FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedjust saw OHM live

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: just saw OHM live
    Posted: October 28 2005 at 06:54

Had to share the experience before it wore off and I wake up in the real world, where hip hop rules the air waves and garage rock is considered "genius"... I just posted this on the Ohm forum at http://forums.chrispoland.com/index.php, but wanted to share it here for any who may benefit.

This was only my third "Ohm Experience" (the first being back in 99 with David Eagle) so I thought the intensity that seemed to permeate the atmosphere was just my own mind being set ablaze. But I have to say, this was the most gut felt I've ever heard Chris. He was in rare form, and hit some peaks that made me hold my breath. There is no one alive that can pull off that kind of technical mastery, yet still channel it through his heart and soul like a flood of raw emotion.... something really special...

Pag was cracking me up, and never fails to blow my mind with the ability to be so insanely intense yet surgically precise. I mean... it's a fretless for crying out loud... there has to be precious little room for error... but he feels his way through like it was born on his torso. Kofi was also fantastic... I'm just less acquainted with drums and unable to convey exactly what makes him so special. But I think they sound better than they ever have, and I'm aware that he is a major part of the gel that is holding them tight.

I stayed for both sets, and enjoyed them playing Photograph, Iguana, a killer version of Cream's Crossroads and several others... a lot of Pag's soulful vocals and a loose, free and powerful vibe throughout.

There is nothing like Ohm anywhere... plenty of great and incredible musicians, but nowhere have I found a group perform together with that potent a blend of intensity, soul and precision. Talking with the guys afterward, I think it became a little clearer as to why this is. There is a refreshing lack of ego among them. They are down to earth and happy with what they are doing, therefore they can divide the time and cut the fat, offering only their best, without so much of the "filler" you find with other virtuoso acts. With all due respect to Chris, can you imagine if Ohm just backed him up while he did 10 minute solos? This is what the majority of Jazz Fusion succumbs to, and it is what makes it inferior in my opinion.

Anyway... very glad I could be a part.

Edited by Jeremy Spade
 Post Reply Post Reply