Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: DT performs Dark Side
    Posted: November 06 2005 at 16:28
...and it's really not too great
Joel Berntson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 15:08

OK, !!!  by the way... i managed to catch a place where you can download the bootleg

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3402803

Korova View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 14:43
Originally posted by Pafnutij Pafnutij wrote:

Dark Side is one of the most boring albums ever

please...
La Speranza della coscienza č forza
La Speranza del sentimento č schiavitų
La Speranza del corpo č malattia
                                       (G.I. Gurdjieff)
Korova View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 14:41
No!!! Not that!!!!
La Speranza della coscienza č forza
La Speranza del sentimento č schiavitų
La Speranza del corpo č malattia
                                       (G.I. Gurdjieff)
lunaticviolist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 22:50
I heard bits and pieces of DT's performance of DSOTM, but it was pretty much note-for-note.  (Any Colour You Like was a little different.)  When I hear a cover, I want to hear something new.
My recent purchases:
Peace Frog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 12:16
I would have loved to see that so much. Dream Theater do excellent covers, that would be amazing!

Space Dimentia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 07:04
I saw them last tuesday at hammersmith and trust me it was absolutly amazing! they done the WHOLE album with all the tiny little bits that make the album so great!
Prog is music for the mind
Hear your Orphaned child!
Check out my bands myspace site: www.myspace.com/equinox17
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 00:12
I would love to hear DT perform DSotM. I don't know how they would do it. I
honestly can't picture them playing space rock, but it would be interesting to
hear.

Edited by FragileDT
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
lmollea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 12:53
I add my two small cents on this discussion...

Originally posted by Reverie Reverie wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

The problem is: DSotM is a very controversial album. But there are enough people who think that it's a masterpiece. Many of these people are VERY experienced in prog. You are 16 years old ... I am 30 years old. Others are 20 years older than me, 34 years older than you. They were teenagers when that album was released. They have unique insights in the prog scene that you (or I) will never have. Many of them have witnessed Pink Floyd concerts (when the members of Pink Floyd were as young as current prog bands members are today).

Therefore it's foolish to say "DSotM is a bad album" ... you're not an authority, you don't decide that. The community here wrote many reviews of the album, and the result says: masterpiece.

I don't think any one insight is more valid than any other insight. There are no authorities but the person themself when it comes to music. The community does not decide how one person feels about an album. I understand what you're saying - that DSOTM is an influential and landmark album; that those who got to experience it at the time of its release have a unique view of it that those of us who were born well after just cannot have; and that such an album should be respected - but that does not diminish the value of our views of the album at all, it just gives us a different one. Taste is taste, no matter what the generation.

As for the DT cover of it, it'd be interseting to hear. I'm not that confident that they would have done it much justice, but hey anything's possible

Mike, you said it. DSoTM is a very controversial album. So it's normal that it gets positive feelings and negative feelings.
For my part, I like most of Pink Floyd works and rate 4 stars for DSoTM. I also like DT and would look forward with interest and curiosity about how they'd perform that album. It's an experiment, no-one should be offended. Some will praise it, some will bash it. Yin and Yang.

Music - as I said sowhere else - in the ends touches personal feelings. Sometimes we can put aside for a moment those feelings and take a deeper look at the technique (sounds used, composition, et cetera) with a clearer mind. But it's difficult. As I said, I respect opinions (btw, I'm 32) if they are motivated (sometimes motivation can only be I don't like it).

I don't thind DT playing PF is a sort of desecration. With this idea in mind, all the Classical concert would be a desecration, Vivaldi played by Von Karajan? Beethoven directed by Mazell? Crime! Crime! Does anyone of you know how it played exactly "pictures at an exhibition" as Mussorgskij composed it?

Let these things happen, they are what will keep prog alive. No one thinks abour playing again Britney Spears songs (well, songs is a sort of overestimation). Prog will be remembered, Br(T)it(s)ney Spears will just fade into oblivion.

Have a nice evening.
Semm che, semm che settā giō in del bar / a cercā l'universo nel bucčer del Cynar
cosmonauti al tavolino cun la sigareta in bųca / che vemm a cambiā el mund apena finissum la sambuca
DEzerov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 09:32

I hope they recorded it ... frankly, I'm getting a little bit frustrated hearing about DT playing The Number of the Beast, Master of Puppets and now Dark Side of the Moon ... I've been to three of their shows and they never even played ONE cover song.

The least they can do is to record and publish those shows so that the general public also get's to hear them.

When they opened for Yes on the 2004 tour we saw them perform Machine Messiah! It cooked!
The moon is made by some lame cooper and you can see the idiot has no idea about moons at all - Nikolay Gogol
Sharier View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 08:50
The last time I heard Dark Side of the Moon was 20 years ago-- after listening to it for more than 7-8 years. I never felt like picking that up again. While it was good, it lacks the depth-- let's say a repeated play do not bring out anything new after a few dozen listens. That's why Dark Side can become rapidly boring. Its just the opposite with Tales from Topographic Oceans which starts boring, and becomes a mind boggling super-hit with you upon repeated plays.
Dream Theater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 17:58

^ thank you for your opinion.

BTW: How old are you?

That explains everything, doesn't it?

I didn't mean to say that you're too young to know what you're saying.

The problem is: DSotM is a very controversial album. But there are enough people who think that it's a masterpiece. Many of these people are VERY experienced in prog. You are 16 years old ... I am 30 years old. Others are 20 years older than me, 34 years older than you. They were teenagers when that album was released. They have unique insights in the prog scene that you (or I) will never have. Many of them have witnessed Pink Floyd concerts (when the members of Pink Floyd were as young as current prog bands members are today).

Therefore it's foolish to say "DSotM is a bad album" ... you're not an authority, you don't decide that. The community here wrote many reviews of the album, and the result says: masterpiece.

Btw, I'm 16 too and DSotM is 1 of my favorites albums!
[IMG]http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Images/Travel_Article_Library/Sacred-Travel/Machu-Picchu-350.jpg"> [IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/panchopc1/machupicchu-1.jpg">
Erik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 14:10
Trust me, they have certainly done the album justice. Their performance was fantastic.
Reverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 07:22

I don't think any one insight is more valid than any other insight. There are no authorities but the person themself when it comes to music. The community does not decide how one person feels about an album. I understand what you're saying - that DSOTM is an influential and landmark album; that those who got to experience it at the time of its release have a unique view of it that those of us who were born well after just cannot have; and that such an album should be respected - but that does not diminish the value of our views of the album at all, it just gives us a different one. Taste is taste, no matter what the generation.

As for the DT cover of it, it'd be interseting to hear. I'm not that confident that they would have done it much justice, but hey anything's possible

Erik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 06:07
After reading a lot on these boards, my first post here.

Since I'm a huge Dream Theater fan and live in the Netherlands I went to both their concerts in Amsterdam (the tenth and eleventh of october). Both where great, but seeing them perform one of my favourite albums of all time accompanied by Theresa Thomason was great.

They did a really good job covering the album, hearing the song Money performed by DT was a personal highlight.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 16:56
Bumping to let everyone know that the trading community does have a copy of this, so it should be floating around the internet. If you keep an eye out it shouldn't be too hard. Also I think the official bootleg is released but it'd be illegal to download that so of course I don't recommend it
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 13:59
Follow the link I posted and wait for about six months...
Rayzl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 12:59

INCREDIBLE!!!!!! If by any chance somebody gets a bootleg or any type of media, please let me know...

I have never seen a Great Concert (except for Alan Parson, and Rata Blanca).... and I'd really love to see Dream performing DSOTM....

Open your mind....
BleedingGum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 11:37

^ thank you for your opinion.

BTW: How old are you?

That explains everything, doesn't it?

I didn't mean to say that you're too young to know what you're saying.

Well, I knew I'd stir up a  bit of controversy there, but I myself don't take anything I say seriously, so I don't think anyone should

You are right.. you have your own opinion on PF. I have no problem with that If some people get offended... then that's their problem, not yours.

Edited by BleedingGum
...this is called....BleedingGum ... !
Gabrielpenteado View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 02:16

Originally posted by Gabrielpenteado Gabrielpenteado wrote:

i canīt imagine a heavy metal band playing space rock

A "heavy metal band" ... I'm thinking of Black Sabbath when I read this.

BTW: Check out The Gathering ... a very good Space Metal band!

Never liked them hehehehehe

And DT has become Heavy metal since ToT, IMO of course, as everything else posted by everyone in this site
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>