Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Wall (1979) vs Operation: Mindcrime (1988)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
40 [70.18%]
17 [29.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 05:56

The Wall
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 06:14
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

very apples and oranges poll

Isn't it just? I wonder how many voters have both albums in their collection? I'd imagine many voting for 'The Wall' just don't enjoy Prog Metal full stop. In reality, this is 'Ryche's finest moment whereas The Wall is certainly nowhere near as good as what went before.

I have both, and don't particularly like either, The Wall is one of my least favorite Floyd albums, it would have made a great single album versus a double but that's probably heresy for fans. 

I have something like 50 Prog Metal albums, more if you include Avant Metal like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Queensryche just never connected with me at all. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 07:51
Operation Mindcrime has a huge place in my heart for when it came out, how it was so different thematically from everything else at the time. I listened to it top to bottom so many times.

Everyone also worshipped The Wall in high school and college but for me, the good stuff is amazing but there is a lot of filler. It is very difficult to listen to all the way through. I may have only listened to the Wall in its entirety live with local Floyd cover bands.

Mindcrime
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Boi_da_boi_124 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boi_da_boi_124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 08:07
I NEVER liked 'The Wall' (read my review if you want),so 'Operation: Mindcrime'.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 10:16
The Wall

I’ve tried with OM but I just don’t like it. Silent Lucidity is the only Queensryche song that I like!
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 12:09
I would like to say thanks to everybody for 2 pages of responses in less than a day, but also to respond myself to the "apples and oranges" accusation, as if I just randomly chose two albums for a poll.

I'm fully cognizant that Pink Floyd are considered Classic Prog, while Queensryche are considered Prog Metal. At the same time, I was "there and aware" when both albums were released, and I remember how listeners reacted upon hearing them for the first time. The Wall was FAR more immediately popular, as Pink Floyd had an amazing track record behind them, while Queensryche in 1988 were still considered "up and coming". Yet I'll never forget thinking when I first heard Operation: Mindcrime that "this is just The Wall all over again for a Metal audience."

Musically, they are very different, but THEMATICALLY I still see them as very similar. I'm not suggesting that Queensryche actually sat down and decided, "Let's write a new album with the exact same atmosphere and themes as The Wall", or that they plagiarized Pink Floyd's ideas. Rather, both albums stood out from everything else at the time by not only being musically ambitious, but also by experimenting with fatalistic nihilism.

Now that I've said that, I'm sure some will say, "You need to go back and listen again - you just didn't get it!" Perhaps, but this is how I see them now, and this is what suggested the poll.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 12:19
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Yet I'll never forget thinking when I first heard Operation: Mindcrime that "this is just The Wall all over again for a Metal audience."

Yeah, I hear The Wall whenever I listen to Operation: Mindcrime. I didn't think this was a random pairing of albums.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 13:39
QR – O:M for me. It was the soundtrack of '88! Watch the dragon burn!
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 13:52
Pink Floyd - The Wall
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 13:55
Both are incredible albums but it’s The Wall
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 14:49
The Wall
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 15:22
Queensr˙che - Operation: Mindcrime
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 17:54
For some reason I can't really get into OM that much. The Wall is great though so that was my choice.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 12:17
I have both

but 

it's no contest

The Wall is a masterpiece for me

Mindcrime .... not so much
Prog On!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 04:18
Voted for The Wall.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 08:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The Wall...and it's not even vaguely close. 
Operation Mindcrime and it isn't even remotely close.
The Wall would be a 1* album if it wasn't for Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 08:28
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

The Wall would be a 1* album if it wasn't for Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell.

LOL
Hey You is a great song. 

Edited by Cristi - May 27 2023 at 08:28
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 09:04

That’s just silly!!!🙄🤔😡😊
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 18:31

Boy, that's certainly a....take. Myopic and daft, but a take nonetheless.

Actually, there are numerous good songs on The Wall, other than the 2 you mentioned:

Another Brick in the Wall, Parts 1, 2 and 3 (so subversive it was banned by the Apartheid Government of South Africa for fomenting rebellion in black schools). The only Floyd single to hit #1.
Mother (a personal favorite)
Goodbye Blue Sky (another favorite, fantastic descending scale by Gilmour)
Young Lust (some wonderfully sleazy guitar)
Hey You (Another excellent turn by Gilmour)
Nobody Home (probably Waters' best representation of isolation)
When the Tigers Broke Free (same session, in the movie, but not released till The Final Cut

And in regards to "Comfortably Numb" and "Run Like Hell", there are no songs on Operation: Mindcrime that come even close to that level of greatness. So, there's that. 

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 20:26
I really don't know the Queensr˙che album well enough to feel comfortable voting in this. Like many I got to know the band for its Floydian/ David Gilmour lovefest of a song, Silent Lucidity. Nice but no Comfortably Numb. Speaking of Comfortably Numb, while that was a favourite song of mine off The Wall as a pre-teen, I don't much like that song anymore -- it's mostly those soaring Gilmour guitars that just don't really appeal to me anymore. Partially the song was overplayed but also all the kinds of imitation or just similar guitar stuff put me off -- I think it's been very influential to Neo-Prog (those kinds of soaring Gilmoureque guitars....). and Neo-Prog tends not to be my thing. Kind of too polished arena melodic rocky for my tastes.

From the Wall, I much prefer Mother, Goodbye Blue Sky, Waiting for the Worms, Run Like Hell and my favourite, One of My Turns (I've had some bad turns myself) to Comfortably Numb. I think the whole album is great. When I was camping overnight for tickets for The Wall in 1986 with my friends, it was magical when we had loads of people singing songs from the album together. I especially remember us doing Mother en masse.

Edited by Logan - May 27 2023 at 20:27
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>