Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBand Biographies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 15:58
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Biogs required for the following Prog Related bands/artists:
Band Country Bio Pic Reviews Albums
BOFFO, JEAN-PASCAL France n y y y
FLIGHT 09 Uzbekistan y y y y
HORIZONT (SWE) Sweden y y n y
KAMPMAN, ERIC United States n y n y
KREUZWEG Germany n n n y
MĹNS MOSSA Sweden n n n y
OM ART FORMATION Bulgaria n n n y
PERKELE Finland n n n y
SURPRISE United States n n y y
SYNOPSIS Estonia n n y y
TIRED TREE Sweden n n y y
TRIANGULUS Sweden n n y y
WALRUS Japan n n y y
WHITE United Kingdom n y y y

Pablo's White Bio added Clap thanks Pablo

(do people any thoughts/objections on merging it with Alan White's solo entry in Xover?)

...I think that's as much as we're going to be able to do for now.

Took care of the bio for Estonian act Synopsis, as well as a picture.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 16:22
We have checked the first 90 Symphonic bands with the new Moving Puictures 07 and Tszirmay and found that several bios must be done again.

With the  the previous members we made sure that no bands were left without bio (less than 5 are missing) but now we must do again the terrible ones, then the mediocre and at last those we believe are not enough.

We will priorize well known bands with lots of info that were added with a crappy bio, for example Ange has an acceptable bio (not enough because the huge info availlable), but Movimgpictures07 gooogled the fitrst phrase of the bio

Quote Formed in late 1969 by brothers Christian Descamps (vocals) and Francis Descamps (keyboards) and later joined by guitarist Jean-Michel Brézovar, bassist Daniel Haas and Gérard Jelsh on drums, this French symphonic progressive rock band, similar to contemporaries such as Genesis and King Crimson, is undoubtedly France’s most important prog band.

And found that 55 sites have the exact same words, I believe all are copied from us, but we can't keep this bio anymore, specially because most blogs credit Wikipedia. Dead

We found several copied some really awfull and a lot of mediocre ones, we have around 35 bands from the first 90 to be done again.

We will try to ask the help of the members who are familiar with some of them and/or contact the band, the rest, as usual will have to be done by us.

There are also some bands without photos in which w placed the most popular album, but we will ask your help again to find any photo.

The websites are another issue, most of the bands missing links, don't have a website, and that's beyond our control.

Lots of work ahead.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 03 2009 at 16:38

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 16:33
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Biogs required for the following Prog Related bands/artists:
Band Country Bio Pic Reviews Albums
BOFFO, JEAN-PASCAL France n y y y
FLIGHT 09 Uzbekistan y y y y
HORIZONT (SWE) Sweden y y n y
KAMPMAN, ERIC United States n y n y
KREUZWEG Germany n n n y
MĹNS MOSSA Sweden n n n y
OM ART FORMATION Bulgaria n n n y
PERKELE Finland n n n y
SURPRISE United States n n y y
SYNOPSIS Estonia n n y y
TIRED TREE Sweden n n y y
TRIANGULUS Sweden n n y y
WALRUS Japan n n y y
WHITE United Kingdom n y y y

Pablo's White Bio added Clap thanks Pablo

(do people any thoughts/objections on merging it with Alan White's solo entry in Xover?)

...I think that's as much as we're going to be able to do for now.

Took care of the bio for Estonian act Synopsis, as well as a picture.
Clap Thanks Olav.

Perkele were eliminated from the database.
What?
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2009 at 12:49

So, all bands from Czech Republic have bio, if you can accept this.

Quote Stromboli was Czech art rock group mixed with fusion of different styles. Founded in 1986 by guitarist (of Pražský výběr fame), Michal Pavlíček, who already was in many bands and projects. They were characteristical by high vocal of singer Bára Basiková (who later pursued successfull, more pop oriented career). Bass guitar was played by Jiří Veselý. Later on, lineup was quite unstable (drums/percussion played by Klaudius Kryšpín of Pražský výběr fame and Jan Seidl, keyboards by Vendula Kašpárková and Roman Dragoun). Guest (and responsible person for their probably well known song "Ó hory, hory") player was Vilém Čok (again of Pražský výběr). They released two studio albums, Stromboli (in 1987) and from prog point of view worse, Shutdown (1989) + Best of & Shutdown played with music composed for a string quartet. 

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2326

Sorry to have it so short, but there's not much info around on internet to be found. Only one is short article on wikipedia (Czech), just four lines, so I've added few things (like that Michal Pavlíček was present in many projects and bands), this kind of things.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2009 at 15:50
An updated and spell-checked version of my older Devin Townsend bio:

DEVIN TOWNSEND, possibly more widely known as the frontman for the extreme metal act STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, began creating solo albums in 1997.

Sometimes referred to as the “Mad Scientist of Metal,” TOWNSEND produces a wide variety of music, all the way from soft ambiance designed, as he has stated, to put the listener to sleep, to high levels of thrash and extreme metal reminiscent of SYL.
His works often feature a "wall of sound," built by adding many layers of guitars and keyboards that are playing in unison or harmony. The end result are a number of carefully produced and mixed albums that favor high-end sound systems.

His first solo album, "Ocean Machine: Biomech" (1997), was actually originally simply titled "Biomech" and the band project labeled OCEAN MACHINE. However, on subsequent releases in most countries, the one-shot band name was incorporated into the title, and TOWNSEND's name was affixed to the record. Following the release of that came his first solo album proper, 1998's "Infinity." However, diagnosed with bipolar disorder and suffering with severe depression, TOWNSEND left the album only partly finished, filling in the song gaps with other demos. Rebounding from this struggle, he wrote "Physicist" in 2000, creating a sort of pop-metal release featuring the members of his band STRAPPING YOUNG LAD. His 2001 project, "Terria," features some of his most complicated and deep production, incorporating many sounds from nature into the recording, and stands as one of his most well-known and most critically acclaimed albums.

His next solo project, THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND, began in 2003 with the release of "Accelerated Evolution." Adding drummer Ryan Van Poederooyen, guitarist Brian Waddell, bassist Mike Young, and keyboardist Dave Young, TOWNSEND decided to start releasing albums once more with a full-time band rather than merely studio musicians. Taking a dramatic turn from the style of "Terria," TOWNSEND adopted a much more band-oriented feel, reducing the amount of atmosphere and increasing the level of accessibility of the music.

As a side project during this time, TOWNSEND stitched together the fierce ambient "Devlab" album in 2004. The line-up of THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND continued for several as a functional touring outfit. The collaboration concluded with the 2006 album "Synchestra"--though this release marked the first time the same lineup had been present for two albums in a row. That same year, he released "The Hummer," another ambient piece similar to but gentler than "Devlab." Not much later, he broke up THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND, intending to take an indefinite leave from touring. In 2007, however, he created "Ziltoid The Omniscient" as an entirely solo record, going so far as to even program the drums and mix the album himself.

Following the post-“Ziltoid” hiatus, he returned rather dramatically to the music production scene. TOWNSEND began planning and creating a four album concept called the DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT. The PROJECT debuted in the summer of 2009 with the album “Ki,” a release that featured returning DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND keyboardist Dave Young, long-time studio drummer Duris Maxwell (who is most notable for playing with HEART and JEFFERSON AIRPLANE), and the bassist from a local BEATLES tribute band named Jean Savoie. “Ki” represents a massive stylistic shift as TOWNSEND creates a heavy sound mostly devoid of distortion and wild drums, commonly his trademarks. The second part of the series, “Addicted,” is set for a November 2009 release. This time around, TOWNSEND brought in (returning DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND) drummer Ryan van Poederooyen and bassist Mark Waddell, throwing in Mark Cimono on guitars. Also, many of the vocals on the release are performed by Anneke van Giersbergen (of THE GATHERING and AYREON fame). The final two albums of the PROJECT are slated to be released in 2010. TOWNSEND plans to tour in 2010 as well, having changed his mind about playing live since his 2006 declaration of studio-only work.

In addition to his solo efforts and work with STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, DEVIN TOWNSEND is a highly talented producer, with his production talents featuring on albums by artists ranging from LAMB OF GOD, SOILWORK and BECOMING THE ARCHETYPE, to name a few. Furthermore, he has added vocals to projects such as AYREON and STEVE VAI.

WHY THIS ARTIST IS INCLUDED IN PA:
DEVIN TOWNSEND is a well known and musically significant member of the progressive metal scene.

Edited by LiquidEternity - October 13 2009 at 15:51
LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 15:19
Bump?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2009 at 16:41
Crossover Bands needing Bios if anyone is interested in helping out:

AUTOGRAPH (AVTOGRAF / AUTOGRAF) Russia
KEDAMA Switzerland
KINZOKUEBISU Japan
LEVIATHAN (USA 70S) USA
LIFE Sweden
OLIVER UK
PYE FYTE USA
QANGO UK
RĹG I RYGGEN Sweden
RAMSES Germany
RAVANA Norway
ROCKENFIELD / SPEER USA
ROSE Canada
RUNNER UK
SAMMELSURIUM Germany
SCHIZOPHONIA Switzerland
SONUS UMBRA Mexico
TITUS GROAN UK
TRIBUTE Sweden
TWEEN DECK 2 Sweden
URBANE, THE UK
VIOLENT SILENCE Sweden
ZARG Brazil

Edited by Dean - March 15 2010 at 08:46
What?
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2009 at 17:30

I'll gladly do Autograph if there are no takers.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2009 at 17:36
Thumbs Up
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2009 at 18:17
I could give Pye Fyte a shot

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2009 at 18:18
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Long ago I promised to Eugene (Fassbinder) to write Autograph bio, I even started it, but it's still unfinished. I think I should keep my promise. Wait until the end of the world several days, guys. Smile

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 12:47
Don't know where this should go but for info -

THe THe Way we Live Bio says

Although their Tractor album will not be included on the Archives for they are of little interest for progheads, their debut album The Way We Live is definitely a charming fusion of Indian-laced psychedelic folk and hard rock.

And The Tractor Bio says

Tractor's music is an exciting mixture of British psychedelia, folk, and heavy rock. Highly recommended for the fans of the said genres!
followed by reviws of said album.

LOL
Help me I'm falling!
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2010 at 16:37
I've noticed that THE SYN has no bio.... so I wrote one:

The Syn was one of the first bands in the London early prog scene and its history is intimately related to YES' origin and therefore it was fundamental to the development of prog. Originally, the band was formed by school mates Steve Nardelli (lead vocals) and John Painter (guitar) around 1965, playing R&B covers.

The Syn was later joined by the members of a band called THE SELFS comprised by Chris Squire (bass), Andrew Jackman (keyboards) and Martyn Adelman (drums). Shortly afer, original guitarist Painter was replaced by Peter Banks and Martyn Adelman left to be replaced by Icelandic Gunnar Hákonarson behind the drums.

The addition of two new members changed the direction of the band. Instead of playing R&B covers they started to write their own psychedelic oriented pieces, releasing two singles (Created by Clive and Flowerman) in 1967 and becoming one of the first bands (if not the first) to perform a rock opera on stage. The band became a regular at the Marquee club in London and got to open for JIMI HENDRIX on one of his historic concerts.

In 1967 the band disbanded and Chris Squire together with Peter Banks left to form Mabel Greer's Toyshop which will later evolve into Yes' first incarnation.

In 2003, 36 years after disbanding the band, Adelman, Nardelli and Banks started to plan a reunion. In 2005 the lineup formed by Paul Stacey(guitars), Gerard Johnson (keyboards), Steve Nardelli (vocals),Jeremy Stacey (drums) and Chris Squire (bass, backing vocals) released the first studio album of the band "Syndestructible".

After the release an tour of "Syndestructible", Nardelli took over the THE SYN name and recruited Francis Dunnery (guitars) and Tom Brislin (keyboards), the last one having played with other classic prog acts such as Camel and Yes. This lineup released "Big Sky" in early 2009 with the collaboration of Brett Kull, Paul Ramsey and Dorie Jackson.

Studio Discography:
"Syndestructible" 2005
"Big Sky" 2009

The overall sound of "Syndestructible" will appeal to modern YES and Chris Squire fans, since the style is very reminiscent to recent YES (specially Rabin era) and CONSPIRACY. On the other hand "Big Sky" has moved to a more original sound but is still close to YES.

Highly recommended to Chris Squire and mellow prog fans.

Michael (AKA ProgressiveAttic)

Edited by ProgressiveAttic - March 14 2010 at 12:28
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 04:16

I've done pleasant one, Taproban:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1258

Quote Formed in 1996 in Rome, Italy
by drummer Fabio Mociatti, keyboardist Gianluca De Rossi, singer Paolo Cedrone
and bassist Stefano Proietti. The group's name is from Taprobana, the ancient name for island in Indian Ocean, probably Ceylon(Sri-Lanka). Main influences were 70's British bands like Genesis, Gentle Giant and King Crimson. They recorded a two demos, meanwhile changing drummer position for Valter Strappolini and bassist-guitarist Roberto Pizzi. Their new sounds however reminded this of a ELP with prominent keyboards. Because of lack of enthusiasm, the band became inactive for two years till reuniting in 2001 with yet another reforming, with Davide Guidoni on drums/percussions and Guglielmo Mariotti on bass, both having experience with playing in bands from past.

They released three quite good studio albums by far and contributed to several Collosus Project albums (7 Samurai, Spaghetti Epic) with long compositions. The band is not active at the moment, members concentrated on their own projects.

Written by Martin M. (Marty McFly)

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 04:45
Originally posted by clarke2001

Originally posted by NotAProghead

Long ago I promised to Eugene (Fassbinder) to write Autograph bio, I even started it, but it's still unfinished. I think I should keep my promise. Wait until the end of the world several days, guys. Smile

I looks the process is stucked a little bitLOL?

Does something happens with this, or I just can write it ?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 05:28
Maybe you can share the notes and do it as collaboration then.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 12:33
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

The Syn was one of the first bands in the London early prog scene and its history is intimately related to YES' origin and therefore it was fundamental to the development of prog. Originally, the band was formed by school mates Steve Nardelli (lead vocals) and John Painter (guitar) around 1965, playing R&B covers.

The Syn was later joined by the members of a band called THE SELFS comprised by Chris Squire (bass), Andrew Jackman (keyboards) and Martyn Adelman (drums). Shortly afer, original guitarist Painter was replaced by Peter Banks and Martyn Adelman left to be replaced by Icelandic Gunnar Hákonarson behind the drums.

The addition of two new members changed the direction of the band. Instead of playing R&B covers they started to write their own psychedelic oriented pieces, releasing two singles (Created by Clive and Flowerman) in 1967 and becoming one of the first bands (if not the first) to perform a rock opera on stage. The band became a regular at the Marquee club in London and got to open for JIMI HENDRIX on one of his historic concerts.

In 1967 the band disbanded and Chris Squire together with Peter Banks left to form Mabel Greer's Toyshop which will later evolve into Yes' first incarnation.

In 2003, 36 years after disbanding the band, Adelman, Nardelli and Banks started to plan a reunion. In 2005 the lineup formed by Paul Stacey(guitars), Gerard Johnson (keyboards), Steve Nardelli (vocals),Jeremy Stacey (drums) and Chris Squire (bass, backing vocals) released the first studio album of the band "Syndestructible".

After the release an tour of "Syndestructible", Nardelli took over the THE SYN name and recruited Francis Dunnery (guitars) and Tom Brislin (keyboards), the last one having played with other classic prog acts such as Camel and Yes. This lineup released "Big Sky" in early 2009 with the collaboration of Brett Kull, Paul Ramsey and Dorie Jackson.

Studio Discography:
"Syndestructible" 2005
"Big Sky" 2009

The overall sound of "Syndestructible" will appeal to modern YES and Chris Squire fans, since the style is very reminiscent to recent YES (specially Rabin era) and CONSPIRACY. On the other hand "Big Sky" has moved to a more original sound but is still close to YES.

Is the bio OK or should I change something?
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 12:56
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Originally posted by NotAProghead

I looks the process is stucked a little bitLOL?

Does something happens with this, or I just can write it ?

Slava, if you're in the mood to do it, please do it Smile. I remember my promise, but my thoughts now are far from Autograf.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 13:05

Studio Discography:
"Syndestructible" 2005
"Big Sky" 2009

Is the bio OK or should I change something?

Thanks Michael!  I added the Bio.  Smile

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 13:46
Bio written and added and a better picture found for Leviathan
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/