Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Twice Around the Sun by Ugly.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twice Around the Sun by Ugly.
    Posted: May 05 2024 at 03:24
Excellent album inspired by Gentle Giant but with a very modern and fresh approach influenced by the likes of Black Country, New Road; HMLTD and even Wobbler. 

The first track is, in my opinion, a modern classic already. The whole thing is over Soundcloud:

I personally like it a lot and I think you may enjoy it. 

For my tastes, this represent an excellent marriage of the retro influences of prog with the new sensibilities of indie and post-rock that have been dominating the scene in the last few years. 

Very fun and very interesting, let me know what you think about it. 

Edited by edefakiel - May 05 2024 at 03:27
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2024 at 07:04
Originally posted by edefakiel edefakiel wrote:

Excellent album inspired by Gentle Giant but with a very modern and fresh approach influenced by the likes of Black Country, New Road; HMLTD and even Wobbler. 
The first track is, in my opinion, a modern classic already. The whole thing is over Soundcloud:

For my tastes, this represent an excellent marriage of the retro influences of prog with the new sensibilities of indie and post-rock that have been dominating the scene in the last few years. 

Hi,

Enjoyed it for a small period of time, until the website interrupted the music piece with a commercial. I'm done. No respect for the artistry is a very scary thing, and it merely suggests, the website benefits, and the band? ... sort of who cares?

Somewhere along the way we have to stand up against this commercial thing ... and help the bands more ... but just like the rudetoob, the interruptions is the American way of saying ... I don't care!

I'm not sure that helps the music ... and a lot of good/great things get wasted. I like the "trip" ... not the idea of the "trip".
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2024 at 09:37
People want it ALL for free AND ad-free.

I see it's not in PA yet, and the band has released two EPs so far.

Some other links of potential interest:

Not given it all a proper spin,  although it feels rather too derivative for me. I prefer the music of Black Country, New Road  for instance (the vocalist for BC,NR could be very grating to many). 

The Wheel of course starts off in GG familiar "On Reflection"  territory (which seems a little precious to me). and then goes more BC,NR.  Big moments.  The second {Edit, I mean third} track," Icy Windy Sky" is my favourite.  It's not a cohesive EP, sounds more like a collection of songs, and the first two {edit:, I mean first and third track}  have been the highlights for me.  Very promising band and definitely musically goes very much up my alley.

Edited by Logan - May 06 2024 at 11:56
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2024 at 15:15
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Hi,

I don't mind paying for it, although I would prefer that the idea "checking things out" give the music a chance.

The sad part of it, is breaking things up in 4 minute segments ... I guess it's all rock'n'roll! Cry

BTW, my point had nothing to do with my paying for it or not ... it had to do with the presentation of the work itself ... and how a lot of new works get given introductions that make them sound like pop music, and just another hit like piece of music. The sad point is that the band loses a side of its work that is not being presented correctly.

Edited by moshkito - May 07 2024 at 15:06
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2024 at 15:38
^ Why don't you pay for it then? It seems like you do mind paying for it after all.

I'm paying for Spotify, which gives me access to many releases (including this one). Between Spotify and Bandcamp I can listen to like 99% of all new releases without any interruptions and ads.
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2024 at 09:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I see it's not in PA yet, and the band has released two EPs so far.

Some other links of potential interest:

Not given it all a proper spin,  although it feels rather too derivative for me. I prefer the music of Black Country, New Road  for instance (the vocalist for BC,NR could be very grating to many). 

The Wheel of course starts off in GG familiar "On Reflection"  territory (which seems a little precious to me). and then goes more BC,NR.  Big moments.  The second {Edit, I mean third} track," Icy Windy Sky" is my favourite.  It's not a cohesive EP, sounds more like a collection of songs, and the first two {edit:, I mean first and third track}  have been the highlights for me.  Very promising band and definitely musically goes very much up my alley.

I agree with everything you said. It is not cohesive, but I was delighted with the best moments of the EP. Which are also the first and third track, in my opinion. 

Harbour Century by Eunuchs is another recent release in the vein of black midi; BC,NR; etc., that I have enjoyed a lot. 
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2024 at 11:11
I've been listening to it and enjoying it, but is it actually inspired by Gentle Giant or does it just have the common factor of the vocal interplay (which GG didn't invent, even if they are well known for it here?). I got the sense they just happened to have that in their sound too more than it being a direct inspiration. But I know very little about these guys, just stumbled on them and thought they sounded good.
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2024 at 15:24
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

I've been listening to it and enjoying it, but is it actually inspired by Gentle Giant or does it just have the common factor of the vocal interplay (which GG didn't invent, even if they are well known for it here?). I got the sense they just happened to have that in their sound too more than it being a direct inspiration. But I know very little about these guys, just stumbled on them and thought they sounded good.

I assumed that they were inspired by Gentle Giant, but I have no relationship with the band whatsoever, so I don't know if the similarities are due to influence or convergence. 
 Post Reply Post Reply