FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedmy suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: my suggestion
    Posted: August 27 2004 at 12:09
i think there should be a forum to talk about musical instruments and equipment.

and there should also be a thread about message board members music and poetry and art etc...
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2004 at 12:33

We have had some threads on instruments, but a geeks corner would be good. 

I'm all for it.  

I was trying to get a tab pool started too. Aside from a couple ELP tabs, they are hard to find. Even a chord/lyric file would be awesome!

Edited by danbo
The Prognaut View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2004 at 15:42

I'm for it too. We've been discussing about those topics, but never in a way Danbo here proposes. The threads may be scattered all over the forums though!

break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2004 at 01:58

I am all for that- I've never been able to find decent Yes tabs either. I also can't seem to get a perfect Fripp lead tone- check out my attempt:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jamesnkt/sitebuildercontent/siteb uilderfiles/mystarless%20-%20intro.mp3

using: Reverend Rocco with stock (discontinued original) humbuckers, original Crybaby, Boss FZ-2 Hyperfuzz, and a POD (1.0).

(please don't mind the clumsy drums)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2004 at 11:21
Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

I  Reverend Rocco with stock (discontinued original) humbuckers,

Great job James. I've been searching for the tab.... Grrrr!

Do you have a photo of your Rocco? I searched the Reverend web-site and got a serious case of the drools. You nailed that Fripp tone.

Tell us about the mellotron backing track. The drum sound was okay.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2004 at 17:39

my three electric planks: (Rocco, bass, and my long-suffering Strat)

the mellotron was 100% fake...I used Sonar with a freeware VST plug-in called "Tapeworm" and EQ'd it until I was close enough. The chords on the intro part are almost right, but I can't quite make out the inversions once the guitar comes in.

I was going to do the whole song but without sax skills my options are limited to samples (eewww...) or actually finding a sax player (hmmm...). I can do a passable John Wetton imitation, though

Edited by James Lee
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2004 at 18:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2004 at 21:27

Beautiful axes, master James! The drool continues to drip. Did you lacquer the stickers on the strat? I have that same Live Animals sticker on my locker at work. I'll have to take a photo of my pedestrian collection. Love that Rocco!

I don't play out, only with myself, so I never bought anything bigger than a little Fender 15 watt practice amp and a ZOOM 707 effects pedal. Just enough to annoy the family.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 09:02

Mmm - a guitar gallery!

Haven't got these online yet, but my little guitar collection comprises;

1) Tatra classical guitar (nylon strings) that I bought brand new in 1976 for £20

2) Satellite Fender Precision copy, sunburst, complete with both hoods. Looks good, never could get the thing in tune...

3) Westone Thunder 1A, black. I LOVE this guitar!!! Holds its tune perfectly, has the perfect neck width - slightly wider than a strat, but narrower than a Les Paul, incredibly low action (OK, I tweaked it...) and the active circuitry - my favourite part of which is the coil splitter, which renders the twin humbuckers into single coils. The range of different sounds I can get out of this guitar means that I've never really lusted after anything else.

4) Ovation acoustic (can't remember model number...).

5) Yamaha classical guitar (don't know too much about this one, as I rarely get it out of its case. I inherited it...).

6) Fender Katana bass. My main axe. A metalheadz dream - out Rickys a Ricky, soudwise. Looks like a flying V with one of the wings cut off, or a Randy Rhodes style Jackson. They've got a cult following...

http://www.strat-central.com/katana.htm

M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2004 at 20:39
Great Forum Suggestion Guys !!!!
Prog On !
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2004 at 12:23

FAO James Lee - Regarding mellotron sounds - your using sonar, so just go for G-Media's super M-Tron vst instrument. If you're using sonar 3.0 you can host the m-tron and as far as I know they now do a standalone version anyway. It rocks!!! and their are three or four tape banks available. It's cheap too - abhout £30 sterling.

Also check out their ImpOscar version of the old Oscar synth from the early 80s. It's astounding!! Though Native Instruments' Pro-53 is similarly fab

I'm currently working with a bunch of stuff. Pentium 4 3ghz, 1gig ram, cubase sx, monitored through a roland vs2840 and alesis active monitors

native instruments b4 (hammond), g-media imposcar, a great rhodes sample in reason and some cheesy string synth downloads, a roland jv1010 with vintage keys card for keyboards

garritan personal orchestra for strings overload

guitars: fender tele, a bunch of honher strat copies (which kick ass) and epiphone g1275 double neck 6 &12, a vintage amg1 resonator, a tanglewood 12 string acoustic, a yamaha fg365se elecrto-acoustic 6 string and a yamaha sa245 classical and cimar and hohner basses

too many toys - not enough techno- savvy, hence zero productivity - DOH!

anyone looking for advice help suggestions and free downloads of vast instruments effects etc should check out kvr-vst.com it is a fantastic resource. Also the people at betamonkeymusic.com have the best rock drum samples I've heard and they're cheap and Chris is a nice guy. They're also soon to bring out some weird timing samples specifically for prog.

Hope this is of help

5 minute solo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2004 at 16:02

peavey classical acoustic guitar, squier precision bass, squier fat strat (completely buggered) and on the 14th of october a brand spanking new gibson SG special.

41 days and counting

You want the spoon? You can't handle the spoon!
onslo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 12:11
i've got a natural Epiphone ES335 (Dot) (pictured below), a black Squier Strat and a classical guitar by Alhambra handmade in Spain.
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 12:24

Just needed to vent- I HATE SONAR!!!! Why must it make the simplest tasks so difficult...and also make a simple wayward click able to wreak so much havoc? Just once I'd like to just cut and paste a section without having to go around and clean up the mess (especially those pesky hidden duplicate notes!). I'd actually be missing Cubase...if only Cubase would play nice with my PC and soundcard...the latency just plain stinks.

Sigh. Back in the Pentium 2 days I used Voyetra's Digital Orchestrator...and that was such a simple joy to work with, even though the digital audio quality wasn't great. It's just so hard to resist plug-in FX (especially the free ones!), and nearly impossible for me to work without virtual instruments now.

When I was a little mulletheaded youngster I used a little Radio Shack cassette recorder with a built-in condenser mic. If I wanted to overdub I'd have to play the first tape on my stereo (also a 'quality' Radio Shack product...that's Tandy to you folks overseas), record another track on the portable and live with the noise...I still have a few of those tapes somewhere; everytime I get angry with my software I should pull them out and compare the results.

Hmm, I feel better. This sure beats breaking stuff!

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 13:19

What you need is Acid

Sonar is good for final tweaks and mixdowns, but Acid is better by far for multitrack recording, and I use Magix (horrible name, but dirt cheap and a very useful tool) for when I need to do loads of cut/copy paste operations, because Acid can be a pain.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 02:23

Acid is great for recording (zero monitoring latency for me) and plug-in effects do unexpectedly wonderful things sometimes- when they work at all. I have a little trouble with detailed MIDI editing in Acid, though. I like to be able to get in and tweak each note position by a few ticks 18,000 times until I give up in frustration . But for some reason, the exact same audio file seems to sound better in Acid than anything else- why would that be? The same tracks also seems to sound a little better in Cubase than Sonar.

Music software is like MMORPG's...take the best bits of each one and you might have one decent program.

I know many people who swear by Fruity Loops- I can't stand working with it, personally. Reason never did much for me either, which is too bad because it has lots of killer features. I liked Logic a lot, but software that requires serious learning just to get a basic track sounding right is a little scary.

My basic criteria for a music app is: how quickly can I open it up and record something before I lose the inspiration (or in Cubase's case, the will to live)?

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 12:11

Hmmm a DAW debate. Cubase v Sonar v Reason v etc etc

Reason - great for some sequencing and drum editing etc as a Rewire but crucially no audio!! But i love its reverb, it's cool

as for the rest, i like drum programming in fruity loops for some bizarre reason but wouldn't bother with it for anything else. Cubase SX I'm using but it lile all the other major DAWs is complicated and i'm thick soooo...

I'll either entrust all the engineering end to my much more techno-friendly mate or else for quick and dirty recording (and i can't recommend this highly enough) I'll go with Traktion. It's cheap, incredibly cheerful, has the best workflow you can find and supports pretty much everything (rewire, vsts etc) It also has a freeze function, which took most of the big budget DAWs ages to incorporate.

I guarantee you will have a track up and running in Tracktion in 10 minutes.

All this for 80 odd bucks! Can't go wrong. It's the computer equivalent of having a tape deck and a tandy mic.

Check it out at http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion/ and www.tracktionfaction.com

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 07:43
OK, OK - I have to jump in here.

I have been trying to resist, as some of the older members have seen all this before, but as we now have a dedicated instruments section.........

1971 Hammond L122 through a Leslie 145 - I'll see if I can get a piccie on the board

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 14:22
sweet! Not too convenient for road trips, but an awe-inspiring sound I'm sure
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 02:59