Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSPORTS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: WHAT IS THE MOST POPULAR SPORT?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [54.55%]
5 [15.15%]
3 [9.09%]
2 [6.06%]
2 [6.06%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.03%]
1 [3.03%]
1 [3.03%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 14:02
Originally posted by S Lang S Lang wrote:

For the record, I have brown belt in judo, done tennis, fencing and finished 11th in the National Orienteering Run in Hungary, but I have no time/nor any interest of talking about sport on a music site! Beat it, please and find a site that is concerned with sports.

What a t**ser!
Wolf Spider View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 16:25
Soccer!

REEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL MMMMMMMMAAAADDDDDDDRRRIIIIDDDDDDDDDDD
RRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS SSSSSSSSS!
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 13:07

Originally posted by Wolf Spider Wolf Spider wrote:

Soccer!

REEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL MMMMMMMMAAAADDDDDDDRRRIIIIDDDDDDDDDDD
RRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS SSSSSSSSS!

whaT happened to this guy !!!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 14:01
Why? What`s wrong?
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 14:45

Originally posted by Wolf Spider Wolf Spider wrote:

Why? What`s wrong?

Ha, no no , its ok

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 16:10
ok then methinks
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 16:21

No Martial Arts?

I've trained Aikido for Almost 7 years now... And I'm not quiting!!

horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 16:28
I train in Aikido also

Football rules the world - not the kind where guys wear armour and trample each other - lets see them get the armour off and face up to some rugby guys from around the world

Edited by horza
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Lorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 18:23
Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

I train in Aikido also

Football rules the world - not the kind where guys wear armour and trample each other - lets see them get the armour off and face up to some rugby guys from around the world

Rugby...now that is a REAL sport!

I am fed up with American Sports!  It's is played by a bunch of overpaid criminals masquerading as role models.  Especially the Basketball players. 

Golf is the only honorable game left.  If you do not perform, you do not get paid.  Simple as that. 
Two heads are better than one, but if you want something done right, do it yourself.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but better safe than sorry.
Look before you leap, but he who hesitates is lost
Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 17:27

Ì love to watch Hockey and American Football. I like baseball too (in the playoffs). And I love to play every sports, soccer, tennis, hockey, it's great.

By the way, I don't know why you non-american (and canadian) people hates american football. Do you know the rules, or you just because it got the same name as your favorite sports? I don't know why it was called football, it has nothing similar with it. Well, I'm gonna ask a question, do you all know how the game works? I'm just curious...

Originally posted by Lorak Lorak wrote:

[QUOTE=horza]
Golf is the only honorable game left.  If you do not perform, you do not get paid.  Simple as that. 

Very true. unfortulatly, golf is boring...

Vive le Québec libre!...
Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 03:47
Originally posted by Borealis Borealis wrote:

By the way, I don't know why you non-american (and canadian) people hates american football. Do you know the rules, or you just because it got the same name as your favorite sports? I don't know why it was called football, it has nothing similar with it. Well, I'm gonna ask a question, do you all know how the game works? I'm just curious...

I think one of the reasons is that it plays such a big role in American TV and movies, and other sports don't get much of a mention.  There are other things about the sport that I don't like.  Why is it necessary for the players to wear all that protective gear?  Rugby players manage perfectly well with out.  And I why should there be separate sides for offence and defence?  I have no problem with teams being allowed to bring players on as substitutes, but the wholesale changes that appear to happen seem ridiculous to me.  I may be wrong about the last point, but then my knowledge of the game comes from what I've seen in movies or on TV (but it's probably more than the average American knows about cricket or rugby, two sports that are much more widely played than American football).
Be or be not. There is no question. - Yoda, Prince of Denmark
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 10:03
Football (proper football that is - or soccer as its known)

lSorry that's unfair because I know of many rugby players who enjoy and really respect American rules football. To the uninitiated though, the game doesn't flow as well and there is the (ill-conceived) notion that rugby players are "harder" beacuse they dont' wear protective gear (except a box maybe)...but then in rugby you can only legally make contact with the player with the ball.

However to those of us outside the US the idea of a World Series in anything that only involves one country is a bit ridiculous....

John Cleese was once asked on an American chat show what the difference was between Britain and America (a set-up question if ever there was one) and he said there were three things:

1. - in Britain we speak proper English (cheap shot!!)
2. - when you meet the head of the country in Britain - meaning the Queen - you only need go down on one knee (Clinton was President at the time, please say I don't have to explain this...)
3. - when we (British) hold a world sporting tournament we invite other countries....

It was all done in good humour ----but it was a barbed comment about sports.....

Of course if you are an  American you might want to point out about the medal tables at the Olympics.....
Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 16:39

American Football is a great strategic sport, but not much country becides the US, Canada and Mexico really know this game. And yes, most of us doesn't know how to play to cricket or rugby (what am I saying, no one know that...) And yes, It's stupid the role football in the american movies...

3. - when we (British) hold a world sporting tournament we invite other countries....

Good One... So true. You know, there's no canadian team in the National Football League. We have our own league here by the way, who's actually older than the NFL. American football was invented in Canada, by the way. The rules are sightly different, and the salary a lot lower (No one makes million here).

You can't really be with the US into a sport league. Canadian hockey struggle to survive in the NHL. So dumb. Half the players are canadian, and everyoe in the country are crazy about this sport, arena are always filled, but we still have problem because of the american money. Two had to be moved: Winnipeg went to Phoenix (?!) and Québec () to Colorado. Québec was a huge hockey city, but too small to keep on, so it had to be moved to Denver... This still upset me.

Vive le Québec libre!...
Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 03:27
Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

.but then in rugby you can only legally make contact with the player with the ball.

OK, that explains why the American football players have all the protective clothing, but surely being allowed to make contact with players without the ball isn't that great an idea?

Quote However to those of us outside the US the idea of a World Series in anything that only involves one country is a bit ridiculous....

It's called the Word Series because is was originally sponsored by a newspaper called the World, but you'd think they would have changed the name of the tournament when they realised the contradiction (unless they haven't realised it yet )

Quote Of course if you are an  American you might want to point out about the medal tables at the Olympics.....

The USA are actually the reigning Olympic rugby champions (although the last time rugby was part of the Olympics was 1928).
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 07:23
Originally posted by Citanul Citanul wrote:

.but then in rugby you can only legally make contact with the player with the ball.

OK, that explains why the American football players have all the protective clothing, but surely being allowed to make contact with players without the ball isn't that great an idea?

I don't know the detail rules but the basis of American rules football as I understand is you block your opponents (hence the physical contact) and make space for your quarterback to throw for another player to catch and score.

Quote However to those of us outside the US the idea of a World Series in anything that only involves one country is a bit ridiculous....

It's called the Word Series because is was originally sponsored by a newspaper called the World, but you'd think they would have changed the name of the tournament when they realised the contradiction (unless they haven't realised it yet )

Never knew that!

Quote Of course if you are an  American you might want to point out about the medal tables at the Olympics.....

The USA are actually the reigning Olympic rugby champions (although the last time rugby was part of the Olympics was 1928).

^^...and I can understand you being upset about moving Quebec to Colorado, so to speak...that's ridiculous.......
Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 07:31

Originally posted by Citanul Citanul wrote:

I don't know the detail rules but the basis of American rules football as I understand is you block your opponents (hence the physical contact) and make space for your quarterback to throw for another player to catch and score.

But do you really need protective clothing to stand in people's way?  Maybe it's an attempt to prevent lawsuits

[QUOTE]
^^...and I can understand you being upset about moving Quebec to Colorado, so to speak...that's ridiculous.......

I think it's happened to other teams in other sports, but I also find it completely ridiculous.  Imagine Manchester United moving to London (although that might be a bad example - their are probably more United fan in London than in Manchester ).
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 08:28
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

NOBODY LIKES SPORTS??

I don't.

Me neither!!

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 08:50
1st swimmer!
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 11:57
When you ask "WHAT IS THE MOST POPULAR SPORT?" I think you're refering to what most people enjoy and that would be soccer I'm afraid. I personally don't care much for soccer for it's an annoyingly boring game unless you have teams from a) South America or b) Africa on the field, who play a) wonderfully technical and surprising soccer and b) give everything they got, even if they're way behind in goals (ok, and sometimes British or Spanish teams).
I'd prefer to watch games like (ice) hockey or basketball, but unfortunately at least here in Germany they tend to show soccer games even from the lower leagues an telly and bore us to death with Champions League, league cup or the national team (although I think Juergen Klinsmann does a good job in bringing fresh blood to the team).
Hello to Eetu as 1st swimmer, hopefully we'll be able to welcome the 1st rider pretty soon!

"We've got to get in to get out"
BeticoVnz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 22:10
Soccer! Musho Betis eh eh!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12