Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Sweet albums?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Sweet albums?
    Posted: November 12 2005 at 16:10

I know there was a thread about The Sweet's B sides a while back, but I've gotten some of the band's albums lately, and am blown away by the quality of the songwriting, musicianship and harmonies, that arguably rank up there with Uriah Heep and Queen's harmonies.

'Sweet Fanny Adams' is a pretty peerless heavy rock album, with some real standouts in 'Set Me Free', 'Heartbreak Today', 'No You Don't', plus even a hint of prog in the title track and 'In To The Night'.

'Desolation Boulevard' is another masterfully crafted album, with a very nicely worked out rendition of 'The Man With The Golden Arm' that showcases the drumming of Mick Tucker (even reminded me of 'Toccata' by ELP in parts!), and some proggy overtones again on 'Meddusa', plus some stonkingly heavy rockers in 'Breakdown' and 'Solid Gold Brass'.

Hard rock fans may scoff at the band's 'glam rock' image but the music contained on their albums ranks proudly amongst the best of 70s hard rock, imo.

Anyone else familiar with these albums?

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2005 at 16:38
Well done..you,ve got somne solid albums there....try Give us a wink and Off The Record next!
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 00:54

Funny thing salmacis I was in the midst of answering you when I suddenly realised I had the whole Sweet Fanny Adams album without knowing it! ... the thing is I have three Sweet compilations (i pure early pop singles, the second a decent overview with Ballrom Blitz and Love Is Like Oxygen, and the third is a collection of excellent latter-day stuff ...

full track listing here: http://www.algonet.se/~sweetfa/cd_collection.htm

I only just realised that it has these 9 songs that make up the whole of the Sweet Fanny Adams album

1. Set Me Free       
2. Heartbreak Today       
3. No You Don't       
4. Rebel Rouser       
5. Peppermint Twist       
6. Sweet F.A.       
7. Restless       
8. Into the Night       
9. AC/DC 

... great stuff ... it's also got Fox On The Run, Lies In Your Eyes, Teenage Rampage, The Sixteens, Solid Gold Brass (which means half the stuff on Desolation Boulevard too) ...

A seriously underrated hard-rock band ... even with Ballroom Blitz being covered for Wayne's World and Def Leppard doing Action, I couldn't get people into this band ... as for myself, I now really want to hear Medusa and Man With The Golden Arm!

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 08:07
The Sweet sounding like ELP? - that's something I need to hear! I haven't heard Little Willy for a while either.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 15:14
The remasters of these Sweet albums are absolutely brilliant- they rank up there with the Deep Purple ones in terms of re-evaluating a band and/or their albums (for example, I never really liked 'Burn' by DP until I got the stunning remaster; now I think it's one of the best!).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 16:40

I'm interested in The Sweet as well.As there are a few knowledgable people here can they please answer me these 2 questions.

There are I believe 2 different versions of Action.Where can I get the version with the massive sounding intro.All the versions I've been able to buy only have the abridged intro which is inferior (or did I imagine there was a different version??!)

Also the long version of Love Is Like Oxygen with the proggy mid section is superb.Which album is it on?

Much appreciated if someone can help me out on those!

Edited by richardh
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 16:48

I know for sure the longer, and yes proggier, version of 'Love Is Like Oxygen' is on their album 'Level Headed'.

I believe that the longer version of 'Action' is on the album 'Give Us A Wink'. Something similar happens with the album 'Desolation Boulevard'- the original album features 'Fox On The Run' in a much different yet inferior version to the single version(their best ever song!), yet the single version appears on the remaster.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 16:51
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I know for sure the longer, and yes proggier, version of 'Love Is Like Oxygen' is on their album 'Level Headed'.

I believe that the longer version of 'Action' is on the album 'Give Us A Wink'. Something similar happens with the album 'Desolation Boulevard'- the original album features 'Fox On The Run' in a much different yet inferior version to the single version(their best ever song!), yet the single version appears on the remaster.

Cheers!

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 17:49
I got Level Headed today through the post.Only one listen but seems like an interesting album.'Air on A Tape Loop' has to be a prog track!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 04:23
I've got Give Us a Wink as well now.Great heavy rock album..seriously one of the best I've ever heard.Micky Tucker (RIP) ..what a  superb drummer this guy was! Anyone who loves hard rock drumming has got to be impressed
 Post Reply Post Reply