Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBand Biographies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 07:24
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

TWILIGHT done!

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2317

Darn the photo comes out like a booklet tho.... may have to update later or someone else can

Here you are Scott:

Smile

Or as separate pics:

and

Thumbs Up
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 07:30
Dave! Damn you are good!

TRIANGULUS done and dusted too

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2239

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 19 2014 at 08:11
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 07:31
Twilight pic updated.... better now I thinks!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 08:04
THONK bonked!

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=915
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 08:08

[QUOTE=AtomicCrimsonRush] Original list of artists needing bios written

Artists without Bios
BANDS WITHOUT DESCRIPTION

BANDS WITHOUT DESCRIPTION

Bairy, Herbert F

Braun Band, Chris

Camera

Cellutron & The Invisible

Cosmic Debris

Cucumber Farmer

Day Shift

Dreamworld

Drosselbart

Dschinn

Dull Knife

Electric Mud

Elicoide

Eternidad

Fireclan

Framework

Gash

Golden Avatar

Good Authority

Gravestone

Grits

Gurnemanz

Instant Flight

Ion Quest

Jonathan

Knitting by Twilight

Kreuzweg

Kroko

Kujakuon

Life

Limbus 3 & 4

Lokomotive Kreuzberg

Magma

Mathematicians

Moby Trip

Moore, Steve

Mundi Domini

Neal, Ian

Nu & Apa Neagra

Oryzhein

Panta Rei

Panta Rhei

Pantheon

Paranoise

Pictures

Platitude

Poseidon

Pseu

PTS

Pulse Emitter

Pye Fyte

Radiomobel

Radius

Rainy Season

Ramses

Ritmia

Rockenfield / Speer

Roots Of Echo, The

Rose

Salamander

Sammelsurium

Scarlet Thread

Schizophonia

seesselberg

Silent Exile

Silver Apples

Sombre Reptile

Sonic Debris

South Of No North

Strange Days

Tanned Leather

Thonk

Triangle

Triangulus

Tunefish

Twilight

U I Blue

Udraya

Ulenspiegel

Under The Big Tree

Violence Fog

WILL work on some others this weekend hopefully

An update

Still get these ones to complete

Bairy, Herbert F

Mathematicians

Moby Trip

Moore, Steve

Mundi Domini

Nu & Apa Neagra

Oryzhein

Panta Rei

Panta Rhei

Pantheon

Platitude

Pye Fyte

Radiomobel

Rainy Season

Ritmia

Rockenfield / Speer

Roots Of Echo, The

Salamander

Scarlet Thread

Schizophonia

Silent Exile

Silver Apples

Sonic Debris

Thats 23 left to complete... should be easy enough thanks to all the info on this thread

g'night!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 19 2014 at 08:10
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 08:21
Herbert F. Bairy was a very recent addition to the site - why are people still just adding the artists without completing the bio? - Especially when I gave enough info to do at least a brief job of it in the original suggestion thread from December last year: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=96161&PID=4900118#4900118. Ermm

Herbert F. Bairy
A new discovery, not in the original book, and an excellent cross-culture fusion from an unknown Krautrock underground talent.
Herbert F. Bairy (percussion, drums, piano, windharp, zither, harmonium, voice, sounds), + Manfred Kniel (percussion, drums), Jürgen Bräuninger (synthesizer, sounds), Georg Heinen (dilruba, tamboura), Martin Klenk (cello), Bernd Konrad (clarinets, soprano sax, flutes), Michael Körber (voice), Dietburg Spohr (voice), Rob Terstall (guitars, bass), Thomas Stabenow (basses), Ulli Süsse (organ), Dizzy Pandtli (tabla), Frédéric Rabold (horn), Rudolf Reindl (trumpets), Jeff Beer (synthesizer, bass, drums, guitars, voice, harmonium, percussion), Jeanette McLeod (voice), Michael Weilers (guitars)
TRAUMSPIEL (1979)
LP Sandra SMP 2019 (1979)
Traumspiel  is a music between jazz and rock, but never really clearly defined. Stunning soundscapes mix with scary voices and Geräuchen. Somehow reminds me of this CD to the CD "Meddle" by Pink Floyd, who teaches a partially fear.
"Any form of listening is allowed. Because the dream knows no rules."

http://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/showthread.php?t=816 (the same info as on the second of the Babyblaue links given above - here google-translated into English:

Here I want to introduce a production that will fit into any pattern so do: "Traumspiel" is a music between jazz and rock, but never really clearly defined. Stunning soundscapes mix with scary voices and Geräuchen. Somehow reminds me of this CD to the CD "Meddle" by Pink Floyd, who teaches a partially fear. "Any form of listening is allowed. because the dream knows no rules."  Herbert F. Bairy? Who is Herbert F. Bairy? Before I recently came across this album, I certainly had never heard the name. Too much I have Bairy later also not found (maybe the name is also a pseudonym). I've found it really only that he is a percussionist and 1979 with a cargo of accompanying musicians has recorded here rezensierende disc. About some of the musicians on the other hand is more known. Rob and Jeff Beer Terstall were, for example the beginning of the 70s with Odin worked. Beer, Jürgen Bräuninger, Manfred Kniel and Bernd Konrad are now all more or less well-known (at least google knows) composer, freelance artists, university and instrumental teacher. Michael hamlet briefly played with the hard rockers of Armaggedon, but is now probably as Manfred Kniel, Thomas Stabenow and Frederic Rabold mainly in jazz circles. The singer Dietburg Spohr finally is today a separate, specialized in contemporary classical vocal ensemble before. Sometime in 1979, all these musicians gathered (and some more) - then most of them were probably still at the beginning of her career - in the Tonstudio Zuckerfabrik recording studio in Stuttgart to four compositions by Bairy einzuspielen. "Traumspiel", he called the result. In the booklet of the CD reissues of in-akustik is (free quotes) that critics would probably put the album in the drawer "world music" because it would not allow them to apply the well-known jazz and rock templates. Well, as world music, I would not call the whole thing, because ethno sounds are rather in the minority. Once I put therefore to a few other templates. jazz and rock is as a rough orientation with respect to "Traumspiel" sometimes not at all bad. In addition a symphonic-progressive component, a good shot herbaceous electronics, a few zeigenössisch-classical influences, free sound paintings, some ethnic atmosphere (especially as regards the percussion) and a trace of Folklore. The easiest track to classify is "Runnin". The number is a lively, dominated by percussion jazz rocker with Latino flair, the same or a similar on one embryo - Munju - or Missus Beastly- album could occur. However, falling out of the ordinary, the funky-angled Trompetengequäke and almost zeuhligen choir deposits. The title track offers something different music. "Traumspiel" is a leisurely gliding, behavioral menacing sound paintings of all kinds of echoing and resounding tones, which slowly develops into a worn, but rather serene rock number, which then dissolves back into sound extractor. This is reminiscent in places of the Iceland-albums by Jade Warrior or even to Mike Oldfield (but is a track oblique). The variety of instruments durcheinanderpurzelnden here is certainly impressive. "Lady Ollala" is similar knitted. Voices, synthesizers, bass, guitars, piano and some more waft only messed bleak before, according to a purely electronic-herbaceous section, a folky-acoustic, but still by the synthesizer used under painted part of a little of the later slices of Popol Vuh recalls. However, the music is far more interesting and comprehensive instrumented as in the formation of Florian Fricke. Then the piece is much more rock on, bestimmmt of the howling electric guitar, but still very worn. Towards the end the whole thing dissolves in a free sound mess. At the end of the album tumble in "Redpeters Dream" diverse percussive and electronic sounds and clarinet sounds freely through each other. "Traumspiel" is a pretty interesting disc that actually anyone who feels at home in jazz rock, electronica, krautrock and freer Geplinge, very is recommended. This even more so than the album at the time (fall of 2006) is to get at various Internet service providers for a ridiculously low price. Get It

ADDENDUM: To find out more about the enigmatic Herbert F. Bairy, I simply Jeff Beer contacted by e-mail. What this tells me kindly, the name is in fact a pseudonym. Behind this is a percussionist, composer and instrument builder Ferdinand Försch. This has apparently completed but with his past. On the internet site of his house sound, "Traumspiel" is in fact mentioned nowhere. http://www.klanghaus-ff.de/

Edited by yam yam - March 19 2014 at 08:21
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 16:53
Thats good info!

Also I checked all the bios that were done and 2 are still not complete - at least not really enough info given for a decent bio

Those 2 are:

KUJAKUON and ULENSPIEGEL

they have bios but very small ones - I was told we should try to give at least 10 lines of info and we can do that by including info from albums and reviews if we are desperate. 

In the case of ULENSPIEGEL theres hardly any info so its difficult - can we do more with that bio or is it impossible?

Cheers

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 19 2014 at 16:57
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 18:00

Thats good info!

Also I checked all the bios that were done and 2 are still not complete - at least not really enough info given for a decent bio

Those 2 are:

KUJAKUON and ULENSPIEGEL

they have bios but very small ones - I was told we should try to give at least 10 lines of info and we can do that by including info from albums and reviews if we are desperate. 

In the case of ULENSPIEGEL theres hardly any info so its difficult - can we do more with that bio or is it impossible?

Cheers
I made an attempt on filling Kujakuon's bio, it looks slightly better now I think.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 18:13

I really tried on that, but the even the band names are hardly discernible from a tiny picture of the back cover, sorry
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 20:31
Originally posted by apps79 apps79 wrote:

Thats good info!

Those 2 are:

KUJAKUON and ULENSPIEGEL

Cheers
I made an attempt on filling Kujakuon's bio, it looks slightly better now I think.

yeah thats better now. two lines is not realy adequate so thats way better now Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 20:41
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

I really tried on that, but the even the band names are hardly discernible from a tiny picture of the back cover, sorry

i had a go to make it look more respectable

Just changed it to this with a bit of paddingShocked: and artistic licenseBig smile - and some verbose descriptionsLOL

ULENSPIEGEL is a Krautrock quartet hailing from Germany during the great Krautrock movement in the 1970s. many of the bands that came out in this important period of German music released one studio album and then quickly disappeared from the scene as music changed direction. ULENSPIEGEL were one such band who originally came from Lüneburg near Hamburg.

The studio album was released under the label Verlag Atelier im Bauernhaus and is only available on vinyl as a collector’s item. The album ''Ersten Streich'', released in 1971, is entirely in German with album tracks such as ‘Es wohnet ein Meister’ and ‘Lumpensammlerlied’. Many of the songs are very short such as the 2 minute ‘Taenze (Mareiken speel up / Westphaelischer)’, though some tracks are almost 5 minutes long such as ‘Mein Michel, was willst du noch mehr’ and ‘Lied der Mutter Courage’. The album is definitely obscure and hard to find but worth hunting down if you are into the Krautrock scene of the early 70s.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 19:33
PANTHEON done!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1897
nice bio info

PLATITUDE - a work in progress.... or progressive metal...

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 19:58
Thumbs Up Great work again Scott. Approve
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2014 at 16:13
Congrats on all the work!

I'm a bit late on the ULENSPIEGEL case, and while I don't have information per se, I do think I found the album itself and I'm not so sure about the krautrock tag it's added in though. The sound of the album is mostly folk:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 03:53
Interesting find! We need to find more albums from such obscure bands.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 06:00
Sonic Debris now have a proper entry
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 13:47
Great stuff Thanos! Approve Thumbs Up

Nice to see this thread moving again after a quite lengthy spell of inactivity.  Embarrassed
XunknownX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 08:24
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

The Roots Of Echo's story goes something like this (taken from their old website http://home.wish.net/~antlady/troe.html via the Wayback Machine):

The Roots of Echo were:

Lars-Olof Ström - Vocals
Sven Lorentzon - Guitar
Mats Segerdahl - Drums
Andreas Niemi - Bass
Jörgen Oscarsson - Keyboards

"The Roots of Echo" was started by Sven Lorentzon & Lars-Olof Ström, April 1990 in Gothenburg, Sweden. In 1991 they recorded their first songs on an 4-channel porta-studio with the help from some friends. In 1992 they recorded some songs from a live gig they did. The song "Garden" was recorded and later released (1993) on a collection-CD with Swedish psychedelic and Indie bands, released by "101", a small fanzine.

The album "The Roots of Echo" was recorded January 1993 and released at the summer the same year. This album was put together at "MVR-studio" in Fjärsås, (a very old and dusty 8-channel studio) and received great response from magazines in Italy, Belgium, U.K. and The Netherlands.

"Let your freak flag fly" was another collection-CD The Roots of Echo were on, with "Answer".
Garageland Records liked the band's music so much that they decided to finance the Roots of Echo's second album; "Söabu". This album was recorded in spring 1994, and had a more folk music attitude than the first album. "Söabu" was released in February 1995.

All this time they had taken help from a bunch of musical friends (including "Sinkadus" who had helped them at recordings and live gigs)

1994 - Played live at Gothenburg Art-Rock Festival (G.A.R.F.) together with Sinkadus. In the summer of 1994 Mats Svensson (who is now also with Sinkadus, & later changed his name to Segerdahl), who had earlier helped the band at live gigs, joined the band.

In autumn 1994 Andreas Niemi joined the band. Andreas had at that time recently broken up his heavy metal band "Akilles" to hang the bass on the wall, but Sven & L-O phoned him and after they heard him play they asked him to become a member of the band. Shortly after that they changed their rehearsal-local from the ceiling-room at Sven's home deep in a forest to a larger place that was a bit closer to Gothenburg.

The Roots of Echo had now developed an very original psychedelic sound, with a lot of guitar solos and a pounding rhythm section. In April 1995 they went back to the "MVR-studio" to record "Total live ninety-five", a raw three track cassette including the new songs "As time goes by" and "Guilt" and a new version on "Catch this moment". In May the same year Jörgen Oscarsson did the keyboard work for the cassette.

In May 1995 the band played live with Sinkadus again, but this time as two separate bands. Sinkadus took notice of "the roots" new drummer Mats and they later asked him for his help. Jörgen Oscarsson joined as keyboard player in the band later that spring. After contact from Phil McMullen they released "As time goes by" as a EP for Phil's "The Ptolemaic Terrascope" in U.K. September 1995. Over 8000 copies were made and sold on three weeks. This EP is completely sold out.

"Nothing between you and the sun" was recorded spring 1996 at "MVR" and because the band was short on money, most of the songs were recorded in one take and with a lot of improvisation. The album was released by the Italian company Mellow Records in May 1997, and is considered by many as "The Roots of Echo"'s most progressive and powerful record ever.

April 97 - the Roots of Echo did a live gig for "G.A.R.F." again, at Dojan, Gothenburg.

1998- Due to Mats' heavy involvement with Sinkadus and Andreas' and Jörgen's own projects, "The Roots of Echo" have taken time off.
The group re-formed in 2012 as a project in order to manage the group's heritage and aiming at some future plans of the resumption of business, initially as a collaboration between Sven and Lars, then as a non-profit project run by Lars on his own.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/therootsofecho (Edit October 2014: Link is not accessible anymore to the public - appears to be a private one).
https://www.facebook.com/TheRootsOfEcho (Edit: No longer functional as of October 2014)
I have contacted Lars-Olof Ström via facebook messages to see if he can provide us with a better bio. Smile

Edit 1: Lars did kindly update the second of these links while it was still on line to include a complete discography:

Standard CD:

1993 - 'The Roots of Echo'

1995 -  'Söabu'

1996 - 'Nothing Between You and the Sun'

2013 -  'Into The Unknown From Yesterday Volume 1' (Limited, now withdrawn, collection of mostly previously unreleased material. Only released as MP3 files without covers).

Cassettes:

1991 - 'The Roots of Echo' (demo 1)

1992 - 'The Roots of Echo' (demo 2)

1995 - 'Total Live 95' (Live in studio 1995)

Singles:

1995 - 'As Time Goes By': http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/the_roots_of_echo/as_time_goes_by/  

Compilation albums:

1993 - 'Life's A Joke '
(Collection of various artists which we contribute the song "The Garden"): http://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/lifes_a_joke/  

1994 - 'Let Your Freak Flag Fly'
(Collection of various artists which we contribute the song "Answers"): http://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/let_your_freak_flag_fly/

Cool

Edit 2: The facebook link given above with the updated bio has now been replaced by another facebook link that at the moment at least, that has no bio at all: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Roots-Of-Echo/1507750599468141.

Hi!

This is Lars-Olof Ström from The Roots Of Echo :)

Thank you for the biograph, I think it good and well made - I only have some minor corrections, etc I'd like to make:

- The first couple of months our name was just "Roots", we changed it to "The Roots Of Echo" in the summer of 1990.

- The title of the song mentioned in the beginning is "The Garden", not just "Garden"
The title of the collection CD it is on is "Life's A Joke" and can be seen here:
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/lifes_a_joke/

- The band was dissolved, not just took time off, in 1998 and it was due to my health problems, the other reasons mentioned was secondary. It is no secret and can be stated in the biography.

- The band's name is The Roots Of Echo, not Roots Of Echo, the Roots of Echo, the Roots or anything else. The Roots of Echo it is :)

- In the end I am named just Lars, that is not correct. My first name is Lars-Olof, nothing else - I don't know why some just call me Lars, I've never said or written that anywhere myself ;)
So, please correct the text in the very end to Lars-Olof :)
Ps. Sometimes I'm called L-O, but that's just short for Lars-Olof.

- Perhaps it's better to say "art work" then "covers" in the information text about the digital album "Into The Unknown From Yesterday Volume 1", mentioned in the discography.

Note!
The reason why the old Facebook links are down is that my old personal account on Facebook was deleted for unknown reason. As I was the only administrator of the then two different sites there, they automatically disappeared forever and everything that was created and written on them forever lost.

I now have a new Facebook account from where I recently created the new The Roots Of Echo homepage - the one refereed to above. It is in English and will be updated continuously.

Well, I think that was all I have to add! :)

Best regards:
Lars-Olof Ström
The Roots Of Echo
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 12:15
^  That's fantastic Lars-Olof! Thank you so much for updating and correcting this post.  Thumbs Up All we need now is for a Special Collaborator to come forward to finish the job off by adding the biography to your page. Smile
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 14:34
^ It seems you don't need a Special Collaborator to make the final version (i.e. correct the bio according to Lars-Olof's notes).

After that some SC (I know at least one them) will come forward.Wink
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>