metal" to me (it's related) I thought you were questioning my inclusion of those in a topic entitled "Best metal bands that are not prog metal". Were I not to consider the original post, then my answer would have been very different.

Originally posted by cold 103 cold 103 wrote:

I'm a huge fan of prog metal, but my question is, which bands that are not prog metal would appeal the most to prog metal fans? I'm trying to discover some good stuff!

Obviously Rush, Porcupine Tree, and Pink Floyd. But I'm hoping to mostly get recommendations here of bands that are not considered prog enough to be prominent on Prog Archives.

I would say Black Sabbath! This band has so much awesome music! The albums "Black Sabbath", "Paranoid", "Master of Reality", and "Heaven and Hell" are all very good! Arjen Lucassen (from Ayreon) has said that "Heaven and Hell" is one of his favorite albums of all time! The live album "Live Evil" is also good!

Deep Purple's live album "Made in Japan" is great!

I do hope that the OP chimes in again. While Cold has been a registered user here since 2005, is not the most prolific poster by a long shot. A certain user here, not posting now since there was too much risk of a supermassive back hole forming due to the weight of all the posts, has been known to generate more posts in a day than Cold did in 18 years. We're trying to phil in that lesser hole, but it might take some years.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2023 at 18:39
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

What about AFT (Automatic Fine Tuning)? Self titled album from 1976 sounds very close to prog metal.

That's because it was, and before Schenker or Roth or Malmsteen did the classical/metal thing.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 20:00
One of the quintessential NWoBHM albums, guitarist/songwriter Kevin Heybourne's Angel Witch

Angel Witch (album) - Wikipedia
Angel Witch (album) - Wikipedia
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2023 at 12:57
Originally posted by cold103 cold103 wrote:

Obviously Rush, Porcupine Tree, and Pink Floyd.

None of those are metal bands.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>