Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBRAINSTORM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BRAINSTORM!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted: November 05 2005 at 19:16

Where's the german PROG METAL band BRAINSTORM????????

They were in the site a week ago...

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 19:50
They were removed, it was decided that they're not prog.
A. F. Doyle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 20:47

Really????????????

Well, i think it's PROG/POWER, just as many other bands in the site...

hmm, that's Ok...at least Ivanhoe is still here (with Andy B. Franck, from Brainstorm)...

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 03:49
Originally posted by A. F. Doyle A. F. Doyle wrote:

Really????????????

hmm, that's Ok...at least Ivanhoe is still here (with Andy B. Franck, from Brainstorm)...

Ivanhoe are much more progressive than Brainstorm. I'm curious ... what is progressive about Brainstorm in your opinion?

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 10:42
As it's not an error as such, I've moved this thread to "Bands and albums".
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 11:29
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Really????????????

Ivanhoe are much more progressive than Brainstorm. I'm curious ... what is progressive about Brainstorm in your opinion?

That's what confuses me about a lot of prog-metal artists in this database: What's prog about them? Really, I honestly have the impression some artists that don't belong here were pushed in by metal fans. I don't say this because I don't like prog-metal, I certainly acknowledge the right of a lot of artist of that section to belong in here; also it isn't true that I don't like prog metal, though it is definitely NOT my favourite genré (the reason for which is that one can create REAL POWER without being metal, so it is usually an unnecessary put-on act. And hence using metal is in many cases an act for those who don't know any better how to create power). And bands like Ice Age have what it takes. But Devin Townsend, for example, is in my opinion an artist who obviously doesn't belong here. He is not prog in the least.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 17:55
^ what's prog about Post Rock or Progressive Electronic? A Post Rock band has very little in common with a Symphonic Prog band, but they're prog nonetheless.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 19:00

I think Brainstorm have a musical structure that makes their sound pretty different than other bands in Power Metal...

They may not be as progressive as Kamelot, Masterplan, Symphony X, Shaaman, Angra, Ivanhoe, Royal Hunt and so many others (that are obviously more Prog Metal than Heavy/Power).... but you have in progarchives.com bands like Rhapsody and Nightwish...so I thought that Brainstorm would fit in here :-)

But that's Ok....and, sorry, my english is awful....

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 19:05

I think Brainstorm have a musical structure that makes their sound pretty different than other bands in Power Metal...

They may not be as progressive as Kamelot, Masterplan, Symphony X, Shaaman, Angra, Ivanhoe, Royal Hunt and so many others (that are obviously more Prog Metal than Heavy/Power).... but you have in progarchives.com bands like Rhapsody and Nightwish...so I thought that Brainstorm would fit in here :-)

But that's Ok....and, sorry, my english is awful....

No problem, your english is fine.

Rhapsody are here because they really blend classical music and metal very nicely ... they are 10x more complex than Brainstorm. Nightwish ... well, you have a point there. But although I really don't like Nightwish, I think that their songs are still more complex than Brainstorm.

You mentioned Kamelot ... IMO they are a band that are borderline prog. Bands that are less progressive than Kamelot should not be accepted in the archives ... Masterplan have been moved to Prog Related, and Royal Hunt are prog because of their earlier albums. Smyphony X are VERY progressive ... some of their songs are plain power metal, some are pure Symphonic Prog Metal.

This is all more complicated than it seems ...

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:02

So in one point we can agree... if a band is less progressive than Kamelot, than it shouldn't be here ... they can be the "limit"...:-)

But i think Masterplan's 'debut' is Prog Metal (in my opinion!)... just as Royal Hunt with John West in the vocals ("The Mission" is a authentic Prog Metal CD)...

Well, I will consider those thing next time, before add some band in progarchives.com... thanks!

PS: If Nightwish is here, bands like Theatre Of Tragedy and Epica will be accepted?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 13:06

So in one point we can agree... if a band is less progressive than Kamelot, than it shouldn't be here ... they can be the "limit"...:-)

But i think Masterplan's 'debut' is Prog Metal (in my opinion!)... just as Royal Hunt with John West in the vocals ("The Mission" is a authentic Prog Metal CD)...

Well, I will consider those thing next time, before add some band in progarchives.com... thanks!

PS: If Nightwish is here, bands like Theatre Of Tragedy and Epica will be accepted?

You may be right about the first Masterplan album - it's proggy. Masterplan are still here - they were only moved to Prog Related.

Royal Hunt is a bit different - IMO all their early albums are quite progressive, so they simply have a bigger share of prog in their discography. But they're obviously not one of the most progressive Prog Metal bands.

About Theatre of Tragedy and Epica ... IMO they should be added, most definitely. But NOT because Nightwish are here - we shouldn't think on a "if band X is here, then Y should be here too". But the genre of Symphonic Metal should be here, at least the more progressive bands of the genre. So YES to Epica and NO to Evanescence (at least IMO).

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 08:20

Evanescence, oh no!!!!!!! :-)

And you're right, i don't think "if band X is here, then Y should be here too"...  i just want to know the "limit" in the Symphonic Prog genre... now I understand...

But, hey, I put Royal Hunt in the same level of Dream Theater, Symphony X, Fates Warning, Zero Hour, etc. It's just that they are very influenced by Hard Rock/AOR, and sometimes Heavy Metal... but their sound is unique...

Thanks...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 09:19

Have a look at my chart:

http://uneasy-listening.com/ProgMetal.html

feel free to post your comments in the "Organizing Prog Metal" thread!

Post Reply Post Reply