Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWindshield wipers all over the house

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windshield wipers all over the house
    Posted: December 23 2005 at 00:06
I've already posted some 30 posts without noticing the Newbies section. Pardon my faux pas. I must remember to hook up the spare brain from time to time.

Anyhow, I've actually been visiting this site for more than two, maybe three, years. I've used it to help me make my "list of things to get," which grows longer and longer each week. I only recently signed up in June 2005, mostly because I think I may be able to contribute something to the community. I have written three reviews and hope to write more, but my aim is to write them for titles that have less than 30 ratings, especially those with fewer than 10. I feel more than enough has been contributed to the big names, and I don't have much to add to them, so will probably only submit ratings. My problem is my general laziness, but hopefully I'll get off my rear quarters and add something useful. This is truly the best Internet resource I've found on this subject area and must congratulate you all on such a wonderful job you've done putting this site together.

I was born in 1969, so I pretty much missed the wonderful foundation years for progressive rock. My interest in music began at about the time I was in junior high. I made my first record purchase from Columbia Records in 1984 on their 5 for a penny deal in which you had to buy two more at regular prices within a year. My first purchases were Genesis' self-titled 1983 release, Yes' 90125, and ELO's Secret Messages, plus two more I can't remember and would probably be embarrassed if I did. Not the best starting places for these groups, eh?

The important thing is I liked those three works so much that it inspired me to buy more from each of them. I slowly worked through each of their catalogs backwards. This is where my eyes opened to the wonderful world of prog rock. My father introduced me to Pink Floyd, some earlier ELO, and the Moody Blues. Radio introduced me to Rush, ELP, and Asia. And those were the groups I would listen to over and over through my college years. While in college, I discovered Marillion and was absolutely blown away by Script for a Jester's Tear. I couldn't believe I had never heard of them before. Then finally after college, I picked up a Magna Carta tribute album of Pink Floyd's DSOTM. I thought, "Golly gee willickers, Batman, groups I never heard of before covering songs from one of my favorites!" The exploration continued and then the Internet was invented. I've been going uphill (or downhill if you like) ever since. First it was the GEPR, then Progression magazine, and now Prog Archives.

I'm quite fond of symphonic prog and its derivative cousin neo prog. Just started getting into Italian symphonic prog, some post rock, and a little prog metal. Obviously I have some more subgenres to check out. My favorites are 1970's Yes and Genesis, but I am really beginning to appreciate Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, Tangent, Glass Hammer, Magenta, IQ, White Willow, Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Anekdoten, Ayreon, Solaris, Steve Hillage, Ozric Tentacles, plus a host of more obscure groups.

Again, thanks for maintaining such a remarkable resource and allowing people from the prog community to contribute to it.

Also a warning. I have a sense of humor that is way out past leftfield and in the bullpen (or maybe even the parking lot), so if some of my posts make little sense or just seem too weird, please drive on through. After all, I hope to someday buy a house and install windshield wipers on every window. I think it would be pretty cool to look at when they're all flapping at the same time. Surely will raise the eyebrows of my neighbors.

With that said, I promise to behave myself.

NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 04:11

Hello and welcome.

It will be nice to have a forum memeber here who promises to behave themselves 

Glad to see your getting into VdGG, Steve Hillage....also look into Gong, kevin Ayers and Caravan.

Have fun

Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
progaeopteryx View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 17:39
Thanks for the welcome. I did get Angel's Egg and a compilation called Other Side of the Sky from Gong. I intend on getting the remaining two from the Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy. Caravan is on my list of things to get. I still need to get Green from Hillage. I'll check out Kevin Ayers. Thanks for the recommendations.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 18:02
Welcome Dude!!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 20:36

Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Welcome Dude!!

You know dude has been here awhile

But welcome

Enjoy your stay.

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 18:53

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 19:09

progaeopteryx View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 21:13
Thanks for welcome! I appreciate you all taking the time to welcome us newcomers. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 07:09

Click to enlarge

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply