FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPopol Vuh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popol Vuh
    Posted: October 28 2005 at 17:05

I was reading through the reviews of Wolf City by Amon Düül II. BaldJean mentioned in her review of the fantastic album that Sleepwalkers Timeless Bridge sounded like Popol Vuh.

Since Sleepwalkers Timeless Bridge is one of my favourite songs (Can one call it a song?), I became interested in how Popol Vuh sounded. And since the streamer didn't work for me I couldn't listen to the one mp3 that's on PA. So I'm now asking you, fellow prog-lovers, how Popol Vuh sound. Can you recommed them? Can you recommed any album of them?

Edited by Frasse
hcnoer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 17:20

Their singer was asked to take over for Peter Gabriel in Genesis in 75, he turned them down cause he thought he had something going with Popul Vuh/ Popul Ace... I have never undertsood why he didn't acceps... )= Great Music though, if I was to recomend one album it would have to be "Stolen from time".

Pseud0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 17:26
they are Very good

ive herad the nosferatu soundtrack (great soundtrack, incredible movie - see it)
and aguirre (very good as well)

recommended
Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 17:39

Originally posted by Pseud0 Pseud0 wrote:

they are Very good

ive herad the nosferatu soundtrack (great soundtrack, incredible movie - see it)
and aguirre (very good as well)

recommended

You man the old silent movie? That one is superb!

Recently I noticed a DVD with a silent movie version of Dantes Divine Comedy from 1911 with Tangerine Dreams album inspired by the book as soundtrack! to mention something similar.

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 17:48
Popol Vuh (the German one, which is presumably the one BaldJean was referring to) went through a few quite different phases, all of them dominated by keyboard player and main composer Florian Fricke. The first couple of albums were largely realised on the moog synthesiser. Then there was a brief flirtation with Indian music (which was to remain a powerful influence) before Daniel Fieschelcher of Amon Duul II joined on guitar and drums. The albums from this era - mid to late 70s - were probably the strongest that they recorded. They also recorded soundtracks for a number of Werner Herzog films, including Aguirre, Herz Aus Glas and Fitzcarraldo. There were a couple of late albums in the 90s that had a kind of trance/techno feel, but they're not highly rated by the fans. Milan - The Best of Popol Vuh draws mainly on the soundtracks and is a good introduction to the band, but doesn't cover all the different line ups. Their output has been subject to all kinds of substandard compilations and reissues, many with dismal sound quality, so try to go for the original albums where possible.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 07:12

Syz/Chris gives you a fairly succint and accurate review of their career !

I can tell you that the first two albums are very much between Guru Guru and Tangerine Dream (Pink period= Zeit/Atem)

The next four or five album are a delicious blend of cross between rock, jazz and spirutual indian music. This is where you will find their best works.

They spend most of the late 70's and 80's doing soundtracks - mostly for WernerHerzog. Although I cannot sayI am very familiar with this period , I found also very little that held my interest.

But If comparing AD II's Wolf City track to Popol Vuh , she might alsobe talking of the Norwegian band Popol Vuh that recorded two albums around the same time before changing their name to Popol Ace.

They are bound to be included also here! Their sound is much rockier than the German group!

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Syndromet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 08:51
Why isn't Popol Ace in the forums, anyway? The best norwegian prog ever, with Jan Teigen on vocals(the guy who got 0 points in Eurovision, wearing a skeleton dress....) Great band, anyway.
It is said to be the first Test-pressing of the corean release??

http://www.freewebs.com/ligyrophobia/
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 09:18

Originally posted by Syndromet Syndromet wrote:

Why isn't Popol Ace in the forums, anyway? The best norwegian prog ever, with Jan Teigen on vocals(the guy who got 0 points in Eurovision, wearing a skeleton dress....) Great band, anyway.

That seemed to happen to a lot of Norwegian entries in Eurovision - the words 'Norvege - nul points' were rarely far from the presenter's lips. Given the general standard of the performances on offer, scoring 0 was a compliment!

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

mr.burns View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 12:49
Yes lets talk about the norwegian popol ace/wuh.They released three brilliant albums,with maybe the last of them stolen from time being the masterpiece.But the first two are brilliant as well,you guys should really check them out."Fierce stuff",to qoute ms.Doyle
Father Ted: Sheep like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north. Where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 13:13

Originally posted by mr.burns mr.burns wrote:

Yes lets talk about the norwegian popol ace/wuh.They released three brilliant albums,with maybe the last of them stolen from time being the masterpiece.But the first two are brilliant as well,you guys should really check them out."Fierce stuff",to qoute ms.Doyle

I am waiting on some member who would provide me with the infos to do so. Actually they did two albums one Vuh and three under Ace! They do belong here.

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
mr.burns View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 14:19
Yes i  think thats right,i also heard the reason for the namechange was that they found out about the other ace.Its really progressive music,with lots of keyboards almost like a darker genesis.And the vocakist is brilliant,he has a extremely good voice almost operalike.The last album though,the fourth one is really a dissapointment.Also Teigen(the vocalist) had left on that one.I recomend this band very much
Father Ted: Sheep like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north. Where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.
robertplantowns View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 14:34
I always thought there was just one Popol Vuh.  Weird how two prog groups would use the same name, does it mean something interesting in German?  Popol Vuh's self-titled album is one of my favorite albums in my collection.  I find it surprising that they're not included here in the archives under Popol Ace.  The singing and instrumentation are great, and 'The Hunchback' is still one of my favorite prog songs of all time.    
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 14:34

Originally posted by mr.burns mr.burns wrote:

Yes i  think thats right,i also heard the reason for the namechange was that they found out about the other ace.Its really progressive music,with lots of keyboards almost like a darker genesis.And the vocakist is brilliant,he has a extremely good voice almost operalike.The last album though,the fourth one is really a dissapointment.Also Teigen(the vocalist) had left on that one.I recomend this band very much

I suppose you mean when they found out the other VUH!

I have never heard or seen Ace albums , but the twoVuh album are hard prog in the sense of Ruphus's debut , Aunt Mary or Titanic

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 14:52

Originally posted by robertplantowns robertplantowns wrote:

I always thought there was just one Popol Vuh.  Weird how two prog groups would use the same name, does it mean something interesting in German?  Popol Vuh's self-titled album is one of my favorite albums in my collection.  I find it surprising that they're not included here in the archives under Popol Ace.  The singing and instrumentation are great, and 'The Hunchback' is still one of my favorite prog songs of all time.    

The Popol Vuh is the holy book of the ancient Mayans. Have a look at this link: http://www.wisdomworld.org/additional/ancientlandmarks/ThePo polVuh.html

As to the the similarity between the track "Sleepwalker's Timeless Bridge" by Amon Düül 2 and the music of Popol Vuh: This refers especially to the middle period of the German Popol Vuh, with albums like "Einsjäger und Siebenjäger"or "Hosianna Mantra".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
mr.burns View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 14:56
Yes ofcourse i mean vuhI wouldnt exactly call it hardrock,more like i said dark sort of prog with a lot of good musicianship.The keyboard/guitarplayer;pete knutsen is now a member of leader of the tv orchestra i norway.This really got me inspired,i got to dig up those albums and listen to them.Theres nothing  i like more than,rediscovering old albums.Or let me rephrase that,listening to a old album,is like meeting an old friend.Theres a lot of memories
 Post Reply Post Reply