Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSystem of a Down - Hypnotize

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 12:51

Their 1st album is the only one I can bear- then they started to get all commercial- and Pollitical- f that!

kingofbizzare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 19:06
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Any fan of Fantomas needs to check out the track "Vicinity of Obscenity".

It's interesting that you say that, I'm a huge Fantomas fan and that is one of my favorite songs off that album.

BePinkTheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 12:48

Great Great Ablum!!

I was very plaesed. i have listrened to it so many times already and i love it.

Vicinity of Obsenity is deffinatlly my favourite one. But all are good.

IMO, though, Mezmerize is better. There is more coherency to the album and it has a nicer flow. However the music on Hypnotize is better.

I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard
d.o.k View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 15:22
I clearly hear progressive influences in their music, and they do recognize it. Tempo changing, various genres played, strange vocals (she's like heroin)... really a great band.
Nonetheless, 2 anoying points :
- the bassist seems to be useless. Daron's guitar with an octaver pedal would give the same result.
- i've never seen them live, but already hear it and it's sometimes awful. Where they got time in the studio to join two parts with different tempos, in live conditions they seem to have difficulties.
my band : http://lgab.tk
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 15:42
Originally posted by d.o.k d.o.k wrote:

- i've never seen them live, but already hear it and it's sometimes awful. Where they got time in the studio to join two parts with different tempos, in live conditions they seem to have difficulties.

My experience was quite the opposite.  I actually didn't like SOAD until I saw them live.  their live show is very rapid-fire and at times difficult to follow in its complexity.  one second they are rocking and thrashing, then before you can blink, Serj does a keyboard solo which turns into a guitar-keyboard duet, which turns into a blistering guitar solo,  with psychadelic visuals throughout the show. 
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
tremulant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 08:19
Why the f**k do you people care whether or not they're political or not?!?! Politics are something VERY important in that they shape our world - and the world is in a very bad shape. Politics are something that should be discussed more, the more aware people are - the more likely things can be changed for the better of the world.
Even Pink Floyd are political - take the album Animlas for instance, or even their album Dark Side of the Moon is political. No doubt there are probobly heaps of political prog bands out there, Pink Floyd is the only band I can think of at the moment. I don't see how politics could be a problem to music at all.
My solo music: ANTHROPIATE
tremulant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 08:34
Originally posted by Badabec Badabec wrote:

I don't like System of a down.

Besides they are not progressive, so they shouldn't be mentioned at this site.

Is this not the "Non-Prog Music" part of the site?
You're acting like it's insulting to have them talked about on this site.

Sometimes coming on this site just p*sses me off so much - some of you people are so f**cking pretentious "Oh they don't fit in with what I consider Progressive Rock, therefore they are inferior and should burn in damnation". Get ahold of yourselves please! I joined this site months ago and then left because of your pointless banter on bands like Coheed and Cambria not being "Progressive enough" to be on the site (or just because YOU don't like them). I have given into my love for music and have come back to this site despite the pretentiousness of many members, but could people PLEASE stop being such w**kers and be more respectfull to bands they don't like.

Thank-you.
My solo music: ANTHROPIATE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12