Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGlen Baker Remembered.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glen Baker Remembered.
    Posted: September 04 2004 at 12:31

Who remembers Glen Baker. His (only) album, Brief Encounter, is worthy of a place in any prog collection. Whilst suffering a little from eighties sound technique, being played almost entirely on one of those Roland synth-axe thingies, there are nevertheless some rewards to be found on this album, from reworkings of Debussy to quasi-German punk to a beautifull version of Steeleye Span's "Saucy Sailor".

I've googled for this album on CD, but have only come across vinyl copies, which I already own. It's the only non-Enid album to be released on The Stand label, and if anyone remembers him, it will probably be from playing support sets for the Enid, always with success.

Unfortunately, fame and fortune were not to yield to Glen's tallents, and this quiet, thoughtfull, sensitive man crept back into his shell. A few years ago, for reasons I can only geuss at, Glen took his own life, but in his memory I'd like to say, Glen, we miss you, man.

gbme.bmp 

Glen (right) and myself in happier times (1985), sitting on the Enid's front doorstep.

Edited by emdiar
Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 21:46

R.I.P Mr Baker

The Martian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 20:51
Yes; I have two original copies of Glen Baker's album Brief Encounter. A magic piece of musical work, and played often by myself. I'd really like to arrange one or two of those songs for live performance, as well... it seems a shame that music of that quality should be forgotten simply because the composer is gone... the lyrics are highly poetic and evocative, and the album has a sense of colour and an orchestral power. Still; Glen's left behind an album; all I'll leave behind is some poems and an unplayed instrumental score or two...
 Post Reply Post Reply