Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Petrucci VS. Michael Romeo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Poll Question: Who is the better guitarist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
70 [56.91%]
53 [43.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 21:19

Quote I have heard An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess, but I still think Michael Romeo is a far better neo-classical player, one of the best along with Tony MacAlpine and Stephen Forte.

I'll agree, Stephen Forte is primarily a Neo-Classical guitar player, so I would expect him to be a better Neo-Classical player then Petrucci.  The same goes for MacAlpine, but he's an all around excellent player.

Quote AtLossOfWords, I call you ignorant because you are always insulting Michael Romeo, and most of the songs are wrong
and it's obvious that you haven't heard the Michael Romeos guitar work enough and also that you are a fan boy who admires John Petrucci overall...

That's a nice thought, I really love John Petrucci's playing, so there is no way i would ever back up my opinion with reasoning on why he's a great player.  There's no need for me to actually back up my opinions is there?  I love Dream Theater, so that must be the ONLY reason why i prefer Petrucci to Romeo, right?

Quote And length is nothing special...In a long song you can put so many different ideas and it's harder to write a short song about 5 minutes than writing a song about 15 minutes...Furthermore, if they would play every verse and the chorus 4 times like dream theater do and put some interlude in the songs would also be about 10 minutes...

Dream Theater is one of the least repeatative bands in Prog Metal.  If you are inferring they are repeatative, you have dug yourself into a very big hole.  Dream Theater rarely repeats parts of the song structure more than twice.   For example take the Glass Prison.  The beginning holds the intro, then into the verses the vocals are added on the first repeat, adding a new element to the song.  The true chorus of the song is never repeated.  The second movement is primarily a transition of breakdowns with skillfull techniques over top of them.  The third movement is has scare repeats and is entirely insturmental until the outro.  I could show you how Dream Theater is not a repeatative band by using more examples, but i believe that would be quite boring for you.  The only Dream Theater song that i think is truly repeatative is Pull Me Under.

Quote just listen to every song about 50 times...especially THE ODYSSEY which you definitly didn't understand, I think I'm near to fully understand it, after hearing it 150-200 times, give it a chance, I've the impression you listen to it one time, telling you in your mind "what a sh*t what a sh*t,dream theater is far better..."!

So if i just listen to Symphony X more, I will like it more?  Do they just kind of grow on people after people consider them boring?  I've listened to Symphony X enough.  I have all the albums with Russell Allen, and I do listen to them. Don't assume something concerning me.  I may love Symphony X, I may own their albums, but you don't know.  Rather then telling me to listen to Symphony X, why don't you give me an arguement that actually has to do with Romeo being better than Petrucci?

Quote And yes Xymphony, you are right, Symphony X have not reallly a (total) loss like Dream Theater often have and furthermore I think Symphony X are far more creative. Octavarium lacks of the earlier originality Dream Theater had.
"Octavarium can be compared to?: The question is what you can't compare it to!" and that's right because almost every song is just a cheap copy of other bands.

Symphony X has a total loss, it's called the Odyssey.  The majority of average SX fans like Accollade II and the title track.  Kind of like how average Dream Theater fans like Sacraficed Sons and the title track.  I think The Odyssey lacks the musical ability earlier Symphony X albums had.  i would be very interested in how The Root of All Evil, Panic Attack, Sacraficed Sons, These Walls, The Answer Lies Within, and the title track are a "cheap copy of other bands".  I am comfortable matching up the musicality and creativity in Octavarium vs. the musicality and creativity in the Odyssey any day.

Quote John Petrucci has never shown really talents in SONG writing.

Petrucci and Portnoy are the two main composers in Dream Theater, i would have to say that is a display of compositional talents.  The mathematical precision of Dream Theater is certainly an aspect of composing.  The variation of Dream Theater is certainly an aspect of composing of Dream Theater.  Petrucci has displayed as much if not more talents in composing for Dream Theater than Romeo has in Symphony X. 

Quote And "No, Romeo does not repeat himself in almost every album! Stop being ignorant, and listen with a little more attention, otherwise your coments are nonsense!"

Yes, it's total nonsense that i recognize that Romeo uses the same musical tools on his albums.  Lady of the Snow and Winter's Dream have nothing in common as a closer.  The Edge of Forever has nothing in common with Through the Looking Glass.  Smoke and Mirrors has a sweeping neo-classical intro instead of a sweeping neo-classical interlude.  Dress to Kill and A Fool's Paradise do not have a similar riff.

What do you want to prove, and to whom, and how, and why? I find most Dream Theater's songs "lacking emotion". I find Romeo a far better composer and a little better performer than Petrucci, but it is a matter of taste. My philosophy is "doing sth different, does not always mean doing sth good". Creativity and unity are more important than "originality". If these three aspects unite, legends are born. I think none of these bands are legends. These are my opinions, however, you speak as if mentioning scientific truths... And i want to ask what you name the genre of Symphony X, if not prog? ...Metal (heavy, power, thrash etc) Which one?

I want to prove Petrucci is the better player to anyone reading these posts, because this is a subject worth posting about.  My philosophy is, if you can back it up you have a right to think the way you do.  I don't post here calling anyone ignorant.  I state my position and why.  If necessary, I go back and answer more direct questions in more detail.

SYMPHONY X is POWER METAL

They simply lack many elements of progressive metal such as complicated song structure, variation, and originality.  How much more do i really need to explain?

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."
dysrhytm View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 11:35
We are just 2 fan guys and john petrucci is your god and michael romeo is mine, and I think nothing will change this, especially not this discussion here.
No Dream Theater don't repeat often but in some songs I know. And Symphony X songs are also complex structured.
Candlellight Fantasia, for example. First an arpeggio section by the guitar and the piano then a fantastic emotional solo, the vocals begin, then chorus, a harder verse and a fast stunning solo. Of course there are shorter songs by Symphony X, reminding a bit of power metal, for example OUT OF THE ASHES, one of the most straight Symphony X song, but length is no sign for more creativity. You can have more themes in a 5 minutes song than in a 10 minute song. It depends on speed and how often you repeat it etc. but I think the aim of both bands is different. Symphony X orientate on power metal bands and often have the system of a verse, pre-chorus and a chorus, a prelude and some interludes and outro.
The best example is the album "V", I've heard so often that people didn't like it at the beginning, Symphony X's music really grows on you, especially "V" and "The Odyssey", and yes you are right, I don't know if you have listened often to Michael Romeo's stuff, it was just a guess. So it doesn't really matter who you like but please don't say things that are actually wrong. I think these were the release for my guess that you haven't listened to it enough, but I still think you do not know all of his work, do you? I think "The Odyssey" is far more original than "Octavarium", except Wicked. Inferno is a typical Symphony X track, the guitar work during the verse is new, more like typical metal (same with wicked)and the vocals but besides that very typical for Symphony X. Incantations of the Apprentice is an incredible song I last noticed. The beginning is totally stunning and the rest is very atmospheric, but I think the heavyness is a bit exaggerated. Accolade II sounds much less like Kansas than the first Accolade. King of Terrors is a strange song, very atmospheric but very very hard and the solo is too fast. The Turning, well fine Speed-Metal, Awakenings, I hope you share my attitude is genious. At the beginning a piano (bass line and a normal line), another bass line is added and the guitar joins and this wonderful piano sequence with amazing vocals. Afterwards it gets harder not too much but very catchy with lots of nice solos and Michael Pinnella shows off his Jazz talents. And the Odyssey is a milestone, what don't you like about it?
(sry if I bored you ) And what I heard about Octavarium reminds me of U2, Muse and Pink Floyd and not really about the old innovative genious Dream Theater.
What I don't like is their development, both are getting harder with every album, although I think Octavarium is less harder than Train of Thought and earlier both bands were more original and more melodical, just better...
Especially Michael Romeo and John Petrucci. I think their great moments are past.
And I still think Romeo is a better Composer!
Romeo wrote so many songs alone and sometimes got help of Michael Pinnella with the keyboard line, but his classical pieces and his ability to compose immortal music is just incredible, as well as his ability to express every mood he wants, you can see this in THE ODYSSEY, and Symphony X have no mathematical precision?
They have! Furthermore I've the impression that Michael Romeo's rhythm work is far more complex. Just listen to songs like Fallen or Incantations of the Apprentice.
The variety...Symphony X have so many different songs: Whispers, Winter's Dream, Of Sins and Shadows, Accolade,
Orion the Hunter, Fallen, Trascendence, On the Breath of Poseidon, Egypt, Rediscovery ("V" is extremly varied! You have power metal songs, like Evolution/A Fool's Paradise,
different classical pieces, Prelude/Trasendence/the Lacrymosa Part, the solos, math prog metal songs, Fallen/Bird-Serpent War, harmonic soft songs like Comunion and the Oracle, amazing instrumentals, On the Breath of Poseidon/The Death of Balance, and top prog-metal songs like Egypt and rediscovery) and then you have the different tracks on The Odyssey and the long tracks are so varied! So I think they are both very varied on their kind.
Symphony X is not pure power metal...
They have an enormous complexity in their rhythm work
(e.g. Fallen), are very varied and often very original and even far more original than Dream theater, YES, PINK FLOYD!

I don't really see that A Fool's paradise and dressed to kill have the same riff, explain it please.
Smoke and Mirrors has a sweeping solo and?
What's worse about it? If you say that, you could also argue, that EVERY SONG HAS A SOLO, SO THEY ARE UNCREATIVE...
Furthermore there are also Dream Theater songs sounding the same, and Symphony X uses their best songs and create something new, why not if it was successfull.

Edited by dysrhytm
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 12:00
At least now this discussion has gotten a bit less agressive... Its actually quite fun 2 read all this!
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 12:36
Bottom line: Both Petrucci and Romeo should take some lessons in slowing
down and conveying emotions from Clapton, Hendrix, and Scofield.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 12:52

^Are you saying that you cant get emotion into music if you play fast? total BS. I find a lot of emotion in DT and SX songs.

I just have one question, how much influence do Romeo and Petrucci have over the output of their fellow band members 

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 13:00
I'm not saying you can't get emotion out of playing fast but both Romeo and
Petrucci sometimes lose emotion when playing a lot of notes. I am not one
to think that Dream Theater has no emotions (I think they are emotional) but
Petrucci's playing isn't always emotional. I think that Petrucci is much more
emotional than Romeo though, especially in "an evening with..." He also
does a better job with LTE.

I just have one question for you. Do you think that the emotions of Romeo
and Petrucci compare to that of Clapton (early Cream/Bluesbreakers days) or
Hendrix (or in the prog world Steve Hackett or Gilmour)?

Edited by FragileDT
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 13:02
This is a very, very tough call because I'm a huge fan of both Symphony X and Dream Theater.

Petrucci is probably the more versatile of the two--at least from what he's shown on DT recordings. I'd be willing to bet Romeo CAN play in other styles effectively...he just chooses not to. I would appreciate it if Romeo could slow down more often, or show off his acoustic skills, stuff like that.

However, judging from what I've heard of him both with Symphony X and his performance on Ayreon's Universal Migrator, I'd give the technical merit award to Romeo without any question. I've just never heard a guitarist with the kind of precision at high speeds that he has. I never get the feeling that he's doing any kind of random shredding; it all seems planned.

As for control over the output of other members...I don't know this for sure, but I get the distinct feeling that Romeo has more sway with Symphony X than Petrucci does with Dream Theater. In fact, I think Romeo is the source of some of the band's symphonic arrangements and compositions. So the guy's definitely got a composing brain as well as a guitar-playing one. He's also one of their more prominent lyric-writers. I think that if he could just show a little more of what he knows about softer playing styles (and I would NOT recommend Clapton as an example--he's got all the emotion of a machine...better David Gilmour), he could prove himself the True Renaissance Man of the Prog World. :)
TheLamb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 14:12

Originally posted by FragileDT FragileDT wrote:

Bottom line: Both Petrucci and Romeo should take some lessons in slowing
down and conveying emotions from Clapton, Hendrix, and Scofield.

Have you heard "An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess"?

Clapton and Scofield have alot to learn from Petrucci, trust me. If you disagree, just listen to the album ^

FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 14:27
Originally posted by TheLamb TheLamb wrote:

Bottom line: Both Petrucci and
Romeo should take some lessons in slowing down and conveying
emotions from Clapton, Hendrix, and Scofield.

Have you heard "An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess"[/
B]?

Clapton and Scofield have alot to learn from Petrucci, trust me. If you
disagree, just listen to the album ^

Clapton and Scofield has absolutely nothing to learn from Petrucci. Sorry,
they just don't, they're lightyears ahead of him. Please don't bring that up
in front of an accomplished guitarist. They would probably laugh at the
fact that you would say that (just giving you a heads up.) Especially
Clapton. Scofield is a very accomplished jazz musician (who knows all
there is to know about feel, hearing, and theory) but Clapton was one of
the first to play with distortion and he really knew how to control it. You
can't compare Petrucci with Clapton.

I actually have heard An Evening with... and I mentioned that I heard it in
my post. It's a great album and Petrucci plays very well (though the
highlight is Rudess' piano playing.)

I am also one of 4 people that reviewed it on this site. You can check out
my review (it is long and extensive) on the albums page on this site.

Keep in mind that I am a Dream Theater fan. I have all their albums
including LTE and An evening with... (the only Petrucci effort I don't have
is Suspended Animation.) I'm not speaking as a DT hater I'm just speaking
as a guitarist. Petrucci can play fast and with many styles but take
someone like Steve Vai for example. he takes Petrucci's style of playing to
the next level.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
TheLamb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 15:20

Hey I wasn't comparing Clapton to Petrucci. I do think that Petrucci can have just as much influence on Clapton as Clapton did on Petrucci, Only because Petrucci did some things that Clapton didn't think of, it has nothing to do with who I think is a better player. Clapton isn't perfect, he has alot to learn from lots of people and its ridiculous if you say otherwise.

As for Scofield... I have not yet heard anything of his that blew my mind and made me consider him as a "Guitar God". I can't say the same about Petrucci. (and of course Clapton and Hendrix.. It's pretty obvious that they are gods though, isnt it? :P)

TheLamb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 15:23
Originally posted by TheLamb TheLamb wrote:

Hey I wasn't comparing Clapton to Petrucci. I do think that Petrucci can have just as much influence on Clapton as Clapton did on Petrucci, Only because Petrucci did some things that Clapton didn't think of, it has nothing to do with who I think is a better player. Clapton isn't perfect, he has alot to learn from lots of people and its ridiculous if you say otherwise.

As for Scofield... I have not yet heard anything of his that blew my mind and made me consider him as a "Guitar God". I can't say the same about Petrucci, to me he's a guitar god... (and of course Clapton and Hendrix.. It's pretty obvious that they are gods though, isnt it? :P)

Dream Theater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 20:30
John Petrucci by far!
[IMG]http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Images/Travel_Article_Library/Sacred-Travel/Machu-Picchu-350.jpg"> [IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/panchopc1/machupicchu-1.jpg">
Dark Lucidity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 09:12

Quote They simply lack many elements of progressive metal such as complicated song structure, variation, and originality.  How much more do i really need to explain?

Sounds like octavarium...  

ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 10:22

M.r PETRUCCI is peerless !!!

He is a MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 11:11

I'm not saying you can't get emotion out of playing fast but both Romeo and
Petrucci sometimes lose emotion when playing a lot of notes. I am not one
to think that Dream Theater has no emotions (I think they are emotional) but
Petrucci's playing isn't always emotional. I think that Petrucci is much more
does a better job with LTE.

I just have one question for you. Do you think that the emotions of Romeo
and Petrucci compare to that of Clapton (early Cream/Bluesbreakers days) or
Hendrix (or in the prog world Steve Hackett or Gilmour)?

To Gilmour and Hackett, probably not, but hes not as far away from them as some people would have you believe.

Havnt heard enough Clapton or Hendrix to say.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2005 at 00:21
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I'm not saying you can't get
emotion out of playing fast but both Romeo and Petrucci sometimes lose
emotion when playing a lot of notes. I am not one to think that Dream
Theater has no emotions (I think they are emotional) but Petrucci's
playing isn't always emotional. I think that Petrucci is much more
does a better job with LTE. I just have one question for you. Do you think
that the emotions of Romeo and Petrucci compare to that of Clapton
(early Cream/Bluesbreakers days) or Hendrix (or in the prog world Steve
Hackett or Gilmour)?

To Gilmour and Hackett, probably not, but hes not as far away from
them as some people would have you believe.

Havnt heard enough Clapton or Hendrix to say.

Your right he isn't as far as some people would say. Many people say that
Petrucci is emotionless and that is far from the truth.

To the Lamb: I'm sorry I guess I misunderstood you. Simple
misconception.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
dunguinha View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2005 at 00:30

I voted for Petrucci but both are great !!  to them !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567