Topic ClosedIZZ: My River Flows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: IZZ: My River Flows
    Posted: December 06 2005 at 21:14

Any IZZ fans out there? My River Flows was released today. I've heard summa the tunes live at Cal Prog '05. They rocked the house.

You can check out MRF on the Dividing Line Archive (Shawn Bishop):

http://thedividingline.com/btl.html

More info:

http://www.izznet.com/flash/izzhome.html

Order here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000C1ZTNA/qid =1133921656/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1533654-4254416?v=glance &s=music&n=507846

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 21:28

Great news Danbo!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up,I love IZZ.

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 13:34

You guys need to listen to this band.  I was blown away by them at Calprog. I think I have to wait a few weeks to here the CD though it is a Christmas Present.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 14:28
I'm really interested in getting my mitts on the new album. I've been a recent convert to 'I Move' and it's great. Really diverse and while it doesn't always work, the good stuff is plain awesome.
New album looks really exciting a 12 minute track and whoa! Deafening Silence clocks in at a monstrous 21 minutes! If either of those sound anything like Coming Like Light then we're in for a treat.
Review coming soon Danbo?

Edited by arcer
The Ryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 01:17

This album has to be their most dynamic, after hearing what danbo has provided. Izz has improved once again and I'm somewhat impressed. Thanks danbo.

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 12:27

Just spent the afternoon listening (and listening again and again) to the album as featured on The Dividing Line. It's a freakin' great album. Much more cohesive than 'I Move'. Haven't digested it completely but so far the standout's have to be Late Night Salvation, Abby's Song and Crossfire. Not made my mind up about the 21-minute Deafening Silence yet, it's too much to take in on just a couple of listens. I can hear all sorts of influences from Genesis to Yes to believe it or not early '80s Rush.

Definitely a contender for Prog album of the year. Melodic, clever, instrumentally adept. Production sounds solid too, though tricky to tell from a radio broadcast.

In short

Edited by arcer
pogoowner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 15:37

I loved I Move, so I'm hoping to pick this one up as well.

And it might as well be raining, 'cause the sunlight hurts his eyes,
And his ears will never hear the children's cries
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 22:10
Originally posted by arcer arcer wrote:

Just spent the afternoon listening (and listening again and again) to the album as featured on The Dividing Line. It's a freakin' great album. Much more cohesive than 'I Move'. Haven't digested it completely but so far the standout's have to be Late Night Salvation, Abby's Song and Crossfire. Not made my mind up about the 21-minute Deafening Silence yet, it's too much to take in on just a couple of listens. I can hear all sorts of influences from Genesis to Yes to believe it or not early '80s Rush.

Definitely a contender for Prog album of the year. Melodic, clever, instrumentally adept. Production sounds solid too, though tricky to tell from a radio broadcast.

In short

I don't know how quickly Amazon will get this CD to me, but the Dividing Line premier gives you the disc plus a buncha insight into IZZ. Greg Dimiceli even gives me a shout out, which shocked the f*#@ outta me. Thanks Greg! They are a very personable band. Real peeps.

I will review it as soon as I get it. Woo Hoo!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 19:52

Just got MRF in the mail today. Damn-Skippy it's good. I'm on my third spin and each one pops up bits and pieces I missed previously.

A great mix of Yes, Beatles, Genesis and King Crimson (Tom Galgano gets this Adrian Belew vocal thing at times). Paul Bremner really shines, while Greg Dimiceli and Brian Coralian lock into some terrific grooves.

Outstanding tracks: Late Night Salvation, Crossfire, and Abby's Song.

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 15:34
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

Just got MRF in the mail today. Damn-Skippy it's good. I'm on my third spin and each one pops up bits and pieces I missed previously.

A great mix of Yes, Beatles, Genesis and King Crimson (Tom Galgano gets this Adrian Belew vocal thing at times). Paul Bremner really shines, while Greg Dimiceli and Brian Coralian lock into some terrific grooves.

Outstanding tracks: Late Night Salvation, Crossfire, and Abby's Song.

Hmm intersting your outstaning tracks.  Not Deafing Silence?   I have a few more weeks to get it and cant get that stupid stream of the show to play on my computer but I know it is going to be good.  How could it not?

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 16:10

Danbo's right I think, 'Deafening Silence' is not the success you would imagine. Personally )and Dan might threaten to behead me here) I just don't think the girl singer (can't remember her name) has a good enough voice to carry a lead vocal and she is charged with carrying the bulk of this pretty ambitious piece. Don't get me wrong, there are sections that are very, very good but it just doesn't have the punch, impact, whatever of the shorter songs. Although if you wanna call 12 minutes of Late Night Salvation short then... :-)

But there's the difference. Late Night Salvation is a blindingly good song, tight, focused and sung by Galgano, it's much more punchy and feels more fluent and composed. Deafening Silence is a real curate's egg.

However, don't let that put you off. The album's a good 'un and no mistake. Top marks.

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 15:44

Danbo's right I think, 'Deafening Silence' is not the success you would imagine. Personally )and Dan might threaten to behead me here) I just don't think the girl singer (can't remember her name) has a good enough voice to carry a lead vocal and she is charged with carrying the bulk of this pretty ambitious piece. Don't get me wrong, there are sections that are very, very good but it just doesn't have the punch, impact, whatever of the shorter songs. Although if you wanna call 12 minutes of Late Night Salvation short then... :-)

But there's the difference. Late Night Salvation is a blindingly good song, tight, focused and sung by Galgano, it's much more punchy and feels more fluent and composed. Deafening Silence is a real curate's egg.

However, don't let that put you off. The album's a good 'un and no mistake. Top marks.

Since I heard DS live before the studio I would beg to differ.  I just heard the studio and I think it is fine but it is much better live. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 17:39
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Since I heard DS live before the studio I would beg to differ.  I just heard the studio and I think it is fine but it is much better live. 

I do like Deafening Silence, however, it is not the strongest part of the album and does have a bit that feels like padding to me. I have never been a big fan of female lead vocals in prog, because they usually sound like choir voices, rather than the rock edge male singers have. I will admit that DS was incredible live.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 18:06
I just recently picked up MRF and have to say that I like it alot.It has an entirely different feel than I Move(an album I love),but it will take a few more spins to digest the album.

Edited by TheProgtologist

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 20:13

It's a great album full of surprising moments.

Could be the Prog Hit of 2006.....

Post Reply Post Reply