Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Wall: Then and Now

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Has your appreciation of The Wall changed over time?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [59.26%]
3 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [12.96%]
11 [20.37%]
1 [1.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 21:02
I still like it a lot, even though is not as good as Wish You Were Here, or Animals, but a good album that I spin here and there, and always gives me some good listening pleasure.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 23:03
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Liked it then & now though not every passage is stellar, but it can't all be gold, right?   Not sure if lack of audit frequency should disqualify it from greatness, there are many great albums I don't listen to very often anymore but probably should.

The sound of The Wall was what got me...and of course the drama of it all, taking musical theater production to a conceptual & acoustic peak.   Not their finest release but still a masterpiece.
Really well said I mean the samples added for the most part really added to this like the fighter jet coming in hard, maybe the ultimate concept album. Saw the movie in a theatre at the time but as for someone like myself in my late teens this was pretty amazing.

Seeing the film in one's teens was a rite of passage in the early '80s.   It was a depraved, depressing spectacle but somehow fit that high-strung & uneasy decade.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 05:21

Liked it then, still like it now
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 05:36
Liked it then and like it now. Just not an album that I listen to in its entirety anymore.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 06:59
I really liked it then, and I like it much less now. My interest has decreased in recent years because much of it reminds me of the direction in which Roger Waters was moving the sound (and message) of the band. At the time it came out, I accepted it as a brief and hopefully temporary aberration to the PF sound that I loved, but upon hearing what RW has done (and said) in the years that followed, I now dislike it more and more. Now, when some of the Waters-dominant pieces play, I think to myself... "Oh, shut the F*** up, Roger" and hit the skip track button.
“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 07:53
It was a lodestone for me over many years. I was 15 when it was released, and this and Animals defined my politics for many years.

Musically, it remains very powerful, but I recall Gilmour stating in an interview a few years back that he supported it fully at the time (he had no choice, because financially the band were at risk of liquidation), but, on reflection in later years, he felt it was "a bit of a whinge". I agree, although I would point out it didn't stop him or the others playing tracks from it live.

My issue with Waters is his rants over Israel in particular. I used to hear it every single bloody year attending civil service trade union annual conference. Waters says absolutely nothing new whatsoever, basically rehashing tropes the left in the UK have been saying for years without any understanding of the complexities, history, and nuances which exist in the Middle East, and Palestine in particular. The idea that "Israel bad, Palestine good", or, indeed, vice versa, is for immature minds.

The other issue I have is the rank hypocrisy he demonstrates in performing this piece in massive stadia, given that the whole concept was born from his opinion that such arenas separated band from music fans.

In short, I find him tiresome these days. I am not the same person as I was, because as people age and mature, they develop their opinions to fit the facts. Waters is, by contrast, regressing.

Laz rant over.

Edited by lazland - May 29 2023 at 07:55
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 09:06
I liked it a little back then. Today I'm ambivalent. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 09:41
I much prefer the earlier versions of Pink Floyd, the magic and experimentation went out when Roger imposed more of himself on the band.

Edited by Easy Money - May 29 2023 at 09:52
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 10:19
I thought it was a weak Floyd album back then, I like it even less these days. Waters gets more and more tiresome.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 10:40
I ultimately voted "liked it then and like it now."
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 10:49
Thank you all for the comments (so far). It's interesting to read each and everyone's take on this. Thumbs Up

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 11:29
"Then" in my case is about 12 years ago when I first heard the album. I couldn't really get into it, even after repeated listens, so at some point I just had to admit to myself that I didn't like it that much. A lot of filler on this one, and Waters' whiny vocals are hard to tolerate for an entire double album. He clearly had enough story material for a double album, but not enough music, so whether or not he had a compelling story to tell is moot. Too bad the other members weren't there to mitigate that problem. Btw, you can probably tell how I feel about The Final Cut, then.

That said, it's been years since I've heard it in full, and I've been going through Pink Floyd chronologically, because there's been a couple albums that I never really played much. So I've been reappraising Saucerful and More lately, even the studio disc of Ummagumma (the live disc I've always found brilliant), and the same could happen to The Wall I suppose, whenever I get there. But I'm not getting my hopes up.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 12:54
Voted other.....I liked about half of it then and still do.
Probably would  have been a far better single lp with proper song editing and selection.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 15:14
Liked it then, still like it now.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 21:04
Its basically 'Prog Opera'. Massively overblown but so many inspired moments. Very different to the consistency of Wish You Were Here or DSOTM but then it was similar to when The Who put out Quadrophenia. Anyone like that over Who's Next?! Apples and Oranges.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 21:06
^ Yessir, very musical theater, I also hear an early Genesis influence in the record.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 23:21
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I thought it was a weak Floyd album back then, I like it even less these days. Waters gets more and more tiresome.

Did you get the revamped "Animals" cd? I need to replace mine and noticed the cool updated cover art. 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 23:25
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I much prefer the earlier versions of Pink Floyd, the magic and experimentation went out when Roger imposed more of himself on the band.

For me the sweet spot is Saucerful Of Secrets, Meddle and Dark Side Of The Moon but I also need Animals not Wish You Were Here to be content with my favourite FLOYD.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 11:33
I bought it without listening to it when it came out, played it twice and wondered how a band could fall so far between albums, because Animals was great. I didn't play it again for about 10 years, decided that I still didn't like it and sold it.
I did take the precaution of listening to the next album before I committed to buying it and decided not to, because that was pretty awful as well..
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 11:45
Loved it like virtually no other music I had ever heard when I first discovered it in my parents record collection. Still like it - or rather I still love it, really. I can never stop loving it, and there's a lot of great songs on it that will never grow old. But I havent listened to the album in full once in the 2000's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>