Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStratovarius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 05:18
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

having a 'classical influence' just isn't enough, and there is a raft of difference between Symph X and Strato in style...

the only difference is the playing ability, symp x have much superior players, but it doesn't make startovarius less prog.
The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scotts as a joke, but the Scotts haven't seen the joke yet.
(Oliver Herford)
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 05:57
^ the depth of the compositions makes Symphony X more prog, among other criteria.

I am sympathetic towards including them as Prog Related ... however, this would indeed mean that we would have to include many more bands, also for example Metallica. Since this is probably not going to happen, I say that we maintain the strict police regarding metal based prog related bands.
bluesynight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 06:49
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ the depth of the compositions makes Symphony X more prog, among other... criteria.

I say that we maintain the strict police regarding metal based prog related bands.

symph x is not more deep, its just more technically complicated. and didnt you told me that playing ability got nothing to do with being prog?
by this site policy, startocvarius is considered as Modern Progressive Power Metal (American Style).

metallica?!? metallica dont have any prog elements, its as thrash as it can get! they define thrash.
The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scotts as a joke, but the Scotts haven't seen the joke yet.
(Oliver Herford)
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 08:33
Originally posted by bluesynight bluesynight wrote:

^ the depth of the compositions makes Symphony X more prog, among other... criteria.

I say that we maintain the strict police regarding metal based prog related bands.

symph x is not more deep, its just more technically complicated. and didnt you told me that playing ability got nothing to do with being prog?
by this site policy, startocvarius is considered as Modern Progressive Power Metal (American Style).

Ok ... you say that SyX compositions aren't more sophisticated than Stratovarius ... I say the contrary. Let's leave it at that.Smile

metallica?!? metallica dont have any prog elements, its as thrash as it can get! they define thrash.

The fact that it's thrash doesn't mean it can't be prog. And especially in the case of Metallica it really depends on the album ... at least IMHO there are many progressive moments to be found on Master of Puppets and And Justice For All.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 08:45

Master of Puppets and And Justice for All contain many prog elements.I consider them almost "proto prog metal".Same with Iron Maiden.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 10:44

Ok ... you say that SyX compositions aren't more sophisticated than Stratovarius ... I say the contrary. Let's leave it at that.Smile

its not what i said, im a big fan of  SX.  they defiantly much more sophisticated then satverius. i just saying that in a way the idea is the same, just worst execution....its power metal with allot of classical influences.

as for metallica...

"and justice for all" had some interesting drumming, but prog? no.

"master of papets".. you need to be more specific, becouse i dont see anything special(beside the fact that its a great thrash album).

ps
im not a satverius fan, but i do think that they deserve to be here.

(Oliver Herford)
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 11:41
Thanks for the responses guys.Thumbs%20Up
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 15:13
Prog moments do not a prog band make. If we were to include Metallica for "prog moments", then I have a myriad of bands with similar prog moments that would make much of the population cringe!

Evil%20Smile

Edited by Avantgardehead - April 14 2008 at 15:14
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 10:06
Add all the bands mentioned in this topic. Evertything is prog-metal or prog-metal-related or proto-prog-metal.
DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 19:42
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

Prog moments do not a prog band make. If we were to include Metallica for "prog moments", then I have a myriad of bands with similar prog moments that would make much of the population cringe!

Evil%20Smile
like radiohead!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 20:26
Originally posted by akin akin wrote:

Add all the bands mentioned in this topic. Evertything is prog-metal or prog-metal-related or proto-prog-metal.

Seeing the "big" body of metal that you have reviewed, it's quite obvious it's not your favorite genre, and it's quite obvious from this wise post you made you actually see it with contempt. Save that great peace of wisdom for yourself please. We can't take so much knowledge in a single sentence.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 20:32
Stratovarius has some prog elements, but not really that much.. the structures of songs are rather typical, the technique is good but it's not the most important element (like in technical metal bands) and what we have is good, melodic power metal with keyboards and long songs. I love the band but my vote would be a resonant NO.

Anyone who says Stratovarius sounds just like Symphony X obviously hasn't heard much Symphony X, and that is a FACT, not an opinion. Opinion is "I like it, you don't". But you can't say, for example, that The Beatles sound just like The Rolling Stones and that is "your opinion" that it is that way... This is no matter of opinions.... Stratovarius doesn't sound at all like Symphony X, a band that plays true and authentic progressive power metal. As does Adagio and Pagan's Mind (which at times borders in classical progressive metal a la DT). 

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 20:35
Originally posted by Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Lohan wrote:

Originally posted by Pafnutij Pafnutij wrote:

No, I dont think you can be power metal and prog  simultaneously.

According to this site...power metal+keyboard solos=prog metal

I wouldn't trust Lindsay Lohan for her knowledge on metal...LOL

You could also say, Lindsay, that "according to this site, Genesis made after 1980= neo prog"...

And that would be as insulting as what you said about the bands in progressive metal.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 03:43
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Stratovarius has some prog elements, but not really that much.. the structures of songs are rather typical, the technique is good but it's not the most important element (like in technical metal bands) and what we have is good, melodic power metal with keyboards and long songs. I love the band but my vote would be a resonant NO.

Anyone who says Stratovarius sounds just like Symphony X obviously hasn't heard much Symphony X, and that is a FACT, not an opinion. Opinion is "I like it, you don't". But you can't say, for example, that The Beatles sound just like The Rolling Stones and that is "your opinion" that it is that way... This is no matter of opinions.... Stratovarius doesn't sound at all like Symphony X, a band that plays true and authentic progressive power metal. As does Adagio and Pagan's Mind (which at times borders in classical progressive metal a la DT). 

Ah, the old my opinion is not an opinion it's a fact arguement. Not seen that one for a few days. Opinions are just that, opinions. If someone hears similarities between Symphony X and Stratovarius (or anyone else for that matter), they are quite entitled to say so.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 03:58
Originally posted by Originally posted by The T Originally posted by The T wrote:

Anyone who says Stratovarius sounds just like Symphony X obviously hasn't heard much Symphony X,

no body said that they sound like sym x, but they do have the same elements. its power metal with allot of classical influence.

Modern Progressive Power Metal (American Style)
In a way these bands revived the music which had sparked the Progressive Metal movement in the 1980s. In the meantime the musical environment had changed a lot, for example neo-classical elements had been made popular by one Yngwie J. Malmsteen. This was influential for most Progressive Metal bands which were rooted in Power Metal.

The following bands can largely be attributed to American Power Metal, although some are borderline to the Eclectic/Mainstream Progressive Metal bands.

(Oliver Herford)
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 04:31
I'm too scared of the 'Metallica haz to be here zomg!' war flaring up for the umpteenth time, so again, I'm going to say we don't give Stratovarius inclusion into the archives. Prog Related at most, but still a no for that section.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 04:59
again with the metallicaSleepy.. what the hell metallica got to do with any thing? 
(Oliver Herford)
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 14:51
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Ah, the old my opinion is not an opinion it's a fact arguement. Not seen that one for a few days. Opinions are just that, opinions. If someone hears similarities between Symphony X and Stratovarius (or anyone else for that matter), they are quite entitled to say so.

Of course there are similarities, which is very different to say they sound the same...

But of course people are entitled to say whatever sounds the same as whetever... As far-fetched as the comparison can be, you're right.

Of course Symphony X shares elements with bands like Stratovarius... both play power metal, the big difference being that the former pley progressive-power metal, the latter traditional straight power metal. What I said is, "Anyone who says Stratovarius sounds just like Symphony X obviously hasn't heard much Symphony X," . One thing is sharing elements.. Another sounding the same.

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 14:56
Originally posted by Ty1020 Ty1020 wrote:

Yeah, but it's pretty much universally accepted that the inclusion of Nightwish on this site is a mistake and they aren't a prog band, so using them as a reason to include other bands doesn't make much sense.

Except for the PM team who voted them to be here....Confused
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 14:57
Stratovarius is on a prog metal compilation I have, but I wouldn't say they are much more than not-exactly-the-same power metal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>