0 [0.00%]
3 [7.89%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [13.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 08:35
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I add: it seems to me a real scandal that a group can be called Yes without having any of the founding musicians inside.

Maybe the point of the paradox is to show meaningless the question of "becoming another thing". Is the UK (or any nation) the same it was in the 19th century? People may not be the same, but they're still here.

That sounds like the Trigger's Broom Paradox, where his broom has had 17 new heads and 14 new handles and he's still using "the same" broom 20 years later - although Trigger wouldn't go as far as saying it's lasted him two decades. Tongue

I guess the "funny effect" of the paradox comes from comparing inanimated objects with persons. Behind a (group of) person(s) possibly lies a story, a concept, an epic, a journey, like is the case with Theseus (and not with Trigger). That ship is always "the same" because it embodies the mythical journey. Who cares the planks?

Edited by Heart of the Matter - May 29 2023 at 08:40
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 09:36
I'm for sure not excited about that album; I didn't like the two tracks I have heard much. However what I don't really get is the discussion about whether they are "really" Yes in connection with liking or not liking the album. For me, whether I like the music on the album or not has zero to do with whether the band who recorded it is called Yes, and to what extent they are "real" Yes is irrelevant for me as it doesn't change the quality of any of the notes they're playing.
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 11:58
I don't know if it's really a "divisive" album. I feel it's pretty much panned and/or ignored most places except on here. Every bad album has its fans, but I don't think this one has nearly enough of them to counter all the negativity surrounding this release. On RYM it's sitting at a 2.48, which is abysmal. Either way, it's another new album by an old artist that people won't remember or list to anymore 20 years from now - by then nobody will remember the names of the last 2 decades of Yes' albums, or will be able to tell their album covers apart. Yes I'm slighly excaggerating.

What I've heard of it so far is at best inoffensive, and at worst boring. It's the kind of music that can only be made by a 50+ old band that's trying to play it safe. The kind of music that would get close to no traction (not that it's getting that much traction to begin with) if it weren't for the name Yes attached to it. There's just something depressing about a band that, after going through a period of changing their style, goes back to what they're best known for, but as generically as possible. Yes in the 70's was pushing boundaries and evolving. Yes in the 2020's just wants to sound like Yes in the 70's, and I don't think that ever results in good music. It's like how the last three Metallica albums sound like parodies of their classic era.

Whether the players are founding members doesn't really matter to me, but having only 1 member from the band's golden age...at that point just change the name of the band, man. But then people wouldn't care about the album, would they? That might be a bit cynical towards Howe, but I'm sure he's aware of both the silliness of still calling this unit Yes, and the fact that it's the name Yes that's doing most of the heavy lifting here.

Anyway, maybe I'm being too big of a negative nancy, but like I've said on this forum before, it just bums me out when a band has 10-15 years of classic music, followed by literal decades of stuff nobody's going to care about when all is said and done.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 13:53
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

Yes in the 2020's just wants to sound like Yes in the 70's, and I don't think that ever results in good music. It's like how the last three Metallica albums sound like parodies of their classic era.
Ha! Mirror to the Sky and 72 Seasons are my two biggest surprises this year, both are great despite very modest expectations. 
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 14:48
^^ Do you see? Divisive!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 14:55
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

Yes in the 2020's just wants to sound like Yes in the 70's, and I don't think that ever results in good music. It's like how the last three Metallica albums sound like parodies of their classic era.
Ha! Mirror to the Sky and 72 Seasons are my two biggest surprises this year, both are great despite very modest expectations. 

I liked the Metallica album, saved by a James Hetfield in top form. 
But the new Yes album did nothing for me. Oh well... 
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 14:21

The new album has gotten me excited about Yes again for the first time in ages. I am a huge Yes fan (duh!), but for the longest time I haven't listened to anything by them, and have had no particular desire to do so. I dutyfully bought The Quest when that came out, but heard it only a handful of times at the time. Mirror to the Sky is much better, I really enjoy it.

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - June 07 2023 at 14:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 17:57
^ I agree, Mirror To The Sky is probably not the South Side Of The Sky (that one really made an impression), but, in my experience, is a slow grower. Each listen reveals something more.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 04:36
It's good! Which is kind of bad, considering that it's coming from a band who(se former members) published some of the most iconic masterpieces of the genre.

I think this is where the divisiveness is coming from - people refuse to assess the music objectively. And this may be justified - there is no law saying that you must be objective in matters of taste.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 06:04
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Confused
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

YES, it's time to update my Top 7 albums list again. Smile 

ConfusedConfused
Which part of my updated YES Top 7 are you confused by? Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 09:19
I voted "good." It would be a three star album for me on PA.  
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 11:18
Sorry to say. Too many clueless reviewers on this site. Like too many clueless voters in democracies :-(
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 14:07
^ Clueless remark, I'm sorry to say: this is a thread commenting on a certain Yes album...
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 06:01
As someone who just recently got into prog, I was very excited for some of the classic bands to have a new release. So this is the Yes album I've kinda 'grown up with'. So for me, It'll have an emotional attachment to it. It's not a terrible album by any means. Sure, the lyrics aren't great, but musically it's pretty good. 2.48 on RYM is low. I'd say it deserves about a 3. 
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 11:40
Huh? OK I didnt make myself clear: this is not Yes (never can be without Jon Anderson) and so some reviews are clueless: meaning not having the knowledge & experience to review in any significant way.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 13:54

^ Clueless remark, I'm sorry to say: this is a thread commenting on a certain Yes album...

Not clueless, not at all... The clue is that he cannot tell Yes from Queen Geek.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 16:31
Originally posted by telefunk telefunk wrote:

Huh? OK I didnt make myself clear: this is not Yes (never can be without Jon Anderson) and so some reviews are clueless: meaning not having the knowledge & experience to review in any significant way.

Would you please go to write your own review, just to see if you have some "knowledge & experience" of your own? I mean, actually listen to an album and write about it, not just about someone else's work. Then we'll see where comes your authority from...
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 16:37
Originally posted by telefunk telefunk wrote:

Says Yes on the cover. If it is "not Yes" to you, then that's your opinion, and others might differ. Personally, when I listened to the album I didn't care much about who was playing. I just evaluated what came out of the speakers (headphones, to be precise).

Where's your review? Here's mine, too short to put on PA anyway. If you think it's invalid because I'm not mentioning that it's NOT Yes, then good for you!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 16:41
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Not clueless, not at all... The clue is that he cannot tell Yes from Queen Geek.

OMG, then I cannot suggest Liberace for Rococo Prog?
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2023 at 11:43
Good question. False Yes, no review.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>