Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First two live Rush albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [33.33%]
14 [46.67%]
5 [16.67%]
1 [3.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First two live Rush albums
    Posted: May 25 2023 at 17:38
I saw someone post on facebook that they didn't like the sound of ESL. I haven't heard it in a long time but don't remember it being that bad. One complaint I read was that the songs sound too much like the studio versions. ATWAS seems to have more of that raw energy. I think both are good though. Which do you prefer?
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 17:58
Exit...Stage Left. They had better material by then.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 19:55
All The World's A Stage
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 23:15
All The World's A Stage for me. It's a much better capture of the live experience. ESL is great too, but suffers from a dry and sterile mix.  Maybe one day they could remix it and bring it back to the excitement of a live show.
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 01:39
I am skewed about this pollErmmWink

I'm the nutcaseClown yelling & whistling you can hear  in your lower right speaker of All The World (Actually I was at two of the three shows, but obviously not the same place) I was on the first balcony of the third show. 

Those two shows were my first "major concert": all I'd seen before were high-school Friday night concert, I had seen Rush & Triumph and would see FM, Goddo, Maneige and plenty others (most of whom never released an album) 

As for Exit Stage, it was recorded all over the place instead on one (Massey Hall)

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 02:20
ESL.... because of the strength of the material
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 06:32
My ears dig both.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 07:40
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'm the nutcaseClown yelling & whistling you can hear  in your lower right speaker of All The World (Actually I was at two of the three shows, but obviously not the same place) I was on the first balcony of the third show. 

Those two shows were my first "major concert": all I'd seen before were high-school Friday night concert, I had seen Rush & Triumph and would see FM, Goddo, Maneige and plenty others (most of whom never released an album) 

As for Exit Stage, it was recorded all over the place instead on one (Massey Hall)

Most awesome post I've ever read.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 15:47
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

What tracks are you yelling and whistling on? I'll have to listen for it.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 27 2023 at 11:39
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 00:41
ESL was the only Rush album I owned for a long time. Its really a compilation album excepting of course 2112 which is on ATWAS. I initially found the earlier live album quite 'noisy' and not at all becoming of a prog band!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 11:41
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ESL was the only Rush album I owned for a long time. Its really a compilation album excepting of course 2112 which is on ATWAS. I initially found the earlier live album quite 'noisy' and not at all becoming of a prog band!

Rush were probably not a full blown prog band yet when they did ATWAS. They were getting there though especially with the title track to 2112. That track is not on ESL though. I think only "passage to bangkok" is represented on there.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 13:36
Both albums sound great to me.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 00:07
All The World's A Stage
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 01:23
Exit ... Stage Left
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 10:14
Originally posted by Progfan1958 Progfan1958 wrote:

All The World's A Stage for me. It's a much better capture of the live experience. ESL is great too, but suffers from a dry and sterile mix.  Maybe one day they could remix it and bring it back to the excitement of a live show.

That's correct. I recall an interview with Geddy, I think, where he says they went a little too far in toning down the crowd noise.

ESL sounds muted but the material is strong
ATWAS sounds much rawer but it has more of the feel of being at a live show.

I vote Exit because of the material but I certainly would like to hear a remix of it.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 14:48
Hearing the crowd noise is all part of the excitement of hearing a live album. It makes you feel like you were there (or at least as much as possible). 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 13:00
Exit....but tbh I don't play live lps often.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Euclid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Euclid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 15:42
Both great but Exit takes it. Rush In Rio and Show of Hands also recommended and the live set that came with the Moving Pictures anniversary edition is stunning
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 22:19
Most rush fans would hate me for this but I fell in love with Rush with Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, and Hold Your Fire.  So for me, my favorite Rush live set would be A Show of Hands.  Still love it.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 20:58
No mention for Different Stages? That has the perfect live sound mix but then you have to be a bit of a fan of the 90's albums .. and most aren't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>