Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere did drugs fit in with Genesis?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where did drugs fit in with Genesis?
    Posted: November 15 2005 at 01:28
This is a spinoff from another thread but i'm curious for input. Where Genesis highly drug influenced, its been said Gabriel was against drugs. Also Hackett has a recent song titled Marijuana, Assassin Of Youth so he must have some kind of past with it. So lets hear your input
ThisWas View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 02:32
im not sure on how drugs fit into genesis, but i f i were to guess, which is what i will do, i will guess nothing. i find the lyrics to be too cynical, mystical and full of witticisms just to be mindless drug induced ramblings, then again, peter gabriel does dress up as a flower.........
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 02:50
If there would be any of such behind their creativity, at least they do not cherish them directrly in their songs. Which I think is good.
Fritha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 04:32

Steve's first wife in the early seventies had a drug problem, I believe, which eventually led to their divorce. Don't know how that made the man think about drugs in general but I can't see him having tried anything stronger than pot due to this...! Nowadays he doesn't even touch alcohol, which I find a bit curious -did he have something of a drinking problem at some point or is it just part of his fitness fanaticism??   

I was made to love magic
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 08:10

Originally posted by ThisWas ThisWas wrote:

im not sure on how drugs fit into genesis, but i f i were to guess, which is what i will do, i will guess nothing. i find the lyrics to be too cynical, mystical and full of witticisms just to be mindless drug induced ramblings, then again, peter gabriel does dress up as a flower.........

what a short cut you make, there: as if the fact that when you are on drugs stops you from thinking thoughtfully and you are highly incapable of writing decent lyrics> Floyd were stoned out of their minds and wrote sensible lyrics> Same for Nick drake and many more

Rimbaud , Beaudelaire and Verlaine were addicts and wrote some of the best poetry around

I do not advocate drug use (i still smoke up around once a week) and the lastthing I want to do is turn on anyone in that direction , but there appears to be a lotof young progheads who want to re-write the history by claiming that the classic bands were drug-free, as if to justify their superior feeling towards their musical tastes. This is hardly the case , drugs were part of everyday life for musicians and I believe most of Genesis members smoked up  and they were writing lyrics is a more or less collective manner (until Lamb On Broadway). but they were hardly dopeheads compared to the other bands of the era.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 09:21

To mis-quote the new Van Der Graaf Generator book I read over the weekend (highly recommended can buy it at www.vandergraafgenerator.co.uk)...

Genesis, Lindisfarne and VdGG did a tour together in the early 70's called the six bob tour. All three groups shared the same tour bus, and decamped to separate areas of the bus.

VdGG were at the back smoking dope

Lindisfarne sat in the middle drinking Newcastle brown ale

Genesis sat at the front doing crosswords and not talking to anyone.

Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 09:27
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

im not sure on how drugs fit into genesis, but i f i were to guess, which is what i will do, i will guess nothing. i find the lyrics to be too cynical, mystical and full of witticisms just to be mindless drug induced ramblings, then again, peter gabriel does dress up as a flower.........<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
     SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
     SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->

what a short cut you make, there: as if the fact that when you are on drugs stops you from thinking thoughtfully and you are highly incapable of writing decent lyrics> Floyd were stoned out of their minds and wrote sensible lyrics> Same for Nick drake and many more

Rimbaud , Beaudelaire and Verlaine were addicts and wrote some of the best poetry around

I do not advocate drug use (i still smoke up around once a week) and the lastthing I want to do is turn on anyone in that direction , but there appears to be a lotof young progheads who want to re-write the history by claiming that the classic bands were drug-free, as if to justify their superior feeling towards their musical tastes. This is hardly the case , drugs were part of everyday life for musicians and I believe most of Genesis members smoked up  and they were writing lyrics is a more or less collective manner (until Lamb On Broadway). but they were hardly dopeheads compared to the other bands of the era.

Well said!
VanBuren View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 12:52
doing crosswords eh? rockers to the very end
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 13:01
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

To mis-quote the new Van Der Graaf Generator book I read over the weekend (highly recommended can buy it at www.vandergraafgenerator.co.uk)...

Genesis, Lindisfarne and VdGG did a tour together in the early 70's called the six bob tour. All three groups shared the same tour bus, and decamped to separate areas of the bus.

VdGG were at the back smoking dope

Lindisfarne sat in the middle drinking Newcastle brown ale

Genesis sat at the front doing crosswords and not talking to anyone.

That's hilariously awesome. Not only that, it makes me want to give that book a purchase even more. Thanks for the info.
Gianthogweed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 15:22
I know Steve and Phil were into a few drugs in the seventies, but I think the rest of those guys were clean.
Charles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 15:38

Originally posted by Gianthogweed Gianthogweed wrote:

I know Steve and Phil were into a few drugs in the seventies, but I think the rest of those guys were clean.

The band as a whole did smoke pot, but the only one that did it on a regular was Phil, which one of the main reasons this guy kept speaking out of his ass through most of the 80's... (pun)

Charles

G'day
Suki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 15:55

Haha ! Good one there.

Soulman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2005 at 03:57
Bah stinkin drugs. I'd rather ignore whatever influence they supposedly had on my idols.
Alagithil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2005 at 20:45
I think Genesis is incredible for their lucidity. If Peter Gabriel took drugs, it was prbably a very calculatedstep in his master-plan, because that's the kind of super-practical guy he strikes me as.

Life is like an avantgarde play because tuna.
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2005 at 22:07
narcotics, psychedelics, and occult were common
practice and central to most of your favorite big name
70's progressive bands.
otherwise they would have been writing pop songs
or symphonies!
you guys never cease to amaze.

next Edgar Allan Poe, Pablo Piccasso, Vassily
Kandinsky and Amadeus Mozart were health food