Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProto-Kaw New CD Info!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proto-Kaw New CD Info!!
    Posted: November 14 2005 at 23:49

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 07:48
Looking forward to it greatly.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 11:15

Got to hear a couple iof tracks at the show about 10 days ago.  Should be a very good CD. Plus they are adding live tracks from the  Nearfest pre- show even better!

Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 12:11
I'm also looking forward to this release.  I'm not a big Kansas fan (gasp), but I do like Kansas.  Proto Kaw is another story.  I really enjoyed the last release.   
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 14:20
I definatly can`t wait thanks for the information this is one CD I`ll pre order 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 15:04

Hey Garion,

I can't wait either...had 'Before Became After' on in the car today... ...love it!

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 10:45
Awesome. Looking forward to it for sure.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 14:22
Just to elborate on my note I was able to hear two tracks at the recent concert they did in Kansas City and they were great.  Some great piano played by Livgren in one around a nice song.  THe second song was little darker with a more bluesy feel in the song while the instrumental parts were very fast and more dynamic.  I don't know which one was which because they didn't say but we were told in advance the two songs were called Relics of the Tempest amd On the Eve of the Great Decline.  Another great cover too by Ken Westphal. 

Gaspy Conana View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 22:58

I hope some of them are epics. :)
i no wuts proggeir and u dont so their
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 23:04

Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Just to elborate on my note I was able to hear two tracks at the recent concert they did in Kansas City and they were great.  Some great piano played by Livgren in one around a nice song.  THe second song was little darker with a more bluesy feel in the song while the instrumental parts were very fast and more dynamic.  I don't know which one was which because they didn't say but we were told in advance the two songs were called Relics of the Tempest amd On the Eve of the Great Decline.  Another great cover too by Ken Westphal. 

SWEET!!!!

BTW, the Kansas City concert was during Wheatfest, I presume?  Any chance you were able to catch Kerry in the encore of the Kansas concert the following night?  I really wanted to be there, but was stuck on business in Texas that weekend.  Major bummer!  I'm curious to hear from anyone what they thought of the performance.  I know it was just done as a gesture to the rabid fans in Kansas, but still - would have been great to see.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
pogoowner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 00:13

I can't wait for this album!  Kerry Livgren's writing cannot be matched.

And it might as well be raining, 'cause the sunlight hurts his eyes,
And his ears will never hear the children's cries
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 16:35
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

SWEET!!!!

BTW, the Kansas City concert was during Wheatfest, I presume?  Any chance you were able to catch Kerry in the encore of the Kansas concert the following night?  I really wanted to be there, but was stuck on business in Texas that weekend.  Major bummer!  I'm curious to hear from anyone what they thought of the performance.  I know it was just done as a gesture to the rabid fans in Kansas, but still - would have been great to see.

Yes part of Wheatfest 9/Bison Bash 1.  For those not knowing this is a gathering of Kansas Fans from the fan board kansasfans.com.  They do it once a year and have a bunch of people play some Kansas material with an ambitous setlist that I don't think the real band would touch anymore.  These guys go under the name the Traveling Wheatheads and they only play once a year. They includes Jake Livgren, Kerry's nephew who tours with Proto Kaw, who at point said with the type of music they guys played sometimes I wish i was Gene Simmons nephew.  So for how good they are is pretty suprising.  They play around an auction that raises money for one of the bands charities. This year we raised almost $2500 for a childrens autisic foundation. One of the items was a guitar Kerry had used on Somewhere to Elsewhere recordings signed by the entire band.  There were about 100 of us from 30 different states and three different countries. 

We saw PK on Friday night and Kansas on Saturday and yes Kerry Livgren did play the encore's with Kansas.  Robby Stienhardt showed up at the PK concert and the auction too. What was really cool was Robby when introducing Kerry for the encore he was wearing a Proto-Kaw t-shirt.  Very cool people in both bands.   Had one of the best times in my life.   Hoping to get back there in Feb for the CD release party for The Wait of Glory.

Post Reply Post Reply