Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuicide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Poll Question: Has it ever seriously crossed your mind?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
60 [51.72%]
56 [48.28%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2007 at 00:42
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

You must never feel overwhelmed enough by your lot in life, then.

Strangely enough, it not always your lot in life that matters, but your own perceived ability to "take" it. You may objectively know that your life is better than a Sudanese christian living in Darfur. The comparison matters not a whit to what you're feeling. Some will live through the accidental loss of their whole family & eventually come out on the other side. Some will throw in the towel after the death of their pet. Funny how you may find out that your opinion doesn't mean as much to your friend, eh.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2007 at 01:03
Having just posted umpteenth answers to more than a few posts here, I thought I'd be better off to put it in one (hopefully) brief missive.
One - If you have never been clinically diagnosed as depressed, you don't know, you don't understand what it is. Period. This is not an insult to your intelligence, education, life experience, whatever. This is just not something you can learn about from books, O.K. .
Two - Thinking about it may very well be one thing. But, without knowing how far "gone" you are, it is better to talk about it with a medical professional. Better safe than sorry. You might just be blue. But if you aren't , you do not want to find that out after the hammer hits the bullet head.
Three - Telling someone to "snap out of it" is about the stupidest thing you can say. How low of an opinion can you hold of a loved one to believe that they would think otherwise if they could. Like, hey, your leg is broken, but if you don't worry about it, you'll see it goes away ... RIGHT !
Four - Do some people overdo it ? Damn Right ! But do you really want to take that chance ???? THink ABout it ... Do You ? This may literally be a life or death question with no second chances.
Five - If you think it is a sign of weakness, you are an insecure uninformed ignorant idiot. If you ever become ill enough to start thinking about suicide, I hope your family & friends know better than you do.
Six - If & when you do come through an episode of severe depression, you can believe one thing  - family & friends are more important than your health. Screw that old saying about having your health being the most important thing in life.
Seven - Do not believe that your cherished defenses (music, family, friends, work, sports, hobbies, wealth, health, etc ...) are a guarantee against it. This is not something that ANYBODY chooses to experience. Laziness, weakness, or any other demeaning description you may think describes those afflicted simply shows your lack of understanding, and assuredly your actual real life experience of such an emotion. Initially, thinking so will not make you a bad unfeeling friend or family member. Misinformation, prejudices, & just plain ignorance die hard. Just remember whether your best friend has reason to give you any doubts about what many figure is "supposed" illness.
Eight - Hope, dear God/Allah/Vishnu/whatever deity or god or none of the above that you never ever end up afflicted with this mental illness. If you have a bias against it, substitute another illness - cancer, AIDS, Ebola, take your pick. No one chooses what can possibly end up a deadly malady
Nine - If you have read this so far ... thank you for taking the time. Visit sites such as NIMH, or other government/medical (valid, not commercial) sites that can offer a wealth of information on this & other mental illnesses. They are the last frontier, medically speaking, as to what the general public wants to talk about or even think about.

To quote IQ's first song on their debut - "I'm Still Alive!"
And I intend to die of old age. My wife, daughter, my parents, my family & friends are the obstacle that Suicide cannot overcome. They mean that much to me, as I do to them. And if you ever get to the point where you don't believe that, find someone who will help you understand it. It could be a matter of life and death!
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2007 at 15:01
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Originally posted by Visitor13 Visitor13 wrote:

And believe me, there are ways of making even the toughest people feel suicidal.
I'm afraid you misunderstand my position on this matter; the reason that suicide will never be an option for me is not because I am "tough," but instead because of my firm belief that there is no life after death; you only get the time here you are allotted, and nothing could possibly make me want to cut that short.  For me, life will always infinitely better than death, regardless of how gruesome the circumstances. 

Sorry for replying so late.

I'm not sure life is always better than death. My mum's friend, who died of cancer a year or so ago, would actively and consciously resist (chemo)therapy, fully aware she was thus bringing about her end. Living on simply hurt her too much at that point.

And it's not impossible to imagine witnessing situations that would haunt you forever, slowly clawing at your sanity. Death probably brings forgetting.    

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2007 at 15:10
Still, Debrewguy put it best
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2007 at 21:30
Many times.. never been close to doing it but of course it crossed my mind, I think most people have at some point in there life or will at some point when they get realy depresed.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 08:42
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Ya know, sometimes Zappa had his head up his ass when it came to putting his beliefs out there. In this case here, he could probably see his esophagus.
OF course, he died of lung cancer. Not bad for a non-druggie. If you don't count nicotine as a drug, which apparently his self righteous ass didn't think so. Thumbs%20Down

Stern%20Smile Please don't take that "Suicide Chump" post too seriously, D. -- I just thought it was time for some "tough love" in this thread. really, (I think Frank  had a similar purpose: to make suicide seem less "attractive" -- not an act of "bravery," but rather "the sport of chumps."

My admittedly unclear point was that people should seriously consider the great harm suicide does to the family and friends of the victim. Suicide is an act of ultimate violence. The devastating after-effects last lifetimes, and generations.

I did not want to seem to "encourage" suicide by joining in the "yeah, me too" gloom-fest we've got going on here. A lot of our members are at the "perfect' age, demographic-wise, to attempt such an act. (Some, in fact, seem to spend every possible free moment alone with their computers, and their "virtual" personality and friendships. This can't be entirely healthy.)

Your later post as to the impossibility of those who've never suffered clinical depression truly understanding that horrible, debilitating illness was right on, BTW.

I take this subject seriously, but it's rather a pronounced downer here on our music forum, and perhaps does little good -- my fear was that it might even do harm. 

Edited by Peter - September 24 2007 at 08:45
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Ely78 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 13:02
No, because "CLOSER TO THE HEART" is my "MISSION"
When the love becomes poetry, distant from the eyes

(Quando l'Amore Diventa poesia/ Lontano Dagli occhi [Aphrodite's Child)
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 13:51
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Ya know, sometimes Zappa had his head up his ass when it came to putting his beliefs out there. In this case here, he could probably see his esophagus.
OF course, he died of lung cancer. Not bad for a non-druggie. If you don't count nicotine as a drug, which apparently his self righteous ass didn't think so. Thumbs%20Down

Stern%20Smile Please don't take that "Suicide Chump" post too seriously, D. -- I just thought it was time for some "tough love" in this thread. really, (I think Frank  had a similar purpose: to make suicide seem less "attractive" -- not an act of "bravery," but rather "the sport of chumps."

My admittedly unclear point was that people should seriously consider the great harm suicide does to the family and friends of the victim. Suicide is an act of ultimate violence. The devastating after-effects last lifetimes, and generations.

I did not want to seem to "encourage" suicide by joining in the "yeah, me too" gloom-fest we've got going on here. A lot of our members are at the "perfect' age, demographic-wise, to attempt such an act. (Some, in fact, seem to spend every possible free moment alone with their computers, and their "virtual" personality and friendships. This can't be entirely healthy.)

Your later post as to the impossibility of those who've never suffered clinical depression truly understanding that horrible, debilitating illness was right on, BTW.

I take this subject seriously, but it's rather a pronounced downer here on our music forum, and perhaps does little good -- my fear was that it might even do harm. 

Re : Zappa. Although it is well known that Frankie boy sometimes sang or said the unspeakable at times so as to shock people out of their complacency, there are times when others might wish that he gave more thought to achieving that goal in a more intelligent way. Mind you, for a guy who put out like, what, 8000 albums, he probably didn't have the knack for self-editing that genuises should show, i.e. if it's come out of me, that means it's ready to record.
Good point on the downer aspect. One "harder than it seems" lesson to learn is giving one's self over to positive thoughts. It's too easy to go negative. And to use a metaphor - it's easier to dig a hole with a backhoe, than to fill it with a spoon. Recognize the dark pathway, re-direct yourself to good road, and know that you can bring yourself back towards a sunnier view of life.
I used to tell people this little axiom when they asked me how I was doing. My apologies to those who don't speak french, but I couldn't come up with a fitting translation.
Quand ca va, ca va; pi quand ca va pas, ca vient a passer.
Here's my try -
When things are going well, they go well. When they don't, I know that they do get better.

Edited by debrewguy - September 24 2007 at 13:53
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 17:51

Originally posted by sircosick sircosick wrote:

I always consider the possibility; I usually say "if a have a gun in my hands, I put it against my head and shot", but I've never got a gun....... however, the chance of leave this senseless life is always atractive and the unique guideline is not to suffer so much pain. Smile

As opposed to leaving your family & friends in pain ? Confused

In the extremely brief moment since I get that gun and the shot, I suppose to keep my mind blank! Tongue If not...... would be awful. Anyway, I'm not looking for a quick death, as you surely misunderstood Wink It's just if the chance comes to me.
The best you can is good enough...
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 15:46
If you don't believe the religion crap, death is just nothingness, darkness, silence, peace. How's that worse than life? Nothing can be worse than life, really... I'm just in it for fun
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 19:21
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

If you don't believe the religion crap, death is just nothingness, darkness, silence, peace. How's that worse than life? Nothing can be worse than life, really... I'm just in it for fun

It is permanent though. No 30 day trial period. I stay in it 'cause I know there will be moments of fun. Evil%20Smile
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 03:07
Originally posted by R o V e R R o V e R wrote:

<FONT size=7>No

In other words "Yes, but I'm too much of a dillusional optimist or some sort of religious person who's faith strictly forbids suicide to admit it"
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 08:01
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

No, then I wouldn't be able to listen to prog anymore!

Good answer.

Frank Zappa - Suicide Chump Lyrics

You say there ain't no use in livin'
It's all a waste of time
'N you wanna throw your life away, well
People that's just fine
Go ahead on 'n get it over with then
Find you a bridge 'n take a jump
Just make sure you do it right the first time
'Cause nothin's worse than a Suicide Chump

You say there ain't no light a-shinin'
Through the bushes up ahead
'N we're all gonna be so sorry
When we find out you are dead
Go head on and get it over with then
Find you a bridge 'n take a jump
Just make sure you do it right the first time
'Cause nothin's worse than a Suicide Chump

Now maybe you're scared of jumpin'
'N poison makes you sick
'N you want a little attention
'N you need it pretty quick
Don't wanna mess your face up
Or we won't know if it's you
Aw, there's just so much to worry about
Now what you gonna do?
Go head on 'n get it over with then

You're on the bridge;
Scared to leap,
But a girl walks over
To take a peep. . .
She says: "DON'T DO IT"
But wouldn't you know...
The girl got a head
Like a buffalo
With a little red hair
All over the top
An' her breath would make the
Traffic stop
She says "I LOVE YOU...
BUT FIRST, LET'S EAT"
And all you can say as you run down the street
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 08:20
seems like PA members have Suicidal Tendencies... Wink
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 08:33
That has got to be the worst band EVER. 
RKS1987 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 08:48
Everybody knows the worst band ever is U2
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 10:41
^ true
Suicidal tendencies are not that bad...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 20:35
Sure it has, but the way I sometimes see it is that my life ended at 26.  Since I'm already dead, in a way, killing myself, or contemplating it, would be kind of pointless, sort of.  I find that thought strangely comforting. Big%20smile  Finish the job... Finish the job.  Oops, a little relapse there.

The daughter of one of my wife's friends recently committed suicide.  I would never want to give people that kind of pain no matter how hard my life can be.  I don't think it could be worse than the suffering that taking my life would inflict on my family.

And if you don't like your life, try to change it.  Attend an orgy, travel, do something different. Do something fun  and adventurous.  Challenge yourself.  For me, it was heavy exercise that most helped me... Hiking, rock-climbing, mountain biking, skiing, getting into nature and getting au naturelle.

Or if one is hell-bent on self-destruction, calm down, then plan to put your life on the line is some meaningful way for some good cause... don't throw it away, try to do good with it. Think those survival instincts would kick in pretty fast given the right situation.  If you became, say, a field medic in some war-ravaged zone -- when you're risking your life to save others -- or dish out soup in some bad part of town.  Actually, helping others is often the best way to help oneself.  Do something worthwhile and charitable.  Might build confidence and get one out of thinking so much about oneself.  Or do scary, adventurous things... Not stupid risky. Safe, but fun is best, actually.  Take climbing lessons or whatever... If you're a vegetarian, go ahead and eat that burger and fries.  Sure it's high in cholesterol and cruel to animals, but live a little.  You're living on borrowed time anyway, so go ahead and eat that bag of chips and smother it in mayonnaise.  Of course an unhealthy body is an unhappy body, but a little won't kill you... not that you'd mind if it did... If it did quickly that is, rather than slowly helping your arteries to become clogged... a slow death by mayo.  Or death by chocolate... Willie Wonka's chocolate factory style.

All that said, of course it depends on the situation and the person.  For some pharmaceutical drugs are needed, for others listening to Genesis or Marillion while having relations with a sunflower or a sardine is enough.  For me it's jazzy or funky music and a tall glass of wine (not chilled wine else my tackle gets hypothermia). 

Oh well, this a useless post.  Now I'm depressed.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 11:34

^Clap not a "useless post" by any means....you remind me of a friend I once had.

...well you were doing fine until the Genesis commentAngryLOL *very true*
Signature Writers Guild on strike
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 13:50
Thanks.

In that case, I can only hope your friend is doing alright now.  I'm worried.

The Genesis and Marillion comments could be better.  I regret that I didn't say haddock in a kilt (and in Fishnet stockings for fun) instead of sardine for my Fishy reference (then Marillion fans might have taken the bait hook...er, line and sinker...).
Just say no to being fishbait.  Keep that peter to yourself.  When it says don't feed the fish, don't be feedin' it to the fish (as I once did as I thought the sign at the aquarium said erotic rather than exotic fish... Darned blowfish).

Umm, this is just an exercise in writing a thoroughly useless post (thread self-combusts).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>