Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 09:30
Donīt know anything about Violet District, but I agree about RPWL 
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 16:11
Couples of Violet District members left to form a band named RPWL; I've heard Trying to kiss the sun and it is UNlistenable. IT sounds too much bland alternative rock.  This is the right example of band that could kill prog rock, as alternative rock killed hard rock.

Edited by greenback
ponter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2004 at 01:02

I've listened to both bands and although I liked Violet District, I found RPWL to be enjoyable. I really don't find myself listening to either one a lot though.

BTW- nothing will kill Prog. There are too many of us sharing this wonderful stuff with others. My 15 yr old son loves Gentle Giant, Spock's Beard, IQ, Happy the Man, and Porcupine Tree. My 18yr old son likes Tool, A Perfect Circle, Opeth, Dream Theater, and Pink Floyd. Yes, I've corrupted them. I'm proud of it too. Neither of them listens to the radio very much. They prefer to choose what they listen to.

shake your head as the world just nods away...
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2004 at 01:41
Originally posted by ponter ponter wrote:

I've listened to both bands and although I liked Violet District, I found RPWL to be enjoyable. I really don't find myself listening to either one a lot though.

BTW- nothing will kill Prog. There are too many of us sharing this wonderful stuff with others. My 15 yr old son loves Gentle Giant, Spock's Beard, IQ, Happy the Man, and Porcupine Tree. My 18yr old son likes Tool, A Perfect Circle, Opeth, Dream Theater, and Pink Floyd. Yes, I've corrupted them. I'm proud of it too. Neither of them listens to the radio very much. They prefer to choose what they listen to.

At this young age, you have to show them other stuff than hip-hop and alterno. If not, they will be influenced by other young people. The young does not have the reflex to seek other music. If the young's choice is rap & alterno, then it starts bad for him!

At least, if young people don't choose prog, classsical or jazz, at least they should choose something positive & sane!

Pixel Pirate View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2004 at 06:14
In Norway a few years ago we had a minister of culture that said we should brainwash children with classical music from at least kindergarten age,that way,when they grew up,they would have been taught how to appreciate good music and therefore would. My view of politicians is like Alvy Singer's in "Annie Hall", a notch underneath child molester,but here's at least one politician I can respect!
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.
 Post Reply Post Reply