FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFunny

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Funny
    Posted: November 30 2005 at 10:58
With this post i'm not to integrate any band to the archives, its just a curious thing i want to mention.

Yesterday i started to download the new album from the Darkness. I was expecting some good rock n' roll but when it started...
The introduction from "one way ticket" was worthy for a prog album! Then, it changed to an AC/DC style song...
Then it came "Knockers" and "Its just me?" wich still had that AC/DC style. But it was in "Dinner Lady Arms" when some prog elements came out (not much actually). Next it camed "Seemed Like A Good Idea before" wich had even more prog elements, but it was not until "Hazel eyes" when we had a pure Art Rock song! This song has all that a prog song needs.
Well, then "Bald" has a prog intruduction but the song is as much AC/DC as the first three ones. Then "Gilfriend"... What do i have to say? This song sucks. Then... "english country garden"... good rock song with Queen-like chorus. Finally, "Blind Man"! Good Queen song indeed! LOL

This could appear to be a review, but it's just to show you how a quite comertial band can slowly (very slowly) be converted into prog. Who knows? Maybe we can excpect a Prog album for the fifth album! (This is their second album)

Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 11:03
The day the darkness makes an prog album i will stop listening to prog
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 11:08

I thought they were bad glam rockers

Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 11:09
10 songs 35...minutes...i can already there see that this album is not something for me
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 11:12
The Darkness are NOT prog - they are a comedy rock band, a very good one, but NOT prog
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Orbert View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 11:33

Wow, no lack of closed minds around here.

A lot of people have very definite ideas about what is prog and what is not, and if it's not, then it's automatically bad. Or if it's not 100% prog, then it's not prog at all and no one should even try to say that there are prog elements. Bah!

I think it's great when a mainstream rock and roll band stretches out, tries a few new things, even gets a little bit proggy. How else can they grow? No, one or two songs with proggy sections does not make the band prog or even "prog-related" (I'm not really fond of that term, but it's the best we have to work with). But I don't see any harm in giving it a listen, maybe expand my own musical horizons, and see how someone else has broadened theirs.

Anyone not willing to at least try is just missing out on new stuff.

In and around the lake...
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 11:36
Originally posted by Orbert Orbert wrote:

A lot of people have very definite ideas about what is prog and what is not, and if it's not, then it's automatically bad.

Originally posted by Orbert Orbert wrote:

I think it's great when a mainstream rock and roll band stretches out, tries a few new things, even gets a little bit proggy. How else can they grow?

And does prog have a monopoly on innovation?
Revan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 11:38
Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

The Darkness are NOT prog - they are a comedy rock band, a very good one, but NOT prog

Thanks i never said they were prog

NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 11:47
They may be the best thing to have ever come out of Lowestoft.
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 14:49
I'm sure I've read that The Darkness spent a few years struggling as an unpopular prog band under a different name ... before turning to their present style as a joke and making it big ...

It wouldn't surprise me if they decided to slip in a little prog among another album of AC?DC/Def Leppard rehashes ...

here's a part of a bio ....

Growing up in of Lowestoft, Suffolk, England, the Hawkins brothers, Justin (vocals, guitar, synthesizer) and Dan (guitar) played in several cover bands. One of those groups included Ed Graham (drums). In 1997, Justin headed off for university and Dan left for London to continue his music. In London, Dan met Frankie Poullain (bass) and the two often jammed together, joined on weekends by Justin and Graham. The brothers and Poullain even formed the short-lived progressive-rock band Empire.

A millennium eve karaoke contest would be the factor that would bring these four together as The Darkness. Justin entered the contest, with Dan in the audience, and knocked the crowd out with his flamboyant performance of "Bohemian Rhapsody." The brothers decided that Justin should be the frontman of the group and quickly drafted Graham and Poullain to fill out the roster.

Edited by Trotsky
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
Peace Frog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 15:24
The Darkness are modelled after rock bands from the 70s. But they're okay, and what I've heard of them I like.

Post Reply Post Reply