Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Video & PC Game Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 243>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 18:00

Ive been at uni for about a month now and im rearly missing the PS2 that i had to share with my brother (only way i could get one at the time) and have had to leave at home.

I do have my new PC though and i cant get enough of GTR-FIA GT sim racing.

PS3 is going to be fantastic when it comes out next year (better than Xbox 360) and MGS4 is going to blow all games into the weeds!

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 18:04
Video games sucks. The world is a playground, sitting infront of the TV is missing all the fun
stinkfist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkfist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 19:47

true
and still
i doubt anyone on this site does that
so i guess you're kinda preachin to the choir

how can this mean anything to me?
when i really dont feel a thing at all
ColonelClaypool View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColonelClaypool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 20:27

World of Warcraft.

A golden oldie that I'm currently playing: Betrayal at Krondor (Based on Raymond E. Feist's book, one of the best RPG's ever made imo)

Other games I play: Football Manager 2005 and Rome: Total War.
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 20:33
Originally posted by stebo32 stebo32 wrote:

Video games sucks. The world is a playground, sitting infront of the TV is missing all the fun

no reason you can't have both...is someone forcing you to choose one or the other?
Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantômas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 22:05
BTW, I have a stupid question! Here in Brazil, when a PS2 can play... "alternative" games (I don't know how you call the fake games, here we call PIRATES), we say it is "unblocked". And in the USA? Anyone knows?
And above all, is punk
Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantômas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 22:06

Sitting in front of the computer ain't?
And above all, is punk
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Miracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 22:18

I agree

*goes in the bomb shelter, locks the door*

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 22:41

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

PS3 is going to be fantastic when it comes out next year (better than Xbox 360) and MGS4 is going to blow all games into the weeds!

You're right, but I learned my lesson with the current-gen consoles. I'm not going to stick to oly one or two systems, because excellent games will come out exclusively for one console (like MGS4 for PS3 and Oblivion and Halo 3 for the X360) and I'll be pissed if I don't get to play them. So, I'm getting the XBOX360, the PS3 and the Revolution.

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 22:43
I barely play video games anymore, the only game I play is Nightfire nowadays since I'm way too busy with instruments, school, music, etc.
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsillus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 22:44

I picked up these two games called Spliter Cell and the other one's a sequel- Pandora Tomorrow. I had never heard of them previously but these games rock.

Damen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 22:44

Originally posted by Fantômas Fantômas wrote:

BTW, I have a stupid question! Here in Brazil, when a PS2 can play... "alternative" games (I don't know how you call the fake games, here we call PIRATES), we say it is "unblocked". And in the USA? Anyone knows?

I call them money makers, as I seem to get a bit of money from dubbing video games and movies. 

"It's amazing that we've been able to put up with each other for 35 years. Most marriages don't last that long these days."

-Chris Squire
Wolf Spider View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolf Spider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 03:09
I`m addicted to championship Manager 4
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 04:20
Just got a free copy of F.E.A.R. today...anybody try that one yet? Pretty intense so far...like Half-Life with some Fatal Frame mixed in.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eetu Pellonpaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 06:53

That's a great game! I'm much into retrogaming, and I collect old Commodore computers and related (how sexy). Here's a link, where you can get Jet Set Willy on your PC!

http://retrospec.sgn.net/game-overview.php?link=jsw

There's aslo some other fun games in Retrospec's site!

With PC I'm a bit hooked to Civilization III.  I buyed it's "Conquest" expansion pack, and I do some scenarios with it. I'm much into editors! Here's the current situation:

JrKASperov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JrKASperov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 07:08
I'm an elite gamer myself, so I have this list I want to post:

First, I started gaming on the C64, with classics like Wizball, Boulderdash, Flimbo's Quest and all kinds of tekst adventures. Being the little twirp that I was, i didn't get pretty far with those, but I did like the athmosphere those games created.

Next, we got a nintendo 8 bit. I had about 15 cartridges for that in the end, and I was an absolute master at all the MegaMan games. I still love those, and am thankful that I could download a SNES emulator for the even better MegaMan X! I also played some old fashioned Castlevania(didnt get far), Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles 2, BattleToads (great humor), Shadowgate (love it!!), Swords n' Serpents in FRENCH(I had to ask my dad what the npc's were saying, really confusing), Gargoyle's Quest II, Battle of Olympos, Mario I, II&III, Jungle Book and the most fun I had was with Wizards&Warriors III.

Then I moved on to more conventional ground, on the first Pentium pc's. I started off asking my brother once a week if I could play on his, he was the only one to have one. I played Duke Nukem 3D at first, enamoured with the athmosphere the game had to me then. Unfortunately that was only a shareware version, but I liked that one a lot.

When finally my father bought a pc, it all started. I got into Starcraft(still the best RTS ever), Doom II, and all kinds of DOS games. My brother bought Baldur's Gate, but we didnt get to playing(or even understanding) it until a year after. Then, I realized how much that was the game I had been searching for my entire life! It was simply awesome. Creating your own character, walking around with having your 'father' killed. Figuring out what to do. Exploring the vast richness of the world that was the Sword Coast and when we finally got to Baldur's Gate itself...WOW. That was an awesome experience! Also in between i played a bit of the Daggerfall demo, which wanted me to play more, because Daggerfall is simply my favourite ever. But more on that later, because i didn't get to play it yet.

This lasted for quite a while as my father didnt have enough money to upgrade our pc. So I had to play classics for a long while, while watching my friends playing these really cool games. Finally, my dad had this workoffer deal, and we got ourselves a nice pentium III. Coincedentally, that's when Baldur's Gate II got out. So I went out the first day and bought it. I installed it right away and boy... I was blown away. This game was even BETTER than the first! Dual wielding, more levels, more loot, a just as nice world, but more exotic places. A really really nice story, rivaling the first. And that's when my BGII period started. I played this game 20+ times with different characters, trying all kinds of things out, including all-elf party's, soloing with the dreaded kensai-mage and walking around slaying everything with the über powerful berserker/cleric. It took me 3.5 years to get bored with this game. But now i haven't played it really for a year or so, simply because I know everything that's going to happen.

So then i went searching for other games. And I got into a group of NeverwinterNights online players. We made the BG world in the NWN engine, and went playing with a group of about 10 people. It was quite fun, but i wasn't a good roleplayer by that time, so I didnt have as much fun with it as I could have. In the meantime, I found Daggerfall!! So that got me hooked. The immense size of the world you could freely roam in. The openendedness of everything, the intruige, the lore, the guilds, the random quests and dungeons... All of it is what i want in a game. And if I had a pc with DOS available, i would still play this game. (DF is a bit too graphics heavy to be playable with DOSbox, which uses your CPU as a VGA emulator, costing a BIG amount of resources)

Daggerfall got me craving for more Elder Scrolls, and what did you know, Morrowind was available. So I got that one. When I started it, and got out of the boat, I was awestruck, just like everyone else. Those buildings were so beautiful! That water was amazing! And all those people wandering about! All the houses! All the items you could pick up and put down lying on tables and all that realistically! Not to mention the abundant amount of lore, intruiging stories, the main quest, adventuring.

But eventually, the generic npc's and segmented bodies together with the fact that I had played it for a long time killed my interest. So that's where we are about now. Only that I discovered the Fallout series. With just as much excitement and everything that BG had. Only in a different setting.

Aside from this, I've played numerous games, Nox, Command&Conquer, Tiberian Sun, both Red Alerts, Age of Empires, Krush Kill 'n Destroy, both Icewind Dale games, Battlefield 1942(currently), GTA I, GTA London, GTA II, GTA: VC, Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Yoda Stories, Knights of the Old Republic, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003, Worms 2, all kinds of SNES (on emulator) and some Civilization.

Concluding, I want to recommend some games that you HAVE to try if you can get them, because they are simply the best:
Starcraft &Brood War
Daggerfall
Baldur's Gate
FalloutI&II

And ofcourse be looking for the new and upcoming Elder Scrolls title; Oblivion, because it's going to be very nice!
Epic.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 08:16

With PC I'm a bit hooked to Civilization III.  I buyed it's "Conquest" expansion pack, and I do some scenarios with it. I'm much into editors! Here's the current situation:

[/QUOTE]

You luky so and so! I got that game free with my old PC but the disc it was on stoped working so that i couldent load it onto my new PC. its a fantastic game that just seems to eat your time, best played when listening to Prog

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 08:31
Originally posted by Arsillus Arsillus wrote:

I picked up these two games called Spliter Cell and the other one's a sequel- Pandora Tomorrow. I had never heard of them previously but these games rock.

.........excellent games

Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantômas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 12:19
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

That's a great game! I'm much into retrogaming, and I collect old Commodore computers and related (how sexy). Here's a link, where you can get Jet Set Willy on your PC!

http://retrospec.sgn.net/game-overview.php?link=jsw

There's aslo some other fun games in Retrospec's site!

Yeah! This is a wonderful game. I heard that it's impossible to finish the game, because of a bizarre bug. I wonder if it's true, I never really managed to get so far to see...

Oh, and thanks for the link...

Edited by Fantômas
And above all, is punk
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 20:46
my best games:

and

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 243>