Anyone for a naff little 5.1 amp that can pack some power

Edited by Lindsay Lohan
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 09:17
Forget 5.1.
Better get a real sub with a 38 cm loudspeaker and a good pair of speakers!

Magnat Omega 380 (excellent and cheap sub featuring a 200W power amp and 38cm loudspeaker)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 09:19
...that and a little Pionner DVD player (there's a good one with great image for less than 120€), QED cables and you'll have your kick on both movies and music.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 15:44
Is there any special reason for wanting 5.1? If not, I'd... gulp... agree with oliver
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 15:47
Certainly ive already got a pair of speakers and is already planning to get and active sub...but i want to watch movies at home at top notch quality
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 17:32
Spare yourself the expense and just get a logitech z-680 or z-5500 system. If you live in the US you have the option of the klipsch pro-media systems. I have the klipsch 2.1 on my computer system, but couldn't get the 5.1 for the loungeroom- they never made it for australian power rating, so settled for a logitech system. At a quarter the price they sound just as good as the hi-fi store type systems (just an opinion oliver).
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 21:54
^ I agree
i have the lower 180 watt one
for like 100 soomething its pretty loud
and i really dont need all the power in my small room
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 02:22
"Certainly ive already got a pair of speakers and is already planning to get and active sub...but i want to watch movies at home at top notch quality"

You will NOT have top notch quality with a set of bad home cinema speakers and a false sub (less than 38 cm)
Get a real 38cm sub and you'll have extreme low, and it will be more impressive than at the cinema.
You'll have a far more spatial sound with a good stereo system and a real sub than with 5 or 10 or 15 crappy speakers and a false sub.
Home cinema is crap! That's only a marketing strategy to sell more speakers to people.

Then get "QED" cables to link the sound output of your DVD to your amp, a good Pionner DVD player (very good image quality), a good TV (Sony for example), a good peritel cable to link your DVD player to your TV ("Real cable" makes some good cheap ones) and it will work.

Edited by oliverstoned
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 04:10

Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

"Certainly ive already got a pair of speakers and is already planning to get and active sub...but i want to watch movies at home at top notch quality"

You will NOT have top notch quality with a set of bad home cinema speakers and a false sub (less than 38 cm)
Get a real 38cm sub and you'll have extreme low, and it will be more impressive than at the cinema.
You'll have a far more spatial sound with a good stereo system and a real sub than with 5 or 10 or 15 crappy speakers and a false sub.
Home cinema is crap! That's only a marketing strategy to sell more speakers to people.

Then get "QED" cables to link the sound output of your DVD to your amp, a good Pionner DVD player (very good image quality), a good TV (Sony for example), a good peritel cable to link your DVD player to your TV ("Real cable" makes some good cheap ones) and it will work.

Ever heard of the word "surround" ... how can you have surround sound with two speakers + subwoofer? Unless you're going to use some bogus "virtual" surround simulation.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 04:22
Surround is disgusting.
Good extreme low is all you need, both for music and movies. Anyway, dvd are already bumped, no need to add more effects.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 04:47
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

"Certainly ive already got a pair of speakers and is already planning to get and active sub...but i want to watch movies at home at top notch quality" You will NOT have top notch quality with a set of bad home cinema speakers and a false sub (less than 38 cm) Get a real 38cm sub and you'll have extreme low, and it will be more impressive than at the cinema. You'll have a far more spatial sound with a good stereo system and a real sub than with 5 or 10 or 15 crappy speakers and a false sub. Home cinema is crap! That's only a marketing strategy to sell more speakers to people. Then get "QED" cables to link the sound output of your DVD to your amp, a good Pionner DVD player (very good image quality), a good TV (Sony for example), a good peritel cable to link your DVD player to your TV ("Real cable" makes some good cheap ones) and it will work.

Ever heard of the word "surround" ... how can you have surround sound with two speakers + subwoofer? Unless you're going to use some bogus "virtual" surround simulation.

Not bogus at all - you've only got two ears . Binaural recording is a hell of a lot more naturally 3D sounding than any consumer 5.1 system! Nigh on impossible to do for a film, though. I know what you're saying really though, and I do agree. If surround sound is more important than good quality sound (and we must remember nearly all audio on DVDs is lower quality than CD anyway), then two speakers are no substitute for five. Or three for six, to look at it another way. On the other hand if you want strong sounds, oliver too is right because of course you will need a nice big subwoofer. How practical that is for your living room is up to you

Edited by goose
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 05:45
Wise words. This multi channel fashion is only a marketing trap. Stereo already gives a very spatial image, and knows that even mono can be very good too!!
but that's another story.
I was in an hifi show in Paris 2 years ago, and they was a multi channel system with 5 floorstands speakers in the B&W stand.
Altough the speakers were excellent, the result was very bad, FAR LESS GOOD THAN WITH a pair of these very good speakers.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 05:47
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

"Certainly ive already got a pair of speakers and is already planning to get and active sub...but i want to watch movies at home at top notch quality" You will NOT have top notch quality with a set of bad home cinema speakers and a false sub (less than 38 cm) Get a real 38cm sub and you'll have extreme low, and it will be more impressive than at the cinema. You'll have a far more spatial sound with a good stereo system and a real sub than with 5 or 10 or 15 crappy speakers and a false sub. Home cinema is crap! That's only a marketing strategy to sell more speakers to people. Then get "QED" cables to link the sound output of your DVD to your amp, a good Pionner DVD player (very good image quality), a good TV (Sony for example), a good peritel cable to link your DVD player to your TV ("Real cable" makes some good cheap ones) and it will work.

Not bogus at all - you've only got two ears . Binaural recording is a hell of a lot more naturally 3D sounding than any consumer 5.1 system! Nigh on impossible to do for a film, though.

I was of course referring to movies ... and of course the neat DVD audio versions of regular albums (namely Porcupine Tree).

I know what you're saying really though, and I do agree. If surround sound is more important than good quality sound (and we must remember nearly all audio on DVDs is lower quality than CD anyway), then two speakers are no substitute for five. Or three for six, to look at it another way.

Put it this way: BECAUSE the movie DVDs mostly contain digitally compressed sound, it makes no sense to listen to it on HiFi equipment. And even if you use the stereo (PCM) audio version (if one's available), chances are that it is just a downmixed version of the (already compressed) 5.1 audio.

How about this: get yourself a good 5.1 system (Logitech/Klipsch) and disconnect the front L/R speakers. Then route those two signals through your normal HiFi system. So you use the cheap system for subwoofer/center/rear, and the HiFi for front-L/R.  

On the other hand if you want strong sounds, oliver too is right because of course you will need a nice big subwoofer. How practical that is for your living room is up to you

Agreed.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 06:25
Ahem the equipment i use now costs about $15 000 so please im talking top notch sound here...im just going to expant it with a center, front speakers and a amp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 06:29

And please 5.1 systems can really enhance the movie experience...i mean the center speaker allowes speach to be clearer while there are different sounds on the Back and front speakers...so there is really alot of information lost when i run a 2.1 system as i do now...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 06:36
Do as you like, if you have money to waste...

What's your 15000 dollars equipment? Do you already have a (real) sub? If not, first get a sub, and you'll see if you need something else.

Edited by oliverstoned
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 06:45

i use a B&W asw 825

...i refuse to buy anything else than B&W speakers btw

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 06:53
yeah that's a good brand
What's the diameter of the speaker on this one?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 07:01

^

It is 12" that would be about 37,65cm there was a bigger model but i dont want the bass to get too dominant either...

...I have seen many hi-fi entusiasts recommend two subs actually...so that might be a possible additon once i get them other stuff...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2005 at 07:06

As for front speakers the B&W803S is the most likely subject...

Although the 802D is much more tempting!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>