Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhil Collins should keep his mouth shut

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phil Collins should keep his mouth shut
    Posted: December 06 2005 at 00:23
Ever been frustrated or angry with anything in the past Phil Collins has said ?  (he is known for his outbursts against  Pink Floyd and Yes).

Edited by s1ipp3ry
BleedingGum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 00:32
Originally posted by s1ipp3ry s1ipp3ry wrote:

Ever been frustrated or angry with anything in the past Phil Collins has said ? .... heres your chance to tell us what it was and why it caused you so much frustration .

Could you please tell me what he did say?
...this is called....BleedingGum ... !
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 00:39

Phil Collins has said a lot of things to justify the change of Genesis, like that he rather listen a punk album than a Pink Floyd or Yes album, and things like that.

But after some years and when he was already out of Genesis (and POP Genesis was forgotten by their fans) he said that his favorite Genesis album was The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

But I rather remember him for his great drumming contribution to  Genesis and Brand X than for his own contradictions.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Laurent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 00:43
During the Genesis-History video he said he thought it was a good thing that punk happened, and that he agreed with people who thought that the old Prog bands were just a bunch of unhip dinosaurs(Paraphrasing slightly).

But that was 15 years ago.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 00:47
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Phil Collins has said a lot of things to justify the change of Genesis, like that he rather listen a punk album than a Pink Floyd or Yes album, and things like that.

But after some years and when he was already out of Genesis (and POP Genesis was forgotten by their fans) he said that his favorite Genesis album was The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

But I rather remember him for his great drumming contribution to  Genesis and Brand X than for his own contradictions.

Iván

I thought Phil said he never really understood the Lamb?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 00:57

Six Eight wrote:

ivan_2068 wrote:

Iván

I thought Phil said he never really understood the Lamb?

Another Phil Collins contradiction

The Marriott at County Hall
Friday 23rd November 2001

Webmaster: On a more positive front then, what about the favourite albums that you did?

Phil Collins: I think 'The Lamb' because 'The Lamb's' got a lot of music. You can't listen to it all in one go, well I can't but the fans do, but there's a lot of music that was improvised and I couldn't tell you what was going to happen next unless I listened to it three or four times. So in terms of listening to something and being surprised by it I think 'The Lamb' would be my favourite. It might be the way it was recorded, it was a little rougher audio-wise.

http://www.genesis-music.com/interview.htm 

What has happened today that I had to quote everything.

Iván

Alpine Jones View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 01:54
Not that I do not believe you guys, but does anyone have a link of a website,
interview, or article where phil collins says these things about Yes and
Genesis? Or do I have to buy the Genesis history video?
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 03:34
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Iván

Good point Ivan  ..  Phil  was  a  great  drummer  thats  for sure
Greg H. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 06:28

Phil Collins? 'Never been a fan myself. When I began hearing about him, he was doing mostly Pop. In the 70s, I really didn't listen to Genesis, though.

Now; Peter Gabriel, on the other hand; I really became a fan after seeing his concert (on Direct TV) of the "Secret World" Tour. Wow!! That was excellent! That is on my DVD list.  

- Greg
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 06:43

Phil Collins puts his foot in it, on the Genesis History video when he says how the band never appealed to women in the 70's. He claimed the music was too demanding for them..

..then he realises what he said and tries damage limitation by saying 'Oh I dont mean that in any chauvenistic sense'

Yeah, right Phillip...   Shut up and play yer drums..

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
krusty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 07:37
^Hehehe, I'm starting to get the feeling he is a bit of an ars*hole!

About he Lamb, "You can't listen to it all in one go, well I can't but the fans do" this also makes me laugh. Why can't he listen to it all in one go!!!! Whats the problem?
I get the impression he was just a passenger on this album then?

He IS a great drummer but as others have said, please STOP talking Phil!!! Your not doing yourself any favours.

Edited by krusty
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 07:54
 Phil collins is a very overrated drummer, I love genesis  for the last 35 years, but phil lucked out in becoming frontrunner after Gabriel left. He sold out the  band just to promote and start up his solo career. After ' AND THEN THERE WERE THREE,'' all  cds sound like collins solo  stuff, of cource phil wants to get genesis together again so he can put his lame songs on it once again. Chester is a better drummer anyway.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 08:08

^ Not sure I'd agree with all of that ranger..

I dont think he is overated drummer at all, infact I think he is one of the best, and thats not just because I'm a big Genesis fan. I've listened carefully to Bruford and Palmer and yes, they are fantastic, but in all fairness Collins is playing equally complex material, but with an almost effortless flair. He doesn't sound like he's even breaking into a sweat. This is why I think he is the best at making a laid back jazz approach work in a rock context.

Thompson is also a brilliant drummer - perhaps better than Collins - and a very similar drummer in style. You can see why Collins asked him to join the band after hearing him play on Zappas 'Live at the Roxy'

Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 08:31
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Phil Collins puts his foot in it, on the Genesis History video when he says how the band never appealed to women in the 70's. He claimed the music was too demanding for them..

..then he realises what he said and tries damage limitation by saying 'Oh I dont mean that in any chauvenistic sense'

Yeah, right Phillip...   Shut up and play yer drums..

Yep, Collins should stop talking AND singing. Put some duct tape over his mouth and place him behind the drums.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 08:35

Originally posted by krusty krusty wrote:

^Hehehe, I'm starting to get the feeling he is a bit of an ars*hole!

About he Lamb, "You can't listen to it all in one go, well I can't but the fans do" this also makes me laugh. Why can't he listen to it all in one go!!!! Whats the problem?
I get the impression he was just a passenger on this album then?

He IS a great drummer but as others have said, please STOP talking Phil!!! Your not doing yourself any favours.

..and he contradicts himself. In Hugh Fielders 'Book of Genesis' he's quoted as saying that he used to get stoned every night of the Lamb tour and listen to the whole album on the headphones before going to bed.

Charles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 08:59

Ahh good ole' Phil...

If we sat here on our computers and wrote down the contridictory comments Phil has said since he joined Genesis, we would be able to make a book out of it....

Let me write a few Phil-isms to entertain the few here... If you do not mind...

I always hated the fact that people compared us to the Moodie Blues, they are a bunch of old farts....

I never liked Yes.... But yet not only was Bill Bruford his idol, he nearly replaced him in Yes...

He never cared much for Roxy Music, but yet during the late 70's ealy 80's the band nearly mirrored each other in sound and in image...

Charles

G'day
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 09:02
Phil could shut his mouth also for singing
Guigo

~~~~~~
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 09:07
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Phil could shut his mouth also for singing
lol  ... but  there  are  a few good songs  phil sings  not his solo stuff so much  the CD`s genesis did after peter gabriel left.. I felt phil did a good job with but it was only a couple up until then there were three 
Nazgul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 09:08
Why? If You don't like him - don't  listen. I do that and it works.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 09:45

Originally posted by Nazgul Nazgul wrote:

Why? If You don't like him - don't  listen. I do that and it works.

I always try not to listen to him and many others but, at least here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, at many public places one goes there's always a radio on: the subway, the market, several shops, the big newstands even the buses

99% of the music casted is crap including certain Brazilian 'modern' rythms and among them the worst of the worst of international music. Sometimes returning home after a hard day may be a painful journey.

Guigo

~~~~~~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>