Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtheist Albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atheist Albums
    Posted: October 20 2005 at 16:12

I heard a lot about the Band Atheist and the Album Unquestionable Presence is this or any other of their albums currently available.

I have heard they are in a similar vein to CYNIC

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 16:59
Not terribly like Cynic, but still well worth checking out. They're a fair bit heavier. www.grau.cd stocks all Atheist (I think the box set contains all their albums plus a demo).
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 17:04

Elements and Unquestionable Presence have ben re-released recently ... don't buy any ridiculously priced original pressings.

I recommend you start with Elements, the re-release contains some brilliant live recordings.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 18:02
Does 14€ sound like normal European prices? About half what it'd be here, no doubt
antibiotic View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 02:12
Originally posted by QUATERMASS QUATERMASS wrote:

I heard a lot about the Band Atheist and the Album Unquestionable Presence is this or any other of their albums currently available.

I have heard they are in a similar vein to CYNIC

They're not really like Cynic at all. Totally different sound.

I'd agree in starting with Elements. It's their most accessible work.

Aside from Unquestionable and Elements they had an album called Piece Of Time, which was their debut and the only album with Roger Patterson (phenomenal bassist that died in an accident.)

There isn't really another band that sounds like Atheist. But from that era of US death metal Nocturnus (first two albums) might be of interest to you as well. Though, they are heavier still.
QUATERMASS View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 14:27

I have two Nocturnus Albums, The Key Is pretty good, as you said thoug they are alot heavier than Cynic.

If Atheist fall in between the two then I think I should like them. Perhaps they sound a little similar to the Death album Human

theprogfather View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 19:13

To the best of my knowledge,atheist & cynic once shared the same bassist (Tony Choy) or was he also in Pestilence?In my opinion cynic & athiest have a similar concept but,an entirely different sound.They're both very musical & incorporate use of rudiments & time signatures with great perfection but,it ends there.As for atheist recomendations,you can't go wrong with "piece of time" or "unquestionable presence".I've also heard a few songs of "elements" which,contrary to what I said in regards to the differences between atheist & cynic,would be probabily the closest they've come to sounding like cynic.Maybe it's the vocals or the way it's been produced?!?!

Ex-Atheist drummer Steve Flynn has a new project which can be heard at:

www.myspace.com/gnosticmusic

Personally I don't think it compares to atheist but,don't let what I said put you off.Visit the link & decide for yourself.Other bands you may want to discover (if you ain't already),of a similar style include:Death,Control Denied & Pestilence.

Edited by theprogfather
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 19:34
Pretty well summed up there, progfather. It's worth pointing out too that nearly all of the early tech/extreme metal bands shared members a lot, and they continue to work with lots of bands today.
antibiotic View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 20:22
Originally posted by theprogfather theprogfather wrote:

To the best of my knowledge,atheist & cynic once shared the same bassist (Tony Choy) or was he also in Pestilence?In my opinion cynic & athiest have a similar concept but,an entirely different sound.They're both very musical & incorporate use of rudiments & time signatures with great perfection but,it ends there.As for atheist recomendations,you can't go wrong with "piece of time" or "unquestionable presence".I've also heard a few songs of "elements" which,contrary to what I said in regards to the differences between atheist & cynic,would be probabily the closest they've come to sounding like cynic.Maybe it's the vocals or the way it's been produced?!?!

Ex-Atheist drummer Steve Flynn has a new project which can be heard at:

www.myspace.com/gnosticmusic

Personally I don't think it compares to atheist but,don't let what I said put you off.Visit the link & decide for yourself.Other bands you may want to discover (if you ain't already),of a similar style include:Death,Control Denied & Pestilence.

Yep, Choy played in Pestilence as well (Pestilence actually stole him from Atheist, they had some ill feelings between the bands at the time. Atheist guys weren't very happy.) Testimony Of The Ancients (Pestilence) could make an interesting listen to anyone interested in prog metal of that time. It leans more on the thrash side of things though. There's some excellent pseudo emotional leads on that album. Makes me think: "Melrose Place Metal" It's great.
mrbungle140 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2005 at 12:37
was it not sean malone that played with cynic ?????????
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2005 at 12:47

Originally posted by mrbungle140 mrbungle140 wrote:

Yes he was the bassist alright.

Paul Masvidal
vocals/guitars   (see also Master, Death)
Jason Gobel
guitars  
Sean Malone
bass   (see also Aghora)
Sean Reinert
drums   (see also Aghora, Death)

taken from www.bnrmetal.com a great metal website
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2005 at 15:48
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by mrbungle140 mrbungle140 wrote:

Yes he was the bassist alright.

<TABLE borderColor=#0000ff rules=none width="90%" bgColor=#cccccc borderColorLight=#0000ff background=../images/page_bg.jpg border=2>
<T>
<TR>
<TD width="40%">
<DIV =Member>Paul Masvidal</TD>
<TD>vocals/guitars   (see also <A class=Group href="http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/mstr.htm">Master</A>, <A class=Group href="http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/deat.htm">Death</A>) </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD width="40%">
<DIV =Member>Jason Gobel</TD>
<TD>guitars   </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD width="40%">
<DIV =Member>Sean Malone</TD>
<TD>bass   (see also <A class=Group href="http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/agho.htm">Aghora</A>) </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD width="40%">
<DIV =Member>Sean Reinert</TD>
<TD>drums   (see also <A class=Group href="http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/agho.htm">Aghora</A>, <A class=Group href="http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/deat.htm">Death</A>) </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

taken from www.bnrmetal.com a great metal website

Former/past member(s)     
Bass:
Mark Van Erp (1987-1989) (Monstrosity (US))
Tony Choy (1989-1993) (ex-Pestilence, ex-Atheist, Area 305)
Chris Kringel ('93 tour)

Taken from www.metal-archives.com, a bigger metal website   . If anyone's after a few live shows or demos by Cynic, I have a few, although only in 192k MP3. NB to admins: these are uncopyrighted
 Post Reply Post Reply