FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNursery Cryme vs Fragile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 23:18
hahahaha... Allmusic... oh come on.  That site sucks.

My source is the bands book Close to the Edge,  and backed up by the fact that the album CHARTED in 1971 hahahahha.  They did several tours of the U.S. after it's release Ivan, and then were recording CttE in Februrary '72.  No way in hell that Fragile was released in '72.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 23:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahahaha... Allmusic... oh come on.  That site sucks.

My source is the bands book Close to the Edge,  and backed up by the fact that the album CHARTED in 1971 hahahahha.  They did several tours of the U.S. after it's release Ivan, and then were recording CttE in Februrary '72.  No way in hell that Fragile was released in '72.

then again..... I'll be man enough to say.... let me retract that post... and look this over hahahahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 23:22

Please, don't be stubborn, I'm providing you information from THE OFFICIAL YES WEB SITE, I'm giving you the links, and copied the information from the back of the original LP.

That's what pisses me, I give you three places and you only mention Allmusic, but you omit The Official Yes Web site and Prog Archives.

Iván

EDIT: And yes, Close to the Edge was recorded almost inmediately after Fragile because of contractual requirements made by A&M Records who owned the contract of Rick Wakeman and was forcing him to release his stuff.

If you check the album it says that Rick Wakeman appears by courtesy of A&M Records

Quote All titles, except "Cans and Brahms," produced by Cotillion, BMI.
Sleeve drawings and photography by Roger Dean
(Colour photograph of Bill Bruford on drums by David Wright)
Bank Loan arranged by Brian Lane
Recorded at Advision Studios, London, September 1971

Rick Wakeman appears courtesy of A & M Records Limited

Edited by ivan_2068

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 23:25
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Please, don't be stubborn, I'm providing you information from THE OFFICIAL YES WEB SITE, I'm giving you the links, and copied the information from the back of the original LP.

That's what pisses me, I give you three places and you only mention Allmusic, but you omit The Official Yes Web site and Prog Archives.

Iván

obviously I didn't catch them... I scrolled down and caught the first, didn't realize there were more.  Easy now....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 23:31
Ivan... well I'm a stubborn man. Just getting started I guess. From the excelent website of Yes's tours over the years.  A quote from someone at the show. 

11-03-71  "In 1971 I saw Yes at the Whisky A Go Go (touring to support the recent release of 'Fragile'), and the opening act was Mary Wells. Truly bizarre."

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 23:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Ivan... well I'm a stubborn man. Just getting started I guess. From the excelent website of Yes's tours over the years.  A quote from someone at the show. 

11-03-71  "In 1971 I saw Yes at the Whisky A Go Go (touring to support the recent release of 'Fragile'), and the opening act was Mary Wells. Truly bizarre."

hahahah I bet it was a bizzare show
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 23:40

Micky, the bands usually promote their albums before being released, in the case of Yes in 1971 it was necessary, because after recording Close to the Edge they wouldn't have enough time to tour due to Wakeman's obligations with A&M Records.

BTW: You're quoting SOMEONE'S phrase in a non official Yes site, this guy named SOMEONE can be wrong in dates and info.

I'm giving you not only the official Yes information, but the data copied from the back of the original release.

You can't get more than that, learn to accept when you're mistaken due to a wrong and unreliable information.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 00:05

You can't get more than that, learn to accept when you're mistaken due to a wrong and unreliable information.

Iván

oh come on now... do you want to get on my knees and admit you are right. You're better than that.   I'll accept when I'm mistaken when I find out WHY I'm mistaken.   Not until I find out why Fragile charted in '71 if it wasn't released.  If admitting I'm mistaken will make your day and get you out of this crappy mood you are in, I will after I'm convinced that I am.  Until then, I have some advice in return for you, lighten up and have some fun, imagine Yes and Mary Wells performing at the Whiskey. Bizarre!  hahahah
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 00:12

I give up, you're even more stubborn than me, when I read facts I have to accept my mistake, but you're entitled to your own reaction.

You know I'm right, the rest of the forum knows because the evidence is 100% accurate and incontrovertible (I wish I had this kind of evidence in my trials), but go on, you won't find places more reliable than the Official Yes site and Prog Archives.

BTW: I'm having fun, aren't you?

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 00:20

I give up, you're even more stubborn than me, when I read facts I have to accept my mistake, but you're entitled to your own reaction.

You know I'm right, the rest of the forum knows because the evidence is 100% accurate and incontrovertible (I wish I had this kind of evidence in my trials), but go on, you won't find places more reliable than the Official Yes site and Prog Archives.

BTW: I'm having fun, aren't you?

Iván

I'll take that as a compliment.  Yes I'm having fun, though I don't take to being lectured to, that is the province of my mother (and wife hahahaha). Ivan if I'm right or wrong... I don't care I'll admit if I wrong and I surely am.  If I'm wrong it was an honest mistake.  You know what I do on DDD,  what is important to me is getting it right, and finding out why my sources are wrong so I don't use them again.   Anyway, enjoyed the chat, and have a good night!

Edited by micky
Gomah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 01:05

From Wikipedia (though its information is not always valid):

Fragile was issued in the UK in November 1971, but held back in North America for two months because of the still-growing momentum of The Yes Album.

From BBC web site:

Yes (Atlantic 1969)***
Time And A Word (Atlantic 1970)***
The Yes Album (Atlantic 1971)****
Fragile (Atlantic 1971)****
Close To The Edge (Atlantic 1972)*****
Yessongs (Atlantic 1973)***
Tales From Topographic Oceans (Atlantic 1973)*
Relayer (Atlantic 1974)**
Going For The One (Atlantic 1977)***
Tormato (Atlantic 1978)*
Drama (Atlantic 1980)**
Yesshows (Atlantic 1980)**
90125 (Atco 1983)***
90125 Live-The Solos (Atco 1985)*
Big Generator (Atlantic 1987)**
Union (Arista 1991)**
Talk (Victory 1994)***
Keys To Ascension (CMC/BMG 1996)***
Keys To Ascension 2 (Castle/Cleopatra 1997)***
Open Your Eyes (Eagle/Beyond 1997)**
The Ladder (Eagle/Beyond 1999)****
House Of Yes: Live From House Of Blues (Eagle/Beyond 2000)***
Magnification (Eagle/Beyond 2001)***.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/artists/y/yes/#discogra phy

I hope that puts an end to the Fragile release date issue.

Edited by Gomah
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 01:20
Fragile was released Jan. 4 1972. I remember that because the 4th is my
birthday.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 01:29

Gomah: If you check the BBC discography is not even complte, because Yesterdays is not included, and Wikipedia is absolutely unreliable.

From the centerfold of the original 2003 release which I own, but copied from the Official Yescography Page:

____________________________________________________________ ____________

Album: Fragile
Artist: Yes
1972 Atlantic [UK LP], 2003 Elektra/Rhino [2003 extended and remastered]
CD: 82667-2 [first Atlantic remaster], 8122-73789-2 [2003 extended and remastered]

Band members:
Jon Anderson: vocals (1, 3, 4, 6, 7?, 9-11)
Bill Bruford: drums (1, 3-6, 9-11), percussion (1, 3-7, 9-11), keys (10)
Steve Howe: electric and acoustic guitars (1, 3-6, 8-11), vocals (1, 4, 6, 9-11)
Chris Squire: bass guitars (1, 3-7, 9-11), vocals (1, 4, 6, 7, 9-11)
Rick Wakeman: keys (organ, grand piano, electric piano, harpsichord, Mellotron, synthesizer) (1-6, 9-11)

Produced by Yes and Eddie Offord
Engineered by Eddie Offord, assisted by Gary Martin
Recorded at Advision Studios, London, Sep 1971
Original sleeve drawings, photography and logos by Roger Dean; photo of Bruford on drums by David Wright

2003 expanded and remastered release:
Reissue supervision: Steve Woolard, David McLees
Sound produced by Bill Inglot
Remastering: Dan Hersch, Bill Inglot
Art direction & design: Bryan Lasley with Greg Allen
Photography: Roger Dean, Martyn Dean
Liner notes by Bill Martin

____________________________________________________________ __________

Again, the information is not accurate for one simple reason, the album was recorded in September 1971 (As the credits clearly state) the cover was printed in November 1971 (That's why the serial number is 1971) but according to the ORIGINAL ALBUM and the OFFICIAL YES SITE, it was released in 1972 (January 4).

Now, if you want more, also from the Official Yescography site:

YES (ABWH) ALBUMS DISCOGRAPHY

Yes, 1969/expanded and remastered, 2003
Time and a Word, 1970/expanded and remastered, 2003
The Yes Album, 1971/expanded and remastered, 2003
Fragile, 1972/expanded and remastered, 2003
Close to the Edge, 1972
Yessongs, 1973
Tales from Topographic Oceans, 1973
Relayer, 1974
Yesterdays, 1974
Going for the One, 1977
Tormato, 1978
Drama, 1980
Yesshows, 1980
Classic Yes, 1981
90125, 1983
9012Live: The Solos, 1985
Big Generator, 1987
(ABWH) Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe, 1989
Union, 1991
YesYears, 1991
Yesstory, 1992
Highlights—The Very Best of Yes, 1993
(ABWH) An Evening of Yes Music Plus, 1993
Talk, 1994
Keys to Ascension, 1996
Keys to Ascension 2, 1997
Keys to Ascension Volume 1 & 2, 1997
Open Your Eyes, 1997
Something's Coming/Beyond and Before, 1997 (a.k.a. Radio Album)
The Ladder, 1999
The Masterworks—Mix Your Own CD, 2000
House of Yes—Live From The House of Blues, 2000
The Best of, 2000
Keystudio, 2001
Magnification, 2001
Extended Versions
Yes-today
In a Word: Yes (1969-   ), 2002
Yes Remixes, 2003
The Ultimate Yes—35th Anniversary Collection, 2003/2004
The Word is Live, 2005

Now, if you still don't want to believe all this sites, check WWW.YESWORLD.COM, the absolutely and original official website of Yes and all the members:

Fragile
Fragile

RELEASE INFO:

Atlantic 1972

MUSICIANS:

• Jon Anderson: Vocals
  • Chris Squire: Bass and vocals
  • Rick Wakeman: Keyboards
  • Bill Bruford: Drums
  • Steve Howe: Guitars and vocals

TRACKS:

1. Roundabout 8:29
  2. Cans And Brahms 1:35
  3. We Have Heaven 1:30
  4. South Side Of The Sky 8:04
  5. Five Percent For Nothing 0:35
  6. Long Distance Runaround 3:33
  7. The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus) 2:35
  8. Mood For A Day 3:57
  9. Heart Of The Sunrise 10:34

TOTAL TIME: 41:13

NOTES: Track 2 is an adaptation of Brahms' "Fourth Symphony in E minor, Third Movement" by Rick Wakeman. The original title of track 5 was "Suddenly It's Wednesday."

Please, don't insist, the first site I quoted is linked as the Official YESCOGRAPHY, and this last one is the complete and authorized YES OFFICIAL HOME.

You can't find anything more reliable than this, IT'S YES WHO PUBLISH THIS INFO!!!!! Not third persons, not Wikipedia, not the BBC, it's the one and only YES, whoi else can you trust more than that??????????????

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Gomah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 04:07

Iván:

I personally don't care when exactly it was released as I am neither a music historian nor a lawyer. But as a lawyer you already know that not all the information are simply out there even on the official web sites. Apparently Yes and affiliated web sites don't care to mention about those details. And the fact that BBC discography is not complete does NOT mean it is WRONG on dates.

I have the Fragile LP which is a 1972 release by Atlantic (SD-7211) with a green and red label. But there is an earlier release of this on plum Atlantic/Polydor label (2401019):

As for 'Fragile', again, the original issue UK red/plum (Atlantic; 2401-019), released Nov. 1971 is killer. You've not heard The Fish or Heart of the Sunrise unless you've heard this one. Contrary to popular belief, the red/green UK (Atlantic K50009) version was not released until Aug. 1972. The first US pressing is (Atlantic SD7211). Here is an oddity. I find that the UK first pressing is superior in every way to the first US pressing EXCEPT FOR South Side of the Sky which, for some unexplained reason, sounds much more dynamic on SD7211. Go figure. BTW, the second US pressing (Atlantic SD 19132) absolutely sucks. As for the Japanese version, all I can say is OY. They, IMHO, ruined this masterpiece by rolling of the bass (a sin given Squires' many phat and intricate chords on this LP). A real shame.  From: http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=272942

You can still argue what the guy said is BS and also what others say:

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4705562519,

but I don’t buy that and not going to argue anymore on this. Bottom line of the story is if you lived in UK in 1971, you could have bought the Fragile LP sometime in November and December of that year before the official US release date of Jan 4, 1972.

BTW, I like both NC and Fragile and don’t know which one I like more.

Edits: Still if you want more evidence on Fragile being released in Nov 1971, and you believe in Yesography, why dont you take a look at this:

http://www.relayer35.com/Yescography/Yescat.pdf

Go to page 10 and 11 and there you see.

Edited by Gomah
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 06:53
Originally posted by Gomah Gomah wrote:

Iván:

I personally don't care when exactly it was released as I am neither a music historian nor a lawyer. But as a lawyer you already know that not all the information are simply out there even on the official web sites. Apparently Yes and affiliated web sites don't care to mention about those details. And the fact that BBC discography is not complete does NOT mean it is WRONG on dates.

I have the Fragile LP which is a 1972 release by Atlantic (SD-7211) with a green and red label. But there is an earlier release of this on plum Atlantic/Polydor label (2401019):

As for 'Fragile', again, the original issue UK red/plum (Atlantic; 2401-019), released Nov. 1971 is killer. You've not heard The Fish or Heart of the Sunrise unless you've heard this one. Contrary to popular belief, the red/green UK (Atlantic K50009) version was not released until Aug. 1972. The first US pressing is (Atlantic SD7211). Here is an oddity. I find that the UK first pressing is superior in every way to the first US pressing EXCEPT FOR South Side of the Sky which, for some unexplained reason, sounds much more dynamic on SD7211. Go figure. BTW, the second US pressing (Atlantic SD 19132) absolutely sucks. As for the Japanese version, all I can say is OY. They, IMHO, ruined this masterpiece by rolling of the bass (a sin given Squires' many phat and intricate chords on this LP). A real shame.  From: http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=272942

You can still argue what the guy said is BS and also what others say:

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4705562519,

but I don’t buy that and not going to argue anymore on this. Bottom line of the story is if you lived in UK in 1971, you could have bought the Fragile LP sometime in November and December of that year before the official US release date of Jan 4, 1972.

BTW, I like both NC and Fragile and don’t know which one I like more.

Edits: Still if you want more evidence on Fragile being released in Nov 1971, and you believe in Yesography, why dont you take a look at this:

http://www.relayer35.com/Yescography/Yescat.pdf

Go to page 10 and 11 and there you see.

thanks for the info,  as they say here in America, don't quit until the fat lady sings hahahahha. Matches the info I've found Thanks Gomah! 

Ivan, are you are good at following your own advice as you are giving it.

Edited by micky
TheLamb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 09:56
Sorry to disturb your private conversation, micky and Ivan, I'd just like to note that Fragile was released in November 1, 1971 in the UK and Europe, but in the USA it was held back two months to Januray 4, 1972, because of the still uprising momentum and popularity of The Yes Album in the USA, which was released on March 1971 if I remember correctly..... I think because the fact that Atlantic Records is an american company, the official release date is considered January 1972, because that's the USA release date.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 11:19

Still have my doubts, because I have the 2003 reissue of Relayer and literally says:

1972 Atlantic [UK LP], 2003 Elektra/Rhino [2003 extended and remastered]
CD: 82667-2 

It mentions UK RELEASE 1972 not USA, clearly states UK, and it's the album.

Jon Anderson's site says:

Quote January, 1972
Yes - "Fragile" is released

Another one:

Quote Recorded in 1971 and released in 1972, Fragile arguably is the break out album for Yes

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=2725 

Now, here you can find another one:

timeline > 1972 | a to zed | faq < =http://search.atomz.com/search/ method=get>< =foot size=15 name=sp-q> < =image height=22 alt=Search! width=22 src="http://www.progressiverock.com/graphic/go_blue.gif" align=absMiddle value=search> < = value=sp09093100 name=sp-a>

1967 | 1968 | 1969 | 1970 | 1971 | 1972 | 1973 | 1974 | 1975 | 1976 | 1977 | 1978 | 1979
Fragile

Yes
Fragile
January 1972
Atlantic

1972 at progressiverock.com  

Now, even more:

Quote > 48M     ./1969 Yes
> 37M     ./1970 Time And A Word
> 48M     ./1971 The Yes Album
> 35M     ./1972 Close To The Edge
> 49M     ./1972 Fragile

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/ms g00360.html 

Another Bristih site:

January

Blue Oyster Cult - Blue Oyster Cult 
Bread - Baby I'm-a Want You 
Jackson Browne - Jackson Browne 
Al  Green - Let's Stay Together 
Michael Jackson - Got to Be There 
Linda Ronstadt - Linda Ronstadt 
Yes - Fragile 

The UK joins the European Common Market
Bloody Sunday in Northern Ireland: British soldiers kill 13
     demonstrators
http://www.timeisonourside.com/flowers72.html 

Still all the sources I check reveal it's from 1972, but the most important is the album which clearly states UK 1972.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, but still all the reliable sources (Including Prog Archives) confirm it's a 1972 album in UK.

Still and even when i admit the chance of a limited edition previous to the release (What is not proved), it's not enough to reach the charts in in 1971 (Less in USA), and there's no way it was released in September 1971 as Micky said.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Gomah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 16:37

Iván

I highly appreciate your attempts to prove your point, that makes a good lawyer out of you. But you know man, you missed the point here: High frequency of weak evidence specially on the internet does not make the evidence strong even if you present it in BOLD. All I’ve seen from you in this argument with Micky and me is that you keep on repeating yourself and mentioning web sites. I love Progarchives, but that does not mean what is written there is absolutely correct. The information is either from other web sites, as is the case for lots of web sites which just present other web sites information without referencing (and that’s a feature of internet you cannot avoid), or from the CD or LP sleeves and all of them are prone to mistakes or (careless) omission of facts.

The information I presented is not just another web site regurgitating the other, it’s more like witnesses who own or have seen those LPs testifying about the release date. While that information might be still erroneous, I think it is stronger than what you present; you simply don’t put an LP in a rare music auction and claim it’s is 1971 while it is not, because you have to deal with picky collectors. Also there are lots of web sites that exactly mention that Atlantic 2401-019 LP was first released in Nov 1971 and even there is an academic article in which it mentions that: (Ac)cumulative Form in Pop-Rock Music, MARK SPICER, Twentieth-Century Music, Volume 1, Issue 01, March 2004, pp 29-64:

Discography
What follows is a list of all the records analysed or cited in the article (in the case of singles, the B side is listed along with the A side only if it is analysed or cited). The month/year and catalogue information corresponds to that of the original UK release except where noted.

Yes. Mar. 1971. The Yes Album. Atlantic: 2400 101.
–––. Nov. 1971. Fragile. Atlantic: 2401 019.
–––. Sept. 1977. ‘Wonderous stories’. Atlantic: K 10999 (12").

And before you pick on that, yes, there is a 12" LP called "Wonderous stories" released in Sep. 1977.

And if you want to know about Dr. Mark Spicer: http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/~music/facultybios/spicer.shtml

And yes, it did reach the charts in 1971 in UK:
http://www.chartwatch.co.uk/TopTen/labels/lab49.htm

Ok, I think I said enough. Seriously, I am not going to spend any more time on this arguement.

Edits: I downloaded the above article and changed the part to reflect what is exactly in the article.

Edited by Gomah
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 16:44

Nursery Cryme is the better album - it's not by Yes.

QED.

Fritha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 17:54

In regards to the release year of Fragile, if you have the remastered King Crimson album, Islands, you will find a print that shows the chart from a (music?) paper, dating back to December 18 1971, and it clearly has Fragile charted at number 4. If this isn't reliable, what is?! LOL

As for the actual topic of this poll, I don't exactly love either of these records, but I guess I have more fun when listening to Nursery Cryme.

Edited by Fritha
I was made to love magic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>