Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgger falling on hard times

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progger falling on hard times
    Posted: November 18 2005 at 04:13

I made this post in another thread ... then realised I'd like to hear more about it ... I know most famous proggers aren't dead ... but how many fall on hard times? ...

I saw this unbelievably dumb show on MTV called Meet The Barkers ... and I was looking at the guy's mansion (he's the drummer for Blink 182) ... and then I remembered the luxury of the stars that we see on MTV cribs

And I thought it was really unfair that these people are so rich with relavtively bad music from just a handful of albums, whereas there are many proggers who played outstanding music and had to endure a life of poverty ...

I'm not talking about the really big names of ELP and Yes, but equally talented musicians in smaller bands (not much) ... apparently both Vincent Crane of Atomic Rooster (who committed suicide) and Steve Upton of Wishbone Ash (struggling as a waiter) ... were hard-up for cash ... I also just read about Wolly from BJH having spent time in a sanatorium ...

I don't like that at all ...

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 05:19

It is sad to hear these things, although it has to be said that managing large sums of money takes responsibility and maturity. Many of these acts like Wishbone Ash nd BJH did enjoy some commercial success. Their albums did chart in their day, and inevitably they must have made a respectable amount of money. How they spent it/invested it may well be at the root of their finacial downfall. Kate Bush is a good example of how wealth can be maintained despite never touring, and a relatively small musical output.

Both Bill Ward of Black Sabbath and Peter Criss of Kiss made millions in the 70's, by the 80's Criss was a tramp, living rough in NYC, and Ward was living in his mates garage (prior to recording 'Born Again;' and the Sabbath comeback) In the case of both, most of their fortunes probably went up their noses..

Obviously I agree that prog rock musicans should be paid huge amounts of money just for beling very talented and keeping me entertained  but in reality artists need to look at what they do within the context of record industry politics, what Joe Public wants, and their potential shelf life.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Olympus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 05:22

I also think it is very sad that there are so many crappy "musicians" out there who make millions of dollars from playing songs which require no talent or skill. On the other hand we have very skillful proggers who a very good at what they do but get neither credit or money, this is probably because prog isn't all that popular... But we love it I bet most people don't even know what prog rock is.

"Let's get the hell away from this Eerie-ass piece of work so we can get on with the rest of our eerie-ass day"
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 05:26

I`m interested also in this topic as I`m  aware artists in general have been known to suffer often  many die poor and then society decides they like their work and pay a fortune for it (like the money is any good dead) I`m not even sure why good fortune isn`t always the reward for good work but it seems commerce hates  art and will make the artist .. poet .. philosopher  suffer at any cost. Its all about filling up concert halls .. selling big amounts of records and filling up girly mags with cute pics of the ideal dream man,  nothing to do with the music ..  the  art  ..  the  poet .. the stuff of substance thats makes this  form of art "prog rock" last  an  eternity  for its devoted fans  ! (Mr Commerce it wont sell fast but it will sell long)  

Edited by s1ipp3ry
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 05:42
Originally posted by s1ipp3ry s1ipp3ry wrote:

I`m interested also in this topic as I`m  aware artists in general have been known to suffer often  many die poor and then society decides they like their work and pay a fortune for it (like the money is any good dead) I`m not even sure why good fortune isn`t always the reward for good work but it seems commerce hates  art and will make the artist .. poet .. philosopher  suffer at any cost. Its all about filling up concert halls .. selling big amounts of records and filling up girly mags with cute pics of the ideal dream man,  nothing to do with the music ..  the  art  ..  the  poet .. the stuff of substance thats makes this  form of art "prog rock" last  an  eternity  for its devoted fans  ! (Mr Commerce it wont sell fast but it will sell long)  

Sounds like the 'Nick Drake' principle..

He took his own life aged 27 after making several excellent albums, but never really captured the attention of the masses. After his death, of course everyone wanted to know. It's a but creepy, but also poignant that he seemed to predict all this in his song 'Fruit Tree'

Fame is but a fruit tree
So very unsound.
It can never flourish
Till its stalk is in the ground.
So men of fame
Can never find a way
Till time has flown
Far from their dying day.
Forgotten while you're here
Remembered for a while
A much updated ruin
From a much outdated style.

Life is but a memory
Happened long ago.
Theatre full of sadness
For a long forgotten show.
Seems so easy
Just to let it go on by
Till you stop and wonder
Why you never wondered why.

Safe in the womb
Of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can
Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.
Forgotten while you're here
Remembered for a while
A much updated ruin
From a much outdated style.

Fame is but a fruit tree
So very unsound.
It can never flourish
Till its stalk is in the ground.
So men of fame
Can never find a way
Till time has flown
Far from their dying day.

Fruit tree, fruit tree
No-one knows you but the rain and the air.
Don't you worry
They'll stand and stare when you're gone.

Fruit tree, fruit tree
Open your eyes to another year.
They'll all know
That you were here when you're gone.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 05:42

It is sad.

Has to be said Vincent Crane suffered from depression for years which can't have helped his situation.

I'm sure Floyd guys are extremely comfortable now, but they lost a fortune in 70's due to bad financial advice, ELP blew a fortune on 77 works tour and i've seen Emerson quoted saying he is not well off today.

Kevin Ayers said he only kept going for years due to the help of wealthy friends.

Like many of us on this forum I have spent thousands of £ over the years on LPs/CDs/concerts/tour T-shirts, etc.. A lot of record companies and middle men are sitting on a nice pile of cash, while a lot of artists suffer. Doesn't seem right to me.

Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 06:32
I find it sad that Nick Barrett of Pendragon had to remortgage his house to finance the last Pendragon album.
Vanwarp View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 08:38

With the arrival of the WWW, comes a whole new way of doing business.  Many unknown bands (prog or otherwise) can market their music in ways not available 5 years ago.  You don't even need a label to sell your music anymore...what you do need is a crash course on "marketing."

You need to learn how to market your band and your music.  Your band needs an Official Web Page, you need to find ways to get exposure for your music and you need to make your music available on line, selling your own CD's and digital downloads...(some of those MP3 files should be available free...)  

I've heard of some artists being dropped by their labels only to continue doing business on-line...of course they already have a following and a fan base to help them along.  But when you consider that selling you CD directly will yield you more income, even if you sell less albums this way then through a label...the benefits are obvious.  Let me further explain.  Take the fact that some labels will only give you between 1$ and 2$ per CD's they sell, you're going to have to sell a hell of a lot of music to make a little money.  I've heard of a local band, smalltime rock outfit, that ended up selling 35,000 copies of their self-produced debut CD, at 10$ a pop.  You do the math!  ($$$)   One of the artist who was dropped sold more than 100,000 copies at 10$ a pop...he stated he'd never made so much money on an album before even though he had sold a fraction of the number of CD's he'd sold before.

Today, if a relatively unknown prog artist can sell 25,000 CD's on line, I figure he's making a pretty good living.  Consider the extra money he might make touring (money from the gigs themselves, and selling CD's on site, t-shirts, baseball caps, etc...) I think most prog bands have to look at how the music business works today, and they need to learn more about marketing strategies and new innovative ways of selling their music...  

Edited by Vanwarp
"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
Radioactive Toy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 08:40
Well you can be rich in 2 ways.. 

Reed's failed joke counter:
|||||
R.I.P. You could have reached infinity....
R.Darkmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 20:41
Originally posted by Vanwarp Vanwarp wrote:

With the arrival of the WWW, comes a whole new way of doing business.  Many unknown bands (prog or otherwise) can market their music in ways not available 5 years ago.  You don't even need a label to sell your music anymore...what you do need is a crash course on "marketing."

You need to learn how to market your band and your music.  Your band needs an Official Web Page, you need to find ways to get exposure for your music and you need to make your music available on line, selling your own CD's and digital downloads...(some of those MP3 files should be available free...)  

I've heard of some artists being dropped by their labels only to continue doing business on-line...of course they already have a following and a fan base to help them along.  But when you consider that selling you CD directly will yield you more income, even if you sell less albums this way then through a label...the benefits are obvious.  Let me further explain.  Take the fact that some labels will only give you between 1$ and 2$ per CD's they sell, you're going to have to sell a hell of a lot of music to make a little money.  I've heard of a local band, smalltime rock outfit, that ended up selling 35,000 copies of their self-produced debut CD, at 10$ a pop.  You do the math!  ($$$)   One of the artist who was dropped sold more than 100,000 copies at 10$ a pop...he stated he'd never made so much money on an album before even though he had sold a fraction of the number of CD's he'd sold before.

Today, if a relatively unknown prog artist can sell 25,000 CD's on line, I figure he's making a pretty good living.  Consider the extra money he might make touring (money from the gigs themselves, and selling CD's on site, t-shirts, baseball caps, etc...) I think most prog bands have to look at how the music business works today, and they need to learn more about marketing strategies and new innovative ways of selling their music...  

It seems to be the best choice of action... Music Corporations simply control the artist and they've become their puppet before they even know it
I'm not antisocial, I just don't like wasting my breath...
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 21:14

Well, life's not always fair

And most of the times it's unfair. The key here s that the musician, however talented he is, will not get popular unless (i) he is promoted and (ii) he plays accessible music. Teens nowadays aren't keen on prog, which I constantly witness at school. That sucks, but that's the way things are. Complex music is not for the masses. Thus, prog musicians will not get as much $$$, thus they won't live in a mansion. The sh*tty blink 182 made quite a few mtv anthems, and of course they will be rich. Mtv ans kroq are some of the worst disasters to strike the earth. They are huge money making machines, and if you manage to get involved, you'll get quite some profit. Prog is boring to those millions of pop punk fans, they won't pay for their concerts and they won't watch their videos, thus the companies won't pay for the advertising on the channel, and no one would hear of them. Teens watch the pop punk videos, then pay for their CD's and go to their concerts. That's a perfectly natural process.

Also, think about this: would you love prog as much as you do if it was as popular as pop punk?

R.Darkmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 21:35
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Also, think about this: would you love prog as much as you do if it was as popular as pop punk?

You've got a point, Miracle it would be totally the opposite. Masses loving prog and us liking simplier types of music (punk, pop, etc, etc)
I'm not antisocial, I just don't like wasting my breath...
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 22:36
Originally posted by R.Darkmoon R.Darkmoon wrote:

Also, think about this: would you love prog as
much as you do if it was as popular as pop punk?

You've got a point, Miracle it would be totally the opposite.
Masses loving prog and us liking simplier types of music (punk, pop, etc,
etc)

Despite the fact that prog will never be popular to the masses, if it were
you would have prog bands that were creating bands for money and to
get famous. You don't really have much of that now because the artists
know that prog is not going to get you famous and are playing it because
it is what they love to do (in all generality.)
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2005 at 01:50

Guess this kind of boils down to the old art vs. commerce dilema.

On a big label, the corporation is investing a lot of money. They expect a hefty return on that investment and generally call the shots. The contract generally favours the label to protect said investment.

On a small label, the band gets a lot more say but are limited by the size of the company as far as resources.

So, does an artist sacrifice some control over their work for more audience reach (and financial gain) or keep the integrity of the work at the cost of few or nobody hearing it?

It's a sad fact that sometimes you have to make a decision based on finance. After all, if you don't make any money, you will have to find another way to pay your bills. This means that you will have less time to devote to your creativity and your art suffers.

Anyone in a creative field has to face this sooner or later.

Then there's the problem of a larger label priorities. If a large company offers a major star a hefty signing bonus, they are going to concentrate on the release of that album. Others will likely be put on a back burner. A recent example of this is Emm Gryner, great singer songwriter but the big label that signed her put most of their effort supporting other more commercial artists. Because she didn't have a lot of sales (despite the lack of support that wasn't her fault), she was dropped. She's still hanging in there but on a smaller label (or is she completely independant? I forget).

By the way, if you get a chance to see Emm Gryner, do it. 

"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2005 at 03:32

Best thread in along long time. It is about passion and most prog artists have it in abundance. It is about art forms and most artists have the patience to create the art. In retrospect earnings had to be relative but I do agree bands like Floyd, Strawbs, Genesis and even on a miniscule scale, Gravy Train suffered badly.Thanks to media formats changing and the onset of CD's a lot of bands recouped their well earned stash.

"The futures for discovering, the space, which we travel in.........................."

Prog forever....dimensional thinking art.

<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2005 at 06:06

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I find it sad that Nick Barrett of Pendragon had to remortgage his house to finance the last Pendragon album.

I read on another forum somewhere a message Nick Barrett wrote about this kind of thing, he said that the musicians union in the uk reported that the AVERAGE income of it's members in 2004 was £10k, that is less than welfare assistance in the UK, he also said that he earned a deal less than that in 2004.

However I think this is where there is something of a paradox, there are folk who STILL feel that it is ok to download, and "share" music with countless others, and whether you like it or not, this DOES have a knock on effect on the sales of albums, and therefore the income of musicians. and I think it is done in the false belief that "oh they can afford it" / "I want that album, but can't afford it right now" / "I will try before I buy"  schools of thought.

The flip side of this is that we end up having these kind of discussions, for a lot of musicians (and what we would think of as successful musicians) it is not a case of bad financial management, it is not a case of poor advice, it is a case of not making enough money. It is getting harder and harder to make a living out of music. We idolise these guys, we have been buying their music in some cases for 10, 20, or 30 years, and we think that because they have been held on a pedestal for that time in our lives that they must be living in the lap of luxury. Most are not.

It will continue to become harder and harder for guys like this to produce music (for us) and to tour etc etc if we keep sticking our heads in the sand. If we continue to burn a copy for a mate (who burns for his mate, who pops it onto p2p etc etc) then there will be a longer list of musicans we idolise in the "found dead and in poverty" category.

It really is not the same as in the old days when we taped a copy of a vinyl album for a mate, co s back then the quality was so poor that the mate would HAVE to buy it.

So, in conclusion, to avoid the "shock at poverty struck idol" kind of conversation we all need to take responsiblity and to not allow this to happen. My friends think I am a music nazi because I don't burn copies for them, I don't take stuff from p2p, but I do sleep at night knowing that I am not contributing to the downfall of some of my musical idols! Why should I biuld them up, only to break them down?

Climbs off soap box................and refreshes the coffee pot..............

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2005 at 09:09
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I read on another forum somewhere a message Nick Barrett wrote about this kind of thing, he said that the musicians union in the uk reported that the AVERAGE income of it's members in 2004 was £10k, that is less than welfare assistance in the UK, he also said that he earned a deal less than that in 2004.

However I think this is where there is something of a paradox, there are folk who STILL feel that it is ok to download, and "share" music with countless others, and whether you like it or not, this DOES have a knock on effect on the sales of albums, and therefore the income of musicians. and I think it is done in the false belief that "oh they can afford it" / "I want that album, but can't afford it right now" / "I will try before I buy"  schools of thought.

The flip side of this is that we end up having these kind of discussions, for a lot of musicians (and what we would think of as successful musicians) it is not a case of bad financial management, it is not a case of poor advice, it is a case of not making enough money. It is getting harder and harder to make a living out of music. We idolise these guys, we have been buying their music in some cases for 10, 20, or 30 years, and we think that because they have been held on a pedestal for that time in our lives that they must be living in the lap of luxury. Most are not.

It will continue to become harder and harder for guys like this to produce music (for us) and to tour etc etc if we keep sticking our heads in the sand. If we continue to burn a copy for a mate (who burns for his mate, who pops it onto p2p etc etc) then there will be a longer list of musicans we idolise in the "found dead and in poverty" category.

It really is not the same as in the old days when we taped a copy of a vinyl album for a mate, co s back then the quality was so poor that the mate would HAVE to buy it.

So, in conclusion, to avoid the "shock at poverty struck idol" kind of conversation we all need to take responsiblity and to not allow this to happen. My friends think I am a music nazi because I don't burn copies for them, I don't take stuff from p2p, but I do sleep at night knowing that I am not contributing to the downfall of some of my musical idols! Why should I biuld them up, only to break them down?

Climbs off soap box................and refreshes the coffee pot..............

Good argument but it does all go back to the fact that record sales have virtually no impact on the income of the artist as they only see penies from each CD sold and the ££ go to the music label. Personally I cant justify going into HMV or Virgin and paying £16-30 for an album knowing that 95% of the mony I just paid isnt going to the people that I admire for their musical abilaties and instead it is going to the bean counters at the record company. InsideOut are probably worse than the main labels because they charge a considerable amount more than them.

However I do believe that file shareing (on complete albums at least) is bad because it means that neither the record label is selling albums (witch could make them drop the band that you riped off) and the band  is seeing even less money from their record sales, even if their popularity is up.

Now its been said before but the best solution would be for the band to record and produce their own music, witch isnt to hard as a number of them already do, and to market and sell it themselfes over the internet. This means that they get most of the money that is spent on the CD instead of penies as well as the money they make from touring. Lets face it, this requires a lot more thinking and organizing but it could mean that prog artists make a decent living out of their work and people can still get to enjoy it.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2005 at 11:42
Originally posted by R.Darkmoon R.Darkmoon wrote:

You've got a point, Miracle it would be totally the opposite. Masses loving prog and us liking simplier types of music (punk, pop, etc, etc)

Well if the only criteria for your likning music is who else listens to it, then yes
 Post Reply Post Reply