Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIan Gillan Band = Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ian Gillan Band = Prog?
    Posted: October 26 2005 at 18:28
If Deep Purple can get in the Archives then so should the Ian Gillan Band (1975-77 version) as they were far more prog IMO, although not necessarily a better band of course!

Clear Air Turbulence is basically a prog/fusion album while the second side of Child in Time has an excellent jazzy version of the famous title track and Let it Slide is 11 minutes of wonderfully spacey prog rock.

Their third album Scarabus features less adventurous material and is more questionable, but two albums out of three ain't bad and it's a better strike rate than Purple (and probably equal to the Genesis 'prog album percentage' for that matter). At the very least they should go in the prog-related section.

Even Ian's subsequent band Gillan, which is basically hard rock a la Purple, did quite a few proggy numbers - Born to Kill, Abbey of Thelema, On The Rocks, Second Sight and Demon Driver among them.

Anyway, I'd be interested to see if anyone agrees about IGB.
"It's 1973, almost dinnertime and I'm 'aving 'oops!" - Gene Hunt
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 00:36

Originally posted by Drachen Theaker Drachen Theaker wrote:

Clear Air Turbulence is basically a prog/fusion album

I do agree with this, but it's one album I've enjoyed less as time as gone on ... the other Gillan solo stuff I've heard ... Scarabus, Cherkazoo, Dreamcatcher, Toolbox and an awful one with Glover ... don't come close ...

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 11:16
I haven't heard that album for a while, but yeah I seem to remember that it was a pretty jazzy album. I love the Gillan album 'Glory Road' though, and there are some proggy moments, mainly the stunning keyboard solos of Colin Towns and the guitar work of John McCoy. On the whole though, Gillan's stuff is even more blues rock based than Deep Purple were...I'm not 100% against their inclusion but I think other bands could be added first.
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 11:44
Wasn't he in Monty Python? You know, the American guy, who did the animated work?
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 07:32

I'd rather not he be included; he did sing in the rock opera JC Superstar (he was Jesus) , but that is not enough for inclusion;

Even in the late 70's when I was actively searching for all Purple offshoots I never liked his solo albums! I hadGlory Road and Scarabus ( I think this one is incredibly rare now) and they sounded like sub-par hard rock. Rainbow and Whitesnake , yes but Gillan , no thanks!!

I never heard of the CAT fusion album, though

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 08:04
Yes
S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 04:04

Sadly, I didn't come across CAT - I would have enjoyed the jazzy approach reported by others. I can only say here that Gillan has a sensational voice and I'd be happy to see him included regardless of criteria - applied very losely at times...!Ouch

I'd rate him as one of the best singers along with Paul Rodgers and Gilmour. Sorry, I am not a Gabriel fan though. So, if Gillan has no room here, than many others could be removed - pronto...?

He sang Jesus and he sang it well, I couldn't think of anyone who would have made that appropriate impact back then. He sang well too when I last saw Purple and his down to earth approach to the audience was a pleasant change - from a "superstar". He earned my respect on the human level too, along with his contribution to music. To Gillan? Yes, please!

PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2005 at 04:38
Hmmm, I also have had IAN GILLAN on my mind as well, some of his work may be classified PROG or PROG RELATED.
CYMRU AM BYTH
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2005 at 05:02
IGB was about a thousand times more prog than Purple. Writing this started Five Moons running through my head- now I'll have to put something else on to get it out.
Drachen Theaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2005 at 15:24
Interesting to read people's differing views.

I only think the Ian Gillan Band 1975-77 version should be included in the Archives (ie the one that featured Ray Fenwick, Mark Nauseef etc), not the later 'Gillan' band (with Mick Underwood, John McCoy) which was more hard rock-oriented (though still proggier than Whitesnake, Sean!).

Albums such as Child in Time (which I like) and Clear Air Turbulence (not so fond of) are much closer to prog than just about anything in Purple's canon, bar Concerto for Group and Orchestra.

And talking of DP spin-offs, Jon Lord's solo stuff should definitely be on here as well - he's done more 'prog' albums than Ian Gillan!

"It's 1973, almost dinnertime and I'm 'aving 'oops!" - Gene Hunt
Pafnutij View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2005 at 05:11
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 Post Reply Post Reply