Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTales of Mystery.., I Robot, & Pyramid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tales of Mystery.., I Robot, & Pyramid
    Posted: November 27 2005 at 15:44

Alan Parsons and 'The Alan Parsons Project'. For most; it was "Dark Side of the Moon". For me; it was, "I Robot". I will never forget the first time I heard this. I was in a record store. It was 1977. I was blown away!!

Make no mistake. I love "Dark Side of the Moon". But; "I Robot" floored me. It still does, too! It was after my purchase of "I Robot", that I first heard, "Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe". And; this was actually 'The Alan Parsons Project's' first release (1976). Wow!! Then; in 1978, Alan Parsons released, "Pyramid". Fantastic!!

Talk about 3 perfect albums in a row! I love 'em!!

Mentioning these 3 by Alan Parsons, can make one think about 3 in a row that Pink Floyd did...

"Dark Side Of The Moon", "Wish You Were Here", and "Animals". A great trio as well!!  

And; as most know, Alan Parsons was an engineer in the studio when Pink Floyd was putting together, "Dark Side Of The Moon".

Edited by Greg H.
- Greg
antibiotic View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 19:31
May I ask, along with your King Crimson thread, what exactly is the purpose of your post? It's just that threads like this (that, 1: have the same topic and 2: hold absolutely no value) keep coming up over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. It's nice to know that APP blew you away in '77, but really dude, who cares?
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 19:52

Originally posted by antibiotic antibiotic wrote:

May I ask, along with your King Crimson thread, what exactly is the purpose of your post? It's just that threads like this (that, 1: have the same topic and 2: hold absolutely no value) keep coming up over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. It's nice to know that APP blew you away in '77, but really dude, who cares?

Maybe he just wanted to discuss one of his favorite bands. What does you griping about other people achieve? Courtesy, while optional, helps.

ElwoodHerring View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 20:02
to Alan Parsons from me

Don't forget Eve, Turn of a Friendly Card (with possibly the best Parsons song "Time"), Eye in the Sky, Stereotomy, Freudiana...   all good stuff.
[IMG]http://www.herring.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DRMkillb.JPG">
Right the Copyright Wrongs (Bill Thompson's BBC blog - essential reading!)
antibiotic View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 20:51
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

Maybe he just wanted to discuss one of his favorite bands. What does you griping about other people achieve? Courtesy, while optional, helps.

Perhaps a future member who sees my post will sign up and NOT post yet another In The Court Of The Crimson King thread and repeat basically the exact same thing that has been posted countless times already. Courtesy helps, I understand, but going around in circles saying/reading the exact same thing over and over again becomes a little frustrating, don't you think? I mean, if the posts offered something new and/or interesting (factually or perspective) on the titles in question, I would have no problem at all. But really, who doesn't know that Alan Parsons was the engineer for the DSTOM sessions? Even people not into prog know this stuff.

I also don't have a problem if he just wants to discuss his favourite bands, after all, this is one of the purposes of what the forum is for. But wouldn't it be wiser to find the thread in which they are being discussed and do it there? This way you don't end up with 30 King Crimson threads repeating the same thing.
`Ubu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 21:02
bla bla bla ..
"..So what´s the speed of dark?.."
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 00:51

Perhaps a future member who sees my post will sign up and NOT post yet another In The Court Of The Crimson King thread and repeat basically the exact same thing that has been posted countless times already. Courtesy helps, I understand, but going around in circles saying/reading the exact same thing over and over again becomes a little frustrating, don't you think? I mean, if the posts offered something new and/or interesting (factually or perspective) on the titles in question, I would have no problem at all. But really, who doesn't know that Alan Parsons was the engineer for the DSTOM sessions? Even people not into prog know this stuff.

I also don't have a problem if he just wants to discuss his favourite bands, after all, this is one of the purposes of what the forum is for. But wouldn't it be wiser to find the thread in which they are being discussed and do it there? This way you don't end up with 30 King Crimson threads repeating the same thing.

What's your point Antibiotic?

I absolutely care for the opinions expressed by Greg H, may agree or disagree, but this forum was created to talk with freedom about our favorite Progressive Rock bands.

Probably he could have searched for other thread, but he's a newbie, and maybe most of us are not as brilliant as you, but that's not the most offensive part of your distasteful post.

You say his opinion has no value, and that's not only offensive, pedant but also false, people here care for what other members say.

If you don't like this thread, there are many others in which you can give your opinion.

Iván

lunaticviolist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 01:25
As a matter of fact, this thread has actually inspired me to check out these releases.  I haven't heard much Alan Parsons.
My recent purchases:
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 20:34
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

What's your point Antibiotic?

I absolutely care for the opinions expressed by Greg H, may agree or disagree, but this forum was created to talk with freedom about our favorite Progressive Rock bands.

Probably he could have searched for other thread, but he's a newbie, and maybe most of us are not as brilliant as you, but that's not the most offensive part of your distasteful post.

You say his opinion has no value, and that's not only offensive, pedant but also false, people here care for what other members say.

If you don't like this thread, there are many others in which you can give your opinion.

Iván

Given where this thread was posted, it seems highly appropriate to discuss Alan Parsons. Afterall, that is what you do in this section. I, myself, have started threads similar to this one discussing Arena, ELP,Peter Hammill  and Ayreon's The Human Equation. Topics get repeated. Try being here as long as Ivan or I have and then you'll understand the true meaning of repeated topics. Its just a fact of life on this forum so you had best get used to it. To be honest, this present topic really hasn't been well covered, so I'll weigh in on my opinion.

I have always felt APP started out quite strong with Tales...(5 star masterpiece) and a very good follow up with I Robot(4 stars). After that they started to slide down hill. Pyramid still gets 3 stars but everything that followed was, at best 2 stars. Ammonia Avenue deserves 1.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 21:01

ha hah hah ha damn right.

Love all three of those albums,  especially Tales of Mystery and Imagination.  Then again I've always been a fan of EAP.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Alagithil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 21:06

Everyone, get off each other's backs, please. The poster could have composed his post slightly more ably, but his heart was in the right place. Antibiotic did have a point, but he could have been less aggressive about it. And you all came to the poster's defense, but a little too eagerly. In conclusion, you're all right, now stop it.

I should really check out some Alan Parsons, but there always seems to be some weird funk number that spoils it. If I want funk, I'll take that, but not on an art-rock album. I guess I should be less touchy. Any recommendations?

Life is like an avantgarde play because tuna.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 21:11
Originally posted by Alagithil Alagithil wrote:

Everyone, get off each other's backs, please. The poster could have composed his post slightly more ably, but his heart was in the right place. Antibiotic did have a point, but he could have been less aggressive about it. And you all came to the poster's defense, but a little too eagerly. In conclusion, you're all right, now stop it.

I should really check out some Alan Parsons, but there always seems to be some weird funk number that spoils it. If I want funk, I'll take that, but not on an art-rock album. I guess I should be less touchy. Any recommendations?

Funk?

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
roaryg View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 21:23
I guess this means that once every album by every band has been reviewed
and-or discussed the bbs will go silent.

Thank goodness, no more Trick of the Tail reviews.
Tim
FM, Nash the Slash, Camel
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 21:36
  1. Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Almost a masterpiece, brilliant and presented a new promisse of Prog Rock
  2. I Robot: Still great, but less melodic, a bit cold, but also a great addition for ant Prog Rock collection.
  3. Pyramid: The opposite of I Robot, melodic, with oriental influences, wasrm and excellent production, even when less Prog oriented, still a great addition.

The rest is  AOR in the best scenario, probably just POP.

Iván

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 21:39
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

1. Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Almost a masterpiece, brilliant and presented a new promisse of Prog Rock
  2. I Robot: Still great, but less melodic, a bit cold, but also a great addition for ant Prog Rock collection.
  3. Pyramid: The opposite of I Robot, melodic, with oriental influences, wasrm and excellent production, even when less Prog oriented, still a great addition.

The rest is  AOR in the best scenario, probably just POP.

Iván

as always Ivan you are on the mark.  though ha hahah....ALMOST a masterpiece,  you do have high standards.
 Post Reply Post Reply