Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Define prog elite, please.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDefine prog elite, please.

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: August 31 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2530
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Define prog elite, please.
    Posted: October 21 2005 at 11:33
Originally posted by rockandrail

In mathematics, an elite is a small number of data. Since "small" depend on the size of the original sample, supposing that the sample could be mankind, the prog elite is composed of all people posting in Prog archives.



yeah WE are the prog elite ...... oh and Snow Dog as well
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Back to Top
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Symphonic Prog Specialist

Joined: April 27 2004
Location: Peru
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17694
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 12:45

Sorry for the lenght of this post, but I have been quoted by DEzerov with bad intentions, because this is not my responsabilty.

If you want to quote me DEzerov, do it, but completely in context not as if I was a stupid snob, I always stand on what I say and will always do, but you're trying to justify your anger because we had a civilized disagreement abiut Genesis, so there it goes:

1.- The term Prog Elite was mentioned for the first time in this post on October 20 2005 at 03:50 by RUSSELK 

Russelk Wrote:

Good on you, Snowy. Later Genesis is (mostly) good music in my opinion.
Just different. Hilarious that the prog-elite that infest this site can't help but
express their disappointment that Genesis let them down, and they try to
nail Phil Collins, as though the other two band members had nothing to do
with it. Get a grip, lads. Your opinions are only opinions. You can't actually
enforce them, no matter how many times you restate them (Ivan).

All Genesis albums are uneven, because they tried things out. Actually, the
most formulaic period in Genesis' development, to my ear, was the Nursery
Cryme-Foxtrot-Selling triumvurate. Great records, same formula. I'll carry
on in my ignorance, enjoying Duke, Abacab and We Can't Dance.

Ok, so some members who dislike late Genesis were called "Prog elite" by Russell as if we were some kind of virus or plague that infests this site. I consider this post offensive,

From Merrian Webster Dictionary:

INFEST: 1 : to spread or swarm in or over in a troublesome manner <a slum infested with crime> <shark-infested waters>
2 : to live in or on as a parasite

so I replied instead of answering with any offense (As I believe many people will do), I answered in a civilized way on October 20 2005 at 20:49 this is one day after Russelk's post:

I wrote:

Russelk wrote:

Quote:
Hilarious that the prog-elite that infest this site can't help but
express their disappointment that Genesis let them down, and they try to
nail Phil Collins, as though the other two band members had nothing to do
with it. Get a grip, lads.

What is really funny is that you are amazed to find the so called "Prog' elite" in a place named Prog Archives, what you wanted to find here Britney fans?

This site was created by the Prog elite and for the Prog elite, if you don't want to find so many Prog snobs, you may go to the Backstreet Boys fan club or The Phil Collins Paradise.

Iván 

If you look at my reply I say "SO CALLED PROG ELITE", this is a  reply to an offensive post by Russelk, I never said anything offensive or replied with an insult, I just was sarcastic because I place two words before Prog Elite (A term that Russelk used one day before to attack me directly because he mentions my name directly as if I was a germ or a plague) and this words were SO CALLED.

But DEzerov not only doesn't mentions Russelk's post but he mutilates mine to make people believe I am a stupid snob that consider myself part of an elite:

DEzerov wrote:

ivan_2068 wrote:

What is really funny is that you are amazed to find the so called "Prog' elite" in a place named Prog Archives, what you wanted to find here Britney fans?

This site was created by the Prog elite and for the Prog elite, if you don't want to find so many Prog snobs, you may go to the Backstreet Boys fan club or The Phil Collins Paradise.

Iván

I have a question. Can someone give me an authoratative definition of "prog elite?"

And... maybe someone can tell me if I am fortunate enough to qualify for such a title.

I shall list a few of my holdings, recant a few shows that I've seen, and define genres of non-prog music that I find most offensive......This should be a good starting point to determine how "prog-elite" I am.

So please, if you are going to quote me DEzerov, do it, I always stand for what I say, but never do it out of context mutilating posts to make me look a stupid and make fun out of me.

I like intelligent discussions, I can debate with you whenever you want, but again don't take things out of context, this proves how weak your arguments are.

If you have some traumas or you feel that you deserve to be a collaborator as you say later:

DEzerov wrote:

How can I be prog elite if i'm not a collaborator?

Then call the administrators and ask for this, but don't blame me for what I never said.

Iván



Edited by ivan_2068
Back to Top
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 28 2005
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1383
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 12:55

It's no great achievemnet. Someone who can be classified as "Prog elite", I suppose, is someone who is deeply into prog, has been listening to it for many years, collects the music of various prog genres, reads about prog, knows how to discuss the genre intelligently with others of like mind.

If you don't fit this definition, no big deal. But a lot of members of this website do (no surprise).

I came, I saw, I progged.

"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Back to Top
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Symphonic Prog Specialist

Joined: April 27 2004
Location: Peru
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17694
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 14:00
Originally posted by bluetailfly

It's no great achievemnet. Someone who can be classified as "Prog elite", I suppose, is someone who is deeply into prog, has been listening to it for many years, collects the music of various prog genres, reads about prog, knows how to discuss the genre intelligently with others of like mind.

If you don't fit this definition, no big deal. But a lot of members of this website do (no surprise).

I came, I saw, I progged.

You're right Bluetailfly, we're all an elite because we represent only a small percentage of the music listening population, not more than 5% in the best of the cases, but we all know that's not what DEzerov tried to say.

Dezerov was talking about elitism,  as I suposedly said seems that we feel the best or the most intelligent listeners. Nothing can be so far from reality, all my family (except ,my mother) and 90% of my closest friends hate Prog' or can't understand it, and I believe most of them are very intelligent people.

Dezerov's post caused agressive reactions in normally calmed members as MikeEnRegalia who said:

MikeEnRegalia wrote:

it doesn't matter which albums you have or what shows you've been to. Just be ignorant and make fun of the music that you don't know or don't like, and soon people will deem you worthy of the title "prog elite".

And I don't blame Mike, because anybody who auto proclaims himself as an elite could be considered a snob (depending of the way in which you understand elite).

Thanks God some members noticed what Dezerov did like:

Bob Greece wrote:

You're definitely prog elite but with Ivan's quote taken out of the context of the rest of the thread, it's difficult to work out what it was all about.

So it's obvious what happened.

In almost two years I am here I had strong but civilized discussions with many members including some of my best virtual friends as Peter or Easy Livin, and everybody is wittness that I never offended anybody.

I can be stubborn (Well I am), I can consider Prog' as the best Rock genre (And I do), but never considered less intelligent any person that doesn't have the same musica taste that I have, because I would be offending my father, my sister and my girlfriend, all of them dislike Prog'.

Asa fact if you read my posts I encourage people to have different tastes, I always said that a forum is a place for discussion and how in hell can you have an intelligent discussion with people who think exactly as you? If anybody wants to be with people who like exactly what you like, there are a lot of fan clubs, but a Forum is a place to discuss (of course with respect).

That's all folks.

Iván

 



Edited by ivan_2068
Back to Top
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: April 22 2005
Location: Germany
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17173
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 14:12
Originally posted by ivan_2068

Dezerov's post caused agressive reactions in normally calmed members as MikeEnRegalia who said:

MikeEnRegalia wrote:

it doesn't matter which albums you have or what shows you've been to. Just be ignorant and make fun of the music that you don't know or don't like, and soon people will deem you worthy of the title "prog elite".

And I don't blame Mike, because anybody who auto proclaims himself as an elite could be considered a snob (depending of the way in which you understand elite).

I'm pretty sure that Dezerov's post was meant ironically, just as mine. Let's not over-dramatize this situation.

Edit: I can understand why you're upset though ... being quoted out of context. Still, it is not that big a deal IMO.

Edit2: Just in case that you were wondering: My statement marked in red was not directed at anyone in particular ... surely not you, I hadn't even noticed whom Dezerov was quoting.



Edited by MikeEnRegalia
Back to Top
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors & Omissions Team

Joined: March 23 2005
Location: Caerdydd
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 32925
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 14:25
Nor I.......I thought the wholething was intended to be rather humourus. It doesn't seem an offensive quote to me, but then again, it wsn't me being quoted!
Coldness doth get away with the badness.
Back to Top
DEzerov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 17 2005
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 340
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 14:38
Guilty party here................

It was meant to be viewed as tongue in cheek. If folks are offended, I'm sorry. If you enjoyed it, I'll buy you a beer sometime..........

Sometimes the whole Genesis debate becomes so cyclical and monotonous, that it needs a little....er twist.........

I really wish to God that Steve and Peter had never left the band and that John had never met Yoko and Neal Morse hadn't switched over to CCM and that Cass Elliott had shared her ham sandwich with Karen Carpenter.

Once again sorry to the appropriate party(ies) and thanks to those have supported me though these trying times.
The moon is made by some lame cooper and you can see the idiot has no idea about moons at all - Nikolay Gogol
Back to Top
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Symphonic Prog Specialist

Joined: April 27 2004
Location: Peru
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17694
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 15:00

You owe me a beer DEzerov, but please not USA beer, it too soft.

Iván

Edit: Mike, I said I don't blame you, DEzerov, I don't believe you were offensive (never said it), but I was quoted out of context, I just recieved your PM and I get your point.

But the post that started this was offensive, because saying that we infest this site is like calling us a plague.

Things like this are part of a forum, but still I WANT MY BEER.

Iván



Edited by ivan_2068
Back to Top
DEzerov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 17 2005
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 340
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 15:05
Originally posted by ivan_2068

You owe me a beer DEzerov, but please not USA beer, it too soft.

Iván




One Cusqueña coming up, Amigo!
The moon is made by some lame cooper and you can see the idiot has no idea about moons at all - Nikolay Gogol
Back to Top
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Symphonic Prog Specialist

Joined: April 27 2004
Location: Peru
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17694
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 15:08

Holy sh!t, you know about good and strong beer.

I regret all I said, anybody who likes Cuzqueña can't be bad

Iván

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.69
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz

This page was generated in 0.188 seconds.